Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ralf Little - Clarke Carlisle

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I couldn't decide if it read like some of the posters on here after there's a notable suicide (e.g. Gary Speed) where some people seem to not understand how some people can be so selfish, or if it read like a man who had been surrounded by this for so long he is just fed up with it. He wouldn't be the first person to lose patience with a friend/family member who has mental health/addiction problems.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I can remember a significant number of Albion fans singing "You're just a sad alcoholic" at Clarke Carlisle at one game. Can't remember who he was playing for at the time- QPR maybe? He'd just got back to playing after a spell in rehab.

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer
I feel strongly that if you want to kill yourself and you decide to choose a method that will potentially kill other people then you deserve everything you get if you survive.

That lorry driver could have been killed at the wheel, the lorry could have careered across the road, other road users could have ploughed into it. If you are so mentally sick that you cannot see this then you need to be in a mental hospital getting treatment, not let loose in society.

My daughter-in-law works in Mental Health Care, (she practises on me). For years now she has been pulling her hair out with the ever decreasing number of Mental Health Beds available (another 2,000+ lost last year alone). Feeling in despair or suicidal will no longer guarantee you a bed, limited day care is best most get offered. Which all adds up I guess toward the increase in suicides.
Basically I guess it's all about money. :(

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Life is so easy for some, which obviously makes them so judgemental. Mental illness is just one of many issues that people struggle to control drug addicts, people with weight issues, alcoholics, people with compulsive disorders, people with anger issues to name a few, if only if it was just a simple as switching a switch to pull yourself out of it. Many problems are destructive by nature and the people who suffer can not always see the signs or pull themselves back from the edge.

And this excuses him from the crimes he has committed does it?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
My daughter-in-law works in Mental Health Care, (she practises on me). For years now she has been pulling her hair out with the ever decreasing number of Mental Health Beds available (another 2,000+ lost last year alone). Feeling in despair or suicidal will no longer guarantee you a bed, limited day care is best most get offered. Which all adds up I guess toward the increase in suicides.
Basically I guess it's all about money. :(

Absolutely this. Have some very recent experience of close family with serious depression and have seen the impact on them and others including unfortunately the taking of a life. It's not just the lack of beds in suitable facilities - it's the lack of care and attention way before that which could avoid some of the more serious cases escalating in that way.mI don't for one minute blame the staff involved, just that they are simply too thinly spread to manage their caseloads as they would wish.

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
I can remember a significant number of Albion fans singing "You're just a sad alcoholic" at Clarke Carlisle at one game. Can't remember who he was playing for at the time- QPR maybe? He'd just got back to playing after a spell in rehab.

I was at that game. Loftus rd. 0-0 January 1st. (i think)

The chanting was below par. Not a proud moment to be a Brighton fan.

I also remember a young wonderkid called Jake Robinson coming on as a sub that game. Exciting times back then.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Ralf Little on the other hand in my opinion is a nasty piece of work. All he was doing was settling old scores and that is clear from the early paragraphs of his post.

This is how it came across to me although I thought **** as opposed to nasty piece of work.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Life is so easy for some, which obviously makes them so judgemental. Mental illness is just one of many issues that people struggle to control drug addicts, people with weight issues, alcoholics, people with compulsive disorders, people with anger issues to name a few, if only if it was just a simple as switching a switch to pull yourself out of it. Many problems are destructive by nature and the people who suffer can not always see the signs or pull themselves back from the edge.

Any consideration for those who have had their lives ruined by road accidents ?

In a lucid and introspective moment, he might have chosen to throw away his car keys and never get behind a wheel again.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Any consideration for those who have had their lives ruined by road accidents ?

In a lucid and introspective moment, he might have chosen to throw away his car keys and never get behind a wheel again.

I can't speak for experience of depression ..although i can speak for a period on my life of what i would call a crisis that would come under the very broad term of mental health issues.....and I know that during that period I was just trying to survive in this 'modern' world (or not on the odd occasion) ...it can make you very selfish in your thoughts ..you don't necessarily think about others when you contemplate doing certain things.
I have no idea what Carlisle was thinking when he started to get back in his car again,,,,it obviously wasn't right (and you are right to state about people who lose there lives because of the selfishness of others) ...but i'm not so sure judging him is of any help if we are to understand (cure?) what drives people into such reckless actions

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

1234andcounting

Mar 31, 2008
This thread is very pertinent to me atm. Some of you may have read what I wrote about my brother, who took his own life just before Christmas. Since then, I have been to his house and found much of the medical correspondence, notes of meetings, hand-written notes from medical professionals trying to get in touch with him and his own comments on his own life. His actions could be considered selfish but it is clear from everything I have read that this was the decision of a deeply troubled mind and one well beyond my comprehension. What caused his long decline will, most likely, never be established for sure. For sure, there are more selfish methods of committing suicide than hanging yourself (which is what Veggie Dave did) but maybe not everyone has that degree of "courage". It doesn't make them any less ill.

Several people have mentioned "sectioning", not really an option for depression I believe, given the current constraints and approaches to mental health.

Mental health is still much understood and, I believe, much feared. Whatever his own shortcomings as a human being, Clarke Carlisle has done a public service in making his problems well known. I wonder whether Ralf Little would have made similar comments if he had been suffering from terminal cancer or motor neurone disease?

For all those of you casting judgement - remember the old saying about walking a mile in someone's shoes.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Funny thing is, I wrote a response directly to Little, telling him that I thought he was mistaken but not a ****, after further reflection though, I was wrong and you are right.

Whatever the rights and wrongs of Carlisle's actions Little's outburst is very cheap, and very unnecessary. Little might have a valid point (I don't think it is personally) but now is not the time and the public arena isn't the place.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
This thread is very pertinent to me atm. Some of you may have read what I wrote about my brother, who took his own life just before Christmas. Since then, I have been to his house and found much of the medical correspondence, notes of meetings, hand-written notes from medical professionals trying to get in touch with him and his own comments on his own life. His actions could be considered selfish but it is clear from everything I have read that this was the decision of a deeply troubled mind and one well beyond my comprehension. What caused his long decline will, most likely, never be established for sure. For sure, there are more selfish methods of committing suicide than hanging yourself (which is what Veggie Dave did) but maybe not everyone has that degree of "courage". It doesn't make them any less ill.

Several people have mentioned "sectioning", not really an option for depression I believe, given the current constraints and approaches to mental health.

Mental health is still much understood and, I believe, much feared. Whatever his own shortcomings as a human being, Clarke Carlisle has done a public service in making his problems well known. I wonder whether Ralf Little would have made similar comments if he had been suffering from terminal cancer or motor neurone disease?

For all those of you casting judgement - remember the old saying about walking a mile in someone's shoes.

Two people I thought I knew have killed themselves in the past 12 months, both by jumping in front of trains - our friend Roy Chuter was one of them.

Leaving aside the question of why they wanted to end it all, in both cases I couldn't square the personality with the fact that they would be traumatising an innocent person (the train driver) by choosing that particular form of death. But of course, the more I thought about it, the more I realised that they weren't thinking straight in any case, so I suppose that explains Clark Carlisle's actions, although it doesn't excuse them.

And, just as we can't see the situation from inside Clark Carlisle's head, Ralf Little has probably had to put up with stuff that most haven't. If you've lived in close proximity to mentally ill people, you'll know that - luckily only an in-law in my case, but bad enough.

One other thing - CC played for football clubs with the resources to have arranged better treatment than is available on the NHS. But they don't seem to have acted, for whatever reason.

1234andcounting

Mar 31, 2008
One other thing - CC played for football clubs with the resources to have arranged better treatment than is available on the NHS. But they don't seem to have acted, for whatever reason.

Football club pastoral care for players is appalling. So many casualties and, as you say, no excuse with the money in the game now. They spend enough on their physical wellbeing.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
Two people I thought I knew have killed themselves in the past 12 months, both by jumping in front of trains - our friend Roy Chuter was one of them.

Leaving aside the question of why they wanted to end it all, in both cases I couldn't square the personality with the fact that they would be traumatising an innocent person (the train driver) by choosing that particular form of death. But of course, the more I thought about it, the more I realised that they weren't thinking straight in any case, so I suppose that explains Clark Carlisle's actions, although it doesn't excuse them.

And, just as we can't see the situation from inside Clark Carlisle's head, Ralf Little has probably had to put up with stuff that most haven't. If you've lived in close proximity to mentally ill people, you'll know that - luckily only an in-law in my case, but bad enough.

The PFA is rolling with cash so why haven't they helped ?

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
There is a statistic on suicides that many people are unaware of.

Many people think that the majority of people who commit sicide are actually people suffering from mental health issues. This is in fact incorrect. The largest group who commit suicide are actually people who have been diagnosed with a terminal illness. Perhaps say cancer and who don't want to go through a year or two of gradually ill failing health.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here