[Football] Raising awareness about Morecambe

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
Staring into the pit of abyss...

Morecambe directors have warned the League Two club faces a “catastrophic outcome” unless the current owners agree to sell.

The club was put up for sale in September 2022 by Jason Whittingham of Bond Group but with no deal concluded, the club are in turmoil. They were deducted three points by the English Football League last season for failing to pay players on time and Whittingham was fined £10,000. He was also given a suspended fine of £20,000, which is due to be activated on 31 May unless he deposits a sum equal to 125% of the monthly wage bill to cover any future delays.

Morecambe, who finished 15th this season, are also manager-less after Ged Brannan left to become No 2 at Accrington Stanley and have five players under contract.

The contracts of 16 players have expired – 12 were not offered new terms and four rejected new deals – while five loanees have returned to their parent club. Farrend Rawson, the club captain, was among those who turned down a new contract having previously described the running of the club as “a shambles” and appealing for Bond Group to sell.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Thought I'd just get in there first 😊

Morecambe-&-wise_skip-dance.jpg

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
I lived there for a year in 1981/82. It was a bit squalid, but the sunsets over the Lakes were fantastic.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Staring into the pit of abyss...

Morecambe directors have warned the League Two club faces a “catastrophic outcome” unless the current owners agree to sell.

The club was put up for sale in September 2022 by Jason Whittingham of Bond Group but with no deal concluded, the club are in turmoil. They were deducted three points by the English Football League last season for failing to pay players on time and Whittingham was fined £10,000. He was also given a suspended fine of £20,000, which is due to be activated on 31 May unless he deposits a sum equal to 125% of the monthly wage bill to cover any future delays.

Morecambe, who finished 15th this season, are also manager-less after Ged Brannan left to become No 2 at Accrington Stanley and have five players under contract.

The contracts of 16 players have expired – 12 were not offered new terms and four rejected new deals – while five loanees have returned to their parent club. Farrend Rawson, the club captain, was among those who turned down a new contract having previously described the running of the club as “a shambles” and appealing for Bond Group to sell.
This is what happens when a small non league club breaks in to the league. To stay there costs money. Mind you, easy to be Wise about Morecombe after the event!

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
Lovely RSPB place close to Morecombe Bay
Leighton Moss - I mentioned it yesterday on the holiday thread as a destination suggestion (well the village of Silverdale where it is closely situated) - I also mentioned Silverdale had stunning views over Morecambe Bay. Someone mentioned the danger of the tidal flats at Morecambe and thought there should be more public information to visitors of the risks.

Which is a really roundabout way of me saying, when I saw this thread title, I thought the OP had taken it upon himself to raise awareness about crossing the sands at Morecombe.

End of the season - I’m switched to holiday mode 😎

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I heard He-Man actor Dolph Lundgren was looking into purchasing Morecambe along with Curb Your Enthusiasm creator Larry David and have a show called "Less is Morecambe" on Paramount Plus.
I've read this 4 times, and I still don't get it.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Thought I'd just get in there first 😊

View attachment 182743
Morecambe not wise.

Seriously though, so many clubs are a breath away from Morecambe. The costs of running the club have gone up significantly while incomes aren’t changing.

Having read a certain poster’s book my sense is that the story is different at the top of the pyramid where profits are either made or debt serviced nicely.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports