Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Rainfall

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Surely our winters aren’t usually this wet? Is this the (globally warmed?) future or what we usually experience?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
winter is usually wet. it is above average rainfall, though last year was exceptionally dry.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
Surely our winters aren’t usually this wet? Is this the (globally warmed?) future or what we usually experience?
No, I don't think they are usually this wet.

What we are getting now is weather we would normally associate with the autumn, with a series of Atlantic depressions, giving us mild and wet weather.
I don't know what this means for our normal winter weather, whether it has been displaced or pushed out into the future etc.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
It is been consistently raining since I moved to Worthing at the end of Sept. I feared I may actully have moved to Manchester by mistake. It never rained like this in Hove!
In Britain, it is usually wetter the further west you go (y)

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
This suggests we've been on a bit of a "wet streak" since September.

We need @Papa Lazarou, the sage of Sussex weather, to report from the Durrington weather station.

November was exceptionally wet 295mm here

Nov Weather.PNG

December was wet, but with a cold and dry spell pre Christmas

Dec Weather.PNG

January has started wet, but nothing unusual, but there is more to come, including Saturday for the football.

Jan so far.PNG

forecast.png

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Whose old enough to remember the drought last summer?

It's pissing down here. So much so, I haven't walked the dog and it is giving me evils.
Got pretty wet at 7am on the Downs with mine.

Accuweather seems to be suggesting it will stop in around 30 minutes, so it might be a dry lunchtime walk.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
Done some analysis for 2022. Brown blobs, below average, Blue = on average, Red = Above.

Overall, 2022 delivered 1026mm here versus the long term climate average of 880mm

November is the BIG outlier, almost 300% of the expcted rainfall.
View attachment 155589
Done some analysis for 2022. Brown blobs, below average, Blue = on average, Red = Above.

Overall, 2022 delivered 1026mm here versus the long term climate average of 880mm

November is the BIG outlier, almost 300% of the expcted rainfall.
View attachment 155589
That's a proper outlier.

Do you know of any reason why it happened?

I remember during the heatwaves in July and August, there was a discussion, probably from the Met Office, about the jet stream being locked in place for a while, trapping warm air in heat domes in five places around the globe, including UK/western Europe, US and China. Could November's rainfall be the result of a similar phenomenon, with an Atlantic depression getting trapped over the UK? Note that this is wild guess; I don't really know what I'm talking about.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here