Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Railway silly season

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
Bollocks you can't break a journey, even on pre-booked journeys I have often been allowed out of the station for a cigarette.
Of course if they'd let you smoke on the platform it wouldn't be an issue.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Ok, consider this example. Often in the shops you'll find, say, a 1.5L bottle of Volvic on special offer at £1. The 500ml bottles are not on offer and are at their normal price of £1.10. If you take a 500ml bottle to the till, what do you expect to be charged?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
It really is absolutely hilarious reading how some muppets are actually defending this.

But we're going round and round in circles. Quite clearly, either the pricing or the Ts & Cs are completely and utterly ridiculous. Still, BobCrow Hut is insistent that his members were only doing what they were told to do and protecting revenue for his members at the same time. It doesn't matter that customer service is non existent and common sense has not been applied, as long as his members are alright.

Third world and VILLAGE.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
It really is absolutely hilarious reading how some muppets are actually defending this.

But we're going round and round in circles. Quite clearly, either the pricing or the Ts & Cs are completely and utterly ridiculous. Still, BobCrow Hut is insistent that his members were only doing what they were told to do and protecting revenue for his members at the same time. It doesn't matter that customer service is non existent and common sense has not been applied.

Third world and VILLAGE.

I have no members as I do not even work for a TOC, however your vision is totally warped and incorrect

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Ok, consider this example. Often in the shops you'll find, say, a 1.5L bottle of Volvic on special offer at £1. The 500ml bottles are not on offer and are at their normal price of £1.10. If you take a 500ml bottle to the till, what do you expect to be charged?

What has that got to do with it? Easy explained it perfectly.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Because they purchased a cheap ticket with Ts & Cs that they broke therefore liable to a fine if caught.

We know they are liable for a fine. The issue is with the ridiculous T&Cs. Would you still defend these people if somewhere in the T&Cs it said you had to balance a ham sandwich on your head at all times during the journey? Hopefully not. In the same way balancing a ham sandwich on the head is deemed ridiculous....a number of people also think not allowing passengers to jump off the train early is ridiculous. Hopefully you can see the link here, and bridge this further and grasp the main gripe on this thread.

I am going to bed now, hopefully the sound of the penny dropping will not wake me up.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Quite clearly, either the pricing or the Ts & Cs are completely and utterly ridiculous.

Or the ticket inspectors ( and some people on here ) understanding of the T&Cs.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I doubt it. Your normal course of action is to whinge and whine when you don't get your own way isn't it?

Not at all, you are by defending something you know very little about and then making assumptions that are wrong, but carry on making a CAUC of yourself

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
They didn't BREAK the journey. They TERMINATED it.

If they'd tried to get on another train later to complete the journey with that ticket then fine, throw the book at them. But to fine them just for getting off early is utterly INSANE.

I'd have gone nuts. Absolutely nuts, and probably ended up being arrested.

It is absolutely 100% complete bonkers. Completely indefensible.

Surely by simply restricting the amount of £6 tickets for sale, that's enough to "protect their revenue..."

I can just imagine the conversations that go on at head office. "This is a great new product Barry, but have you considered the possibility of people leaving the train early...."

:lolol: :lolol: :lolol:

Why haven't our other great industries discovered this brilliant method of selling products. They should try it at the cinema, or maybe at the supermarket.

Imagine - you get given a gift voucher to spend at Marks and Spencer for £50 but you only manage to spend £40. You get to the till and they decide to fine you because you haven't used it all up.

I'm sorry sir, it says quite clearly in the terms and conditions that the voucher must be redeemed for the full amount. In light of the shortfall, we are authorised to charge you double the standard spend which has been set this year at a packet of Y-Fronts and a dressing gown.

What about mobile phone time ? You buy 100 minutes credit, but only use 80. They fine you the cost of 200 minutes credit because what you should have done was buy 150 minutes credit and the 100 minutes credit was only applicable in the case of using it all up.

Anyone else trying to sell products on that basis with such ridiculous terms and conditions would get laughed out of town.

But of course us the simple consumer doesn't understand - we're not part of the equation, we're simply the fools who put up with this utter utter nonsense.

Fined for LEAVING a train, I repeat fined for LEAVING a train. They sell tickets on the basis that you get FINDED for leaving a train.

Last edited:

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
We know they are liable for a fine. The issue is with the ridiculous T&Cs. Would you still defend these people if somewhere in the T&Cs it said you had to balance a ham sandwich on your head at all times during the journey? Hopefully not. In the same way balancing a ham sandwich on the head is deemed ridiculous....a number of people also think not allowing passengers to jump off the train early is ridiculous. Hopefully you can see the link here, and bridge this further and grasp the main gripe on this thread.

I am going to bed now, hopefully the sound of the penny dropping will not wake me up.
BobCrow Hut will ignore this simple fact and simply continue with his "contract was broken" drivel, as if we're not actually aware of that fact.

But this is all fine, as long as his members have their revenue protected.

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
It's exactly the same thing. You're offered a certain price for a certain amount of water, it doesn't mean they'll give you less for the same price.

I'm not saying it makes sense.

No it's not - you have to BUY the whole bottle but not drink all the water. I can see it now "Sorry sir but you only consumed 500Ml of that bottle so we'll have to charge you the undiscounted 500Ml price now" :facepalm:

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Not at all, you are by defending something you know very little about and then making assumptions that are wrong, but carry on making a CAUC of yourself
Priceless. I'm defending the decision of a passenger to get off his train two stops early without being fined.

You're right, I know so little about that. If only it wasn't as complicated as rocket science. Thankfully brainbox BobCrow Hut is here to tell us how it really is. :thumbsup:

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM

Well if you're going to take that comparison to its logical conclusion, it's like then buying the 1.5L bottle, then subsequently being charged EXTRA for not drinking all of the water.

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
well if you're going to take that comparison to its logical conclusion, it's like then buying the 1.5l bottle, then subsequently being charged extra for not drinking all of the water.

snap

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
It's exactly the same thing. You're offered a certain price for a certain amount of water, it doesn't mean they'll give you less for the same price.

I'm not saying it makes sense.

Do you get fined for not drinking it all... :lolol:

I'm reminded of the procedure they had on Virgin trains for offering people a "free coffee" when the train was badly delayed.

I went to get my coffee and was asked whether a wanted a coffee or a free coffee.

They had special free coffee cups that were half the size of the normal ones. Technically I think that's half a free coffee.

But it's got me thinking and now it makes sense. Perhaps they were doing that because the terms and conditions that said if I accepted a normal free coffee I did so under the understanding that I drank it all.

If I left half the coffee I would be liable to be fined twice the cost of standard coffee which has been arbitrarily set at £50.

By accepting a half free coffee, I did so under the understanding that I could break the drinking of the coffee at any part of my journey.

It may be half the size of the normal coffee but it is a flexible product that be purchased for nothing if the customer is willing to pre-plan their journey on a heavily delayed service.

Last edited:

willingdon_seagull

Mar 5, 2008
This situation is something like what happened to me recently. I purchased an advance purchase single ticket for the 11:17 Victoria to Eastbourne train for around £8. I decided to leave the train at Lewes as a mate of mine asked if I wanted to go for a pint. After a few pints of Harveys I went back to the station and there were some ticket inspectors on the station entrance where the car park is. They told me that I would have to purchase a new ticket as this ticket was only valid on the 11:17 train from Victoria to Eastbourne and on THAT train only. They also said that strictly speaking I should have continued on that train to Eastbourne and not left the train at Lewes. I had to pay again to get to Eastbourne, fair dos I say. Even with the single from Lewes to Eastbourne I still think its a fair deal. Rules are rules I guess?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
This situation is something like what happened to me recently. I purchased an advance purchase single ticket for the 11:17 Victoria to Eastbourne train for around £8. I decided to leave the train at Lewes as a mate of mine asked if I wanted to go for a pint. After a few pints of Harveys I went back to the station and there were some ticket inspectors on the station entrance where the car park is. They told me that I would have to purchase a new ticket as this ticket was only valid on the 11:17 train from Victoria to Eastbourne and on THAT train only. They also said that strictly speaking I should have continued on that train to Eastbourne and not left the train at Lewes. I had to pay again to get to Eastbourne, fair dos I say. Even with the single from Lewes to Eastbourne I still think its a fair deal. Rules are rules I guess?
Yes that is perfectly fair and completely different to the situation we're arguing about.

I'm not surprised you can't be arsed to wade through this, but what has happened here is that a bloke bought a ticket for London to Soton on a specified train. He then got off two stops early (terminating his journey for good) and was fined £100.

He didn't attempt to get back on, and he WAS fined an absurd amount of money. Beach Hut and Ernest both seem to think this is OK, the daft simpletons. :lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here