Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Railway silly season

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I can't be bothered to trawl but look at the SWT site and it will state very clearly the Ts & Cs - so Southerns are different, believe or not a different company so each one has a different set of Ts & Cs.

I expect each airline has a different set of Ts & Cs as well but let's just ignore that shall we ?

OK - I've done a search of SWT web site as well. Nothing about terminating your journey early.

So, two train operator sites down and nobody has managed to show that there really is such a T&C. I'm all for sticking to T&Cs but they do really have to exist to be valid !!!!!!! :facepalm:

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
BEACH HUT. What would happen if you were not happy with the service provided and you wished to vacate you seat to find an alternative form of transport?

Say for instance the heating was broken, over the winter period (as with FCC last year on most services)... Or you simply did not think the service was satisfactory and you wished to disembark and find an alternative means of transport... Or your carriage was full of screaming children and there were no other vacant seats in the train and you were upset/unsettled with your fellow travellers... and so on.

BOF, that is totally different as you are terminating the journey due to being dissatisfied with the service, this was not the case during this journey.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
OK - I've done a search of SWT web site as well. Nothing about terminating your journey early.

So, two train operator sites down and nobody has managed to show that there really is such a T&C. I'm all for sticking to T&Cs but they do really have to exist to be valid !!!!!!! :facepalm:

If that is the case then SWT are wrong and they should apply for a refund, as they have not I am not so sure the company are wrong with what they did.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
BEACH HUT. What would happen if you were not happy with the service provided and you wished to vacate you seat to find an alternative form of transport?

Say for instance the heating was broken, over the winter period (as with FCC last year on most services)... Or you simply did not think the service was satisfactory and you wished to disembark and find an alternative means of transport... Or your carriage was full of screaming children and there were no other vacant seats in the train and you were upset/unsettled with your fellow travellers... and so on.

Or what if the train pulled in at Eastleigh, someone committed suicide, and all trains were halted until further notice. Would all the people who had paid to go to Southampton be LOCKED ON THE TRAIN until it got moving again ?

"Sorry guv, you've paid till Southampton and thats where you're getting off sunshine. Put your bags back in the overhead rack and sit back down, theres a good chap".

Its frightening that to some people on here, that actually makes sense.

:shootself:

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
As your namesake says, Easy...........

Because they purchased a cheap ticket with Ts & Cs that they broke therefore liable to a fine if caught.
What sort of answer is that? (Apart from a crap one obviously)

If the Ts and Cs had said "must scratch your nose every ten minutes" and the passenger hadn't done so, you're saying that would be losing the rail company revenue too?

It's obvious that employees are a hundred times more important to you than customers. You're worse than Bob Crow! :lolol:

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Or what if the train pulled in at Eastleigh, someone committed suicide, and all trains were halted until further notice. Would all the people who had paid to go to Southampton be LOCKED ON THE TRAIN until it got moving again ?

"Sorry guv, you've paid till Southampton and thats where you're getting off sunshine. Put your bags back in the overhead rack, theres a good chap".

Its frightening that to some people on here, that actually makes sense.

:shootself:

Yes that makes sense as a service disruption, please advise me if this happened on the journey where the issue is at hand as it appears not.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
What sort of answer is that? (Apart from a crap one obviously)

If the Ts and Cs had said "must scratch your nose every ten minutes" and the passenger hadn't done so, you're saying that would be losing the rail company revenue too?

It's obvious that employees are a hundred times more important to you than customers. You're worse than Bob Crow! :lolol:

A man I despise so clearly you know everything, the crux of the matter is a journey is a contract and this was a specific contract as a cheaper ticket but they decided to break that contract.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
So it makes perfect sense to you that a passenger, a fully paid up customer, is not allowed to hop off at a station that the train has already stopped at anyway, but two stops EARLIER than the station they'd paid to travel to, without incurring an additional hefty fine ?

Lets get this clear - that makes perfect sense to you ?

A fully paid up customer? No. But these were not fully paid up customers (at least, not fully paid up for the Eastleigh stop).

How on earth have they lost any revenue ?

Ticket to ride the train from London to anywhere as far as Eastleigh - £28.50
Ticket from London specifically to Southampton special discount price - £6

Because they bought the £6 ticket to Southampton and got off at Eastleigh, the train company is out £22.50 per person.

Last edited:

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
A man I despise so clearly you know everything, the crux of the matter is a journey is a contract and this was a specific contract as a cheaper ticket but they decided to break that contract.

They haven't according to the train operators web site and you and a number of others are defending the train companies when there is no evidence that they actually have that T&C.

Last edited:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Yes that makes sense as a service disruption, please advise me if this happened on the journey where the issue is at hand as it appears not.

Oh, so common sense and discretion CAN actually come into play can it ? I thought the T&C's were always right and utterly indisputable.

So given that a bit of common sense can come into play, if you were confronted with two people who had paid to go to Southampton but had got off 2 stops early, surely as a perfectly sensible and reasonable chap, and a fully paid-up member of the human race, you'd wave them through and bid them good day ?

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
"This is a response to Westdene"

I don't disagree with you however I am quite sure they would not have done what they did if they perceived it was not correct.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Oh, so common sense and discretion CAN actually come into play can it ? I thought the T&C's were always right and utterly indisputable.

So given that a bit of common sense can come into play, if you were confronted with two people who had paid to go to Southampton but had got off 2 stops early, surely as a perfectly sensible and reasonable chap, and a fully paid-up member of the human race, you'd wave them through and bid them good day ?

Not when a person is paid to protect their company's revenue.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

£28.50 to one station, £22.50 LESS to go further. Which ever way you look at it it is insane, either the conditions or the prices. If I explained this to a foreign visitor they would look at me in a strange way, and start doing that twirly finger thing on the temple of their head.

Last edited:

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
You always have to pay extra to break a train journey... I can't believe this conversation is happening. If I get a ticket from Brighton to london but get off at haywards Heath for a a pint, i'd have to pay extra or face a fine, whether or not I intended to continue to London afterwards.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
You always have to pay extra to break a train journey... I can't believe this conversation is happening. If I get a ticket from Brighton to london but get off at haywards Heath for a a pint, i'd have to pay extra or face a fine, whether or not I intended to continue to London afterwards.

Yes but you understand what you purchased where as others are fail to acknowledge this.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
A fully paid up customer? No. But these were not fully paid up customers (at least, not fully paid up for the Eastleigh stop).

Because they bought the £6 ticket to Southampton and getting off at Eastleigh, the train company is out £22.50 per person.

:lolol: Classic. Absolutely classic.

Only in this country could you be expected to pay £22.50 MORE in order to travel 2 stops LESS on your return journey. You couldn't make it up.

Any sensible, fully functioning human being would of course purchase the return tickets at the discounted price and think absolutely NOTHING of hopping off two stops early coming back. Thats perfectly reasonable and affects nobody.

Except we have people like you lurking around with the smallprint and the rulebooks waiting to catch these people out with a completely NONSENSICAL rule that you somehow believe is perfectly justifiable.

UNbelievable.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail

I have never had to, unless you are talking solely about a pre-booked journey. (Not that I would get out at Haywards Heath.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

They didn't BREAK the journey. They TERMINATED it.

If they'd tried to get on another train later to complete the journey with that ticket then fine, throw the book at them. But to fine them just for getting off early is utterly INSANE.

I'd have gone nuts. Absolutely nuts, and probably ended up being arrested.

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003

FFS have people on here lost the ability to understand English - BREAK and TERMINATE have two completely different meanings !!!!!!!!!!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here