Railway silly season

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
This whole drama isn't about refunds, upgrades of missed flights - or trains. It's about the act of being allowed to leave the train early.

- 'There's my house, over there, this is where I would need to get off...'
- 'Right that's an extra penalty fare for conning us into thinking you needed to stay on this train for longer...'

Come off it, if that is their house over there why buy a ticket from a station two stops down the line ?

A purchase of that ticket is a contract with specific Ts & Cs which they broke so therefore subject to a penalty if caught.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
The T&C's I posted in 156 are SW Trains. The couple were not fined in accordance with them, and nor should any one else be as they are nonsense.
Suppose I bought a return or two singles and got a lift back instead of my return journey, are you going to send the boys round and put a horses head in my bed for my not using the other half of the ticket, it's ok I don't want a refund. :US:

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
The T&C's I posted in 156 are SW Trains. The couple were not fined in accordance with them, and nor should any one else be as they are nonsense.
Suppose I bought a return or two singles and got a lift back instead of my return journey, are you going to send the boys round and put a horses head in my bed for my not using the other half of the ticket, it's ok I don't want a refund. :US:

You are a bit silly really.

Why would a company fine someone when they have gained from them not using what they purchased. :facepalm:

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Christ, I can't believe that terms and conditions are being used as an excuse for a ridiculous fine.

What would happen if you were not happy with the service provided and you wanted to get off halfway there and find an alternative form of transport to your destination?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Is this £40 a discount fee to a specific destination (cheaper than the normal price of taking you to where it is you've gotten out), with the proviso that you may only get out at the pre-agreed destination point?

It seems you're determined not to acknowledge the distinction that they didn't buy a ticket to ride a train line, they paid a special discount ticket for a specific destination that is cheaper than a ticket to a different destination earlier in their route. In doing so they cheated the company out of the correct fare for the journey they took. Since you can't (or won't) acknowledge this, the decision will never make sense to you.

So it makes perfect sense to you that a passenger, a fully paid up customer, is not allowed to hop off at a station that the train has already stopped at anyway, but two stops EARLIER than the station they'd paid to travel to, without incurring an additional hefty fine ?

Lets get this clear - that makes perfect sense to you ?

If so then yes, I give up. The world (or at least this poxy country) has gone mad, and I find it quite unbelievable that people think that is ok. No WONDER we get the piss ripped out of us by rail companies when they know some people will happily swallow what basically boils down to extortion.

They're onto a winner.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
To be honest, if I had failed enough in my life to be working on a train I'd probably get my kicks out of shit like this too.

Yeah yeah, really pleased for you as I don't work on a train.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

Why would a company fine someone when they have gained from them not using what they purchased. :facepalm:
:facepalm:

But that's precisely what happened in the case quoted. The rail company gained from seats freed up but still fined the passengers.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

BUT THATS EXACTLY WHAT THEY HAVE GONE AND DONE !!!

These people got off EARLY, and vacated two more seats that could be used by OTHER people

GAAAHH
I'm going for a run in the rain

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
BUT THATS EXACTLY WHAT THEY HAVE GONE AND DONE !!!

These people got off EARLY, and vacated two more seats that could be used by OTHER people

GAAAHH
I'm going for a run in the rain

Go and run in the rain then, what he has said was different to actually completing the journey which is what they did but got off two stations earlier.

Don't catch a cold on your run

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Nope, protecting their revenue when the Ts & Cs applied are not adhered to

How on earth have they lost any revenue ?

These people wern't after a rebate for the part of the journey they didn't take by train. They paid the full amount which was asked, used the service, but simply chose not to travel the final 2 stops on the train.

HOW can that justify a fine ??

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
'Hexcuse me madame, but while this train may well have stopped here, and you are physically on this train, you are hexpressly forbidden from getting off this train. You may not leave, you will have to stay on board. This ticket expressly forbids you from going straight home - hif you leave this train, and henceforth this station, that'll be a penalty fare, hif you so please...

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

These people wern't after a rebate for the part of the journey they didn't take by train. They paid the full amount which was asked, used the service, but simply chose not to travel the final 2 stops on the train.

The train company actually had spare capacity to take on two more passengers for the ride from Eastleigh to Soton.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
BEACH HUT. What would happen if you were not happy with the service provided and you wished to vacate you seat to find an alternative form of transport?

Say for instance the heating was broken, over the winter period (as with FCC last year on most services)... Or you simply did not think the service was satisfactory and you wished to disembark and find an alternative means of transport... Or your carriage was full of screaming children and there were no other vacant seats in the train and you were upset/unsettled with your fellow travellers... and so on.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box

As your namesake says, Easy...........

Because they purchased a cheap ticket with Ts & Cs that they broke therefore liable to a fine if caught.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Terms and conditions... How tiresome. Is that the only answer your manual supplies you with? How about a bit of common sense or is that not included in the staff training with a few packets of salted nuts?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports