Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Railway silly season

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
if i flew to glasgow and parachuted out somewhere over manchester, do you reckon i could get half the fare back off BA?

If you were flying to New York I'd happily give you half the fare to parachute out half way.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Can't you scrape it off the plate and onto the floor under the table ? ???

The 'restaurant' in question was on the Old Kent Road prior to a Millwall game. There was no one else in the place apart from some dodgy looking people permanently at the back of the restaurant and a lot of business seemingly going on in the toilet. So no, is the answer.....otherwise I would not be here typing this but propping up a motorway or something.

Last edited:

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I'd love to see this challenged under the Human Rights Act, it would make my year. Fining people for leaving a train early :lolol:, but not as funny as having a rule in the first place that stipulates you can't leave a train early.

The rail companies in this country are a laughing stock. I don't care whether some routes are subsidised, fining somebody for not quite taking all they have paid for is indefensible. These are supposed to be privatised companies, yet they are allowed to operate like secret police from the old Eastern Bloc.

The ticketing is so ridiculously complicated - "two singles could be cheaper":lolol:, that always makes me laugh.

My favourite bit of the story is the quote "the tickets were not valid for travel to Eastleigh..". I'd advise them next time to get off the train at Eastleigh and claim they thought their tickets were invalid. That'll confuse them...

Last edited:

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Say I hired a cab to take me up to Gatwick, and paid the pre-agreed price of £40. Halfway there I have an unfortunate accident and soil myself. To save myself further embarrassment, I get him to pull over and drop me off in a layby, where I go into the bushes and clean myself up with some leaves. I'm too embarrassed to see the cabbie again and so bid him farewell.

The cabbie drives off and carries on with his day, having not taken me to my stated destination. Would I expect him to FINE me as well ? Assuming I'd not left a mess on the back seat of course then no, I would not. He's got my £40, fair enough. I would not expect to pay a single penny more. How could he justify a fine ? He couldn't, because there is no way of justifying it.

(I'm not, err, saying this actually happened, you understand)

Is this £40 a discount fee to a specific destination (cheaper than the normal price of taking you to where it is you've gotten out), with the proviso that you may only get out at the pre-agreed destination point?

It seems you're determined not to acknowledge the distinction that they didn't buy a ticket to ride a train line, they paid a special discount ticket for a specific destination that is cheaper than a ticket to a different destination earlier in their route. In doing so they cheated the company out of the correct fare for the journey they took. Since you can't (or won't) acknowledge this, the decision will never make sense to you.

Last edited:

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I am speechless - utterly speechless - that so many people on here with a high sense of moral decency who rightly wish for common sense and personal responsibility to pervade to make for a better society not only understand the actions of a supposedly intelligent employee of the railways, but actively defend this completely pathetic and petulant act.

I despair.

I absolutely despair.

:facepalm:

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I am speechless - utterly speechless - that so many people on here with a high sense of moral decency who rightly wish for common sense and personal responsibility to pervade to make for a better society not only understand the actions of a supposedly intelligent employee of the railways, but actively defend this completely pathetic petulant act.

I despair.

I absolutely despair.

Yes but the Terms and Conditions clearly state....

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Its the HAND WRINGERS. NSC at its finest.

Rules are rules etc.

Love him or loathe him Clarkson was right with needing a ministry for common sense. This would have been laughed at and im sure they would FINE the train company for being so f***ing STUPID.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
...for a specific destination that is cheaper than a ticket to a different destination earlier in their route.

ministry-of-silly-walks.jpg

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I am speechless - utterly speechless - that so many people on here with a high sense of moral decency who rightly wish for common sense and personal responsibility to pervade to make for a better society not only understand the actions of a supposedly intelligent employee of the railways, but actively defend this completely pathetic and petulant act.

I despair.

I absolutely despair.

OK then perhaps look at it from another point of view - let everyone buy cheap tickets and break the t & cs or alternatively just sell the All Line Rail Rover a Platform Ticket for 20p.

Still I am sure you would be happy to be taxed more as each TOC goes bust :thumbsup:

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
OK then perhaps look at it from another point of view - let everyone buy cheap tickets and break the t & cs or alternatively just sell the All Line Rail Rover a Platform Ticket for 20p.

Still I am sure you would be happy to be taxed more as each TOC goes bust :thumbsup:

Show me the T&Cs that say you can't terminate your journey early - Southerns don't actually say that, they mention a break in journey NOT early termination - two completely different happenings.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003

Ok Beachy, how about simplifying the pricing and conditions of rail tickets ?

I can understand restrictions on getting off a train and getting back on - I understand that - it's two singles !

But to fine somebody for getting off early, or even selling tickets on the basis you can't get off early is completely and utterly ridiculous. It has no parallel in any other form of transport or any other product I can think of.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I can't be bothered to trawl but look at the SWT site and it will state very clearly the Ts & Cs - so Southerns are different, believe or not a different company so each one has a different set of Ts & Cs.

I expect each airline has a different set of Ts & Cs as well but let's just ignore that shall we ?

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I can't be bothered to trawl but look at the SWT site and it will state very clearly the Ts & Cs - so Southerns are different, believe or not a different company so each one has a different set of Ts & Cs.

I expect each airline has a different set of Ts & Cs as well but let's just ignore that shall we ?

You can't get off a plane early and you can't on a plane with the wrong ticket.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Ok Beachy, how about simplifying the pricing and conditions of rail tickets ?

I can understand restrictions on getting off a train and getting back on - I understand that - it's two singles !

But to fine somebody for getting off early, or even selling tickets on the basis you can't get off early is completely and utterly ridiculous. It has no parallel in any other form of transport or any other product I can think of.

Totally agree, the rules are totally baffling as each TOC has a different set :thumbsup:

Hence TOCs were recently slagged off for different off peak rules and inability to understand what type of ticket to buy from a TVM.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Why am I not surprised.

Talk about railway silly season, I've just spent £3,688 for my next years rail travel !!!!

On a positive note, you have a job again

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Very droll, it is about refunds, upgrades, missed flights etc

This whole drama isn't about refunds, upgrades of missed flights - or trains. It's about the act of being allowed to leave the train early.

- 'There's my house, over there, this is where I would need to get off...'
- 'Right that's an extra penalty fare for conning us into thinking you needed to stay on this train for longer...'

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here