Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Railway silly season

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
OK, if being ill is no excuse to leave a train early, what happens if someone has a heart attack and dies before he reached his stop. Would his estate get hit with a fine because he left the train early? (judging by some of the jobsworths on here, the answer is yes).

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Did you still manage to catch your flight in the end?

No. I walked to Pease Pottage with my pants in a carrier bag, and hitched a ride back with a trucker called Simon.

you dont know that - he may have arranged another airport pick up on the back of your job. thats his look out i suppose but the point is - why does everyone use other completely irrelevant examples of different modes of transport as comparisons. they dont hold any water generally (unless it is a lorry delivering water).

If he arranged a pick-up at the airport, then me not accompanying him to it makes stuff-all difference does it.

your analogy is flwed as it misses half the problem, the cheaper fare. say the cab drivers get a subsidy to run fast services from Preston Park station to Gatwick (no one would run fast service from Brighton station... :lolol:), they charge you £20 for this rather than the normal £40. on the way, you ask that you want to go up the A23 instead of the M23 and get out in Crawly town center. now would you expect the driver to charge you £20 or £40, considering they will lose their subsidy if found you didnt go on the subsidised route?

Where does it say the couple on the train diverted it to take a different route ?
All they did was hop off early at a station IT WAS STOPPING AT ANYWAY.

Stoo82

GEEZUS!
Jul 8, 2008
Hove
No. I walked to Pease Pottage with my pants in a carrier bag, and hitched a ride back with a trucker called Simon.

If he arranged a pick-up at the airport, then me not accompanying him to it makes stuff-all difference does it.

Where does it say the couple on the train diverted it to take a different route ?
All they did was hop off ear;y at a station IT WAS STOPPING AT ANYWAY.

But they underpaid, which is why they got fined.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
You wish to pay as little as possible and book in advance then you have to accept all the terms and conditions of the ticket and there is no bleating if you don't and you get fined.

So what is the exact problem of some of the idiots on here ?
The problem is that breaking this one particular condition makes not a jot of difference to the train operators. Not one.

So much for customer service.

I really can't wait for the reaction on here next time one of your lot goes on strike over something utterly trivial. Expect this thread to be bounced to highlight your utter hypocrisy and total disregard for the customer when compared to your own self serving needs. :thumbsup:

And lets face it, we won't have to wait long.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
You can break your journey with a saver ticket, it's only restrictions are of a time based nature.

It is really so simple

You want to travel anytime, any train and have breaks then buy the anytime ticket

You want to travel off peak , any time , any train and have breaks then buy the off peak ticket.

You don't mind a time restriction on your ticket then you buy a super off peak ticket.

You wish to pay as little as possible and book in advance then you have to accept all the terms and conditions of the ticket and there is no bleating if you don't and you get fined.

So what is the exact problem of some of the idiots on here ?

I must be clear. My ticket (which was £3.75) was for the 12:19 Brighton to London Victoria ONLY train. If I had used ANY other service or got off ANYWHERE else I would have expected a fine for breaking terms and conditions of my (DIRT CHEAP FOR A REASON) ticket.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
I must be clear. My ticket (which was £3.75) was for the 12:19 Brighton to London Victoria ONLY train. If I had used ANY other service or got off ANYWHERE else I would have expected a fine for breaking terms and conditions of my (DIRT CHEAP FOR A REASON) ticket.

I thought you meant the usual Saver return ticket, that's it that's the condition and I can't see why others can't see why they're wrong.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
Can I just say that standard single from Lewes to Brighton is £3.40. From Lewes to London Road (the station before Brighton - and the one I jump off at to go home), it's £3.50.

How long is it before I get my fine?

The only fine you're get is for being an idiot as you know full well that ticket is an anytime single for which you can break your journey.
Maybe next time you board at London Road without a ticket you check the rules for penalty fares :thumbsup:

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
The only fine you're get is for being an idiot as you know full well that ticket is an anytime single for which you can break your journey.

You say that now, but look at the jobsworths you have calling themselves your colleagues.

Maybe next time you board at London Road without a ticket you check the rules for penalty fares :thumbsup:
NOT if the machine serving the tickets is WRONG. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
So much for customer service.

Ding, ding, ding.

In all the pages of shite here's the key to it all. We're customers of the railway company - which other industry treats its customers in such a shoddy way by fining people.

Thankfully, unless I'm going to London, I avoid the trains at all costs. Just as long as I stick to the speed limit I don't get fined when driving my car and I will continue to do so instead of catching the train.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
But they underpaid, which is why they got fined.

They didn't underpay. They paid the pre-agreed discounted price for a Southampton to London return journey, but decided on the return journey not to use the return ticket for the full duration to which they were entitled and had paid for.

Lets play beorthlems what-if game.
By getting off early, they freed up two seats. What if the train was packed ? What if those two free seats had meant that two additional passengers at Eastleigh could climb on board and take their place, paying full price ?

Hey, suddenly this couple have actually done the rail operating company a FAVOUR.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Easy is right that it is an absolutely pointless rule. One I can't understand. If they can afford to charge £6 return to Southampton, why not charge the same to Eastleigh? What is the benefit to the company to offer cheaper fares to a further destination?

Too many different tickets, different fares, different promos makes this situation stupid.

Of course the couple that got caught obviously looked at all this and tried to cheat the system. Good on them I say, more people making a fuss about this sort of thing MIGHT force a change.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
Point of order. I don't think SW trains adhere to their own rules or the rules of The National Rail Conditions of Carriage.If you are travelling from a penalty fare station on a penalty fare train, and:
a)
You do not have a valid ticket and are approached by a revenue protection employee, who is an authorised penalty fare collector you may be liable to a penalty fare of £20 or twice the full single fare - whichever is the greater amount to the next station at which your train stops.

If you wish to continue your journey beyond the next station stop you may be required to buy a full single or return fare for the remainder of your journey.

b)
You do not have a valid train ticket and are approached by a guard, who is NOT an authorised penalty fare collector you may be liable to pay the full single or return fare for the journey you have made or wish to make and you will not be entitled to any discounts (for example, Railcards) or special terms, which would otherwise apply. This is in accordance with the National Rail Conditions on Carriage.

When the guard issues you a ticket a penalty fare, a 'warning' will also be issued, so that you are aware of the penalty fare scheme should you be approached by an authorised penalty fare collector on your next journey.
c)
You do not have a valid train ticket and are approached by a guard, who is NOT an authorised penalty fare collector, you may be liable to pay the full single or return fare for the journey you have made or wish to make, and you will not be entitled to any discounts (for example, Railcards) or special terms which would otherwise apply. This is in accordance with the National Rail Conditions on Carriage.

When the guard issues you a ticket a penalty fare, a 'warning' will also be issued, so that you are aware of the penalty fare scheme should you be approached by an authorised penalty fare collector on your next journey.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Southern Advance tickets : Southern

"No break of journey is permitted in either direction"
Not sure about south west trains but it says it in pretty easily readable font there.....

Personally I don't think it is clear and it's a pity they didn't choose to take it to court.

The site doesn't define what a "break" is. In my mind it means stopping your journey prematurely and then re-starting it, like having a break in a driving journey. So say I started at Victoria with a ticket for Victoria to Brighton and I decided to stop off in Haywards Heath to see friends before re-boarding to go to Brighton - that would be a break. Nowhere does it say that an early termination of the journey is not allowed.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Funny you should say this, I have been to an all-you-can-eat chinese buffet which had signs on the wall saying un-empty plates would be charged at £5.

Can't you scrape it off the plate and onto the floor under the table ? ???

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Utter utter madness.

The sad thing of course is that rail companies are allowed to get away with such nonsense.

For those working on the railways it may seem normal, but you really need to step back for a moment and think.

It's like a Monty Python sketch.

Imagine going out for a meal that was say 20 quid for three courses. You ask for the bill but the waiter notices that you haven't eaten the pudding.

I'm sorry sir - I'm going to have to charge you £50.

Why ?

The meal was discounted sir....

I don't care what the terms and conditions say, they are simply nonsense.

Last edited:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
This thread is brilliant, I'm loving the fillet steak and taxi analogies.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here