Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Railway silly season

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
If everyone travelled to the t&cs of their tickets there would be no need for ticket inspectors and train tickets would be cheaper.

THESE ROBBING BASTARDS ARE MAKING MY FARE MORE EXPENSIVE.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I did read your post but did you read mine?

You suggest that the Albion ticketing system is flawed but the railways are fine, no problems and can't understand what the fuss is about.

I'm saying, that's bollocks, like.

Try reading the post.

Yes the previous BHAFC ticketing system was flawed but no the current one which was changed due the previous being rubbish is fine.

The railways are not fine at all in fact I suspect many TOCs will go bust but they have to chase every penny and t & cs were not adhered to.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
Say I hired a cab to take me up to Gatwick, and paid the pre-agreed price of £40. Halfway there I have an unfortunate accident and soil myself. To save myself further embarrassment, I get him to pull over and drop me off in a layby, where I go into the bushes and clean myself up with some leaves. I'm too embarrassed to see the cabbie again and so bid him farewell.

The cabbie drives off and carries on with his day, having not taken me to my stated destination. Would I expect him to FINE me as well ? Assuming I'd not left a mess on the back seat of course then no, I would not. He's got my £40, fair enough. I would not expect to pay a single penny more. How could he justify a fine ? He couldn't, because there is no way of justifying it.

(I'm not, err, saying this actually happened, you understand)

if i flew to glasgow and parachuted out somewhere over manchester, do you reckon i could get half the fare back off BA?

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Response to Simster:

Yes there is as the person purchased cheap tickets with conditions which they broke, it was answered by Ernest quite early on.

As to what part of compelling in neither here nor there there were conditions attached to the purchase that weren't adhered to.

Last edited:

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
If everyone travelled to the t&cs of their tickets there would be no need for ticket inspectors and train tickets would be cheaper.

THESE ROBBING BASTARDS ARE MAKING MY FARE MORE EXPENSIVE.

No-one's biting

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
Nope.
But then nobody was asking for fare rebates.

thats not my point. trains are not cabs are not planes. just because they get you from one place to the other doesnt mean they are in anyway working to the same models.

if your cabbie had had hundreds of runners that year he may think differently about how he charged you for an airport job.

if you got in a cab to gatwick and then went to heathrow, would you say do it for the same fare mate they're both london airports?

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
All right Easy i've got one. You go to the butchers and ask for a kilo of fillet steak. You then say as a favour could he mince the fillet steak for you. When you go to pay would you argue that you shouldn't pay fillet steak price per kilo you should pay beef mince price per kilo as that's what you're recieving?

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
dunno why this is so hard to grasp. yes they are jobsworths but thousands of people are trying to diddle them, to be fair.

I think in this instance they had actually got off the train so can't see how they could possibly have been screwing them but I take the point on the 2nd bit. There are plenty of loop holes I have found.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
thats not my point. trains are not cabs are not planes. just because they get you from one place to the other doesnt mean they are in anyway working to the same models.

if your cabbie had had hundreds of runners that year he may think differently about how he charged you for an airport job.

if you got in a cab to gatwick and then went to heathrow, would you say do it for the same fare mate they're both london airports?

Who said I was running ? The £40 fare to gatwick was paid up front, I didn't ask or expect to get any of it back. The fact that I chose to get out early is neither here nor there to him, he's received the agreed price for the journey regardless, except I didn't go all the way there. If anything he's done well out of it by saving the time and petrol of going the rest of the way (if indeed this purely hypothetical situation had happened....)

Your Heathrow example is a nonsense, as Heathrow is about 50 miles further up the road from Gatwick, so obviously it can't be for the same fare. If this couple had stayed on their train BEYOND Southampton, then they'd be fair game for a fine. But they didn't, so they're not.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
Who said I was running ? The £40 fare to gatwick was paid up front, I didn't ask or expect to get any of it back. The fact that I chose to get out early is neither here nor there to him, he's received the agreed price for the journey regardless, except I didn't go all the way there. If anything he's done well out of it by saving the time and petrol of going the rest of the way (if indeed this purely hypothetical situation had happened....)

Your Heathrow example is a nonsense, as Heathrow is about 50 miles further up the road from Gatwick, so obviously it can't be for the same fare. If this couple had stayed on their train BEYOND Southampton, then they'd be fair game for a fine. But they didn't, so they're not.

Did you still manage to catch your flight in the end?

Stoo82

GEEZUS!
Jul 8, 2008
Hove
These two people had an agreement that they would travel from 'A' to 'C' without getting of at 'B' and part of the agreement was that they got a cheeper ticket.

They choose to break the agreement and got off a 'B', hence they got found out and fined.

They are in the wrong.

There is a second argument of what a jobsworth wanker the ticket guy is and a third argument of what a silly rule.

Which does not stop these two people being in the wrong.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
Who said I was running ? The £40 fare to gatwick was paid up front, I didn't ask or expect to get any of it back. The fact that I chose to get out early is neither here nor there to him

you dont know that - he may have arranged another airport pick up on the back of your job. thats his look out i suppose but the point is - why does everyone use other completely irrelevant examples of different modes of transport as comparisons. they dont hold any water generally (unless it is a lorry delivering water).

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Say I hired a cab to take me up to Gatwick, and paid the pre-agreed price of £40.

your analogy is flwed as it misses half the problem, the cheaper fare. say the cab drivers get a subsidy to run fast services from Preston Park station to Gatwick (no one would run fast service from Brighton station... :lolol:), they charge you £20 for this rather than the normal £40. on the way, you ask that you want to go up the A23 instead of the M23 and get out in Crawly town center. now would you expect the driver to charge you £20 or £40, considering they will lose their subsidy if found you didnt go on the subsidised route?

Last edited:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
All right Easy i've got one. You go to the butchers and ask for a kilo of fillet steak. You then say as a favour could he mince the fillet steak for you. When you go to pay would you argue that you shouldn't pay fillet steak price per kilo you should pay beef mince price per kilo as that's what you're recieving?

No.
By asking him to go and mince the fillet steak, I'm asking for an additional service. I wouldn't expect to have money taken off for that to bring it in line with his mince price.

And I havn't seen anywhere where this couple were asking for a refund on the part of the journey they paid for but didn't end up using. They are just objecting to being fined.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
I used a saver ticket this weekend from Brighton to Victoria ONLY. This ticket did not say I could get off at East Croydon, though the train stopped there. If I had chosen to get off I would have expected a fine.

If you don't understand what the problem is with a fine here then you are an idiot.

AN IDIOT.

You can break your journey with a saver ticket, it's only restrictions are of a time based nature.

It is really so simple

You want to travel anytime, any train and have breaks then buy the anytime ticket

You want to travel off peak , any time , any train and have breaks then buy the off peak ticket.

You don't mind a time restriction on your ticket then you buy a super off peak ticket.

You wish to pay as little as possible and book in advance then you have to accept all the terms and conditions of the ticket and there is no bleating if you don't and you get fined.

So what is the exact problem of some of the idiots on here ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here