Railway silly season

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Yes. Call me a ticket Nazi, or whatever you want, but regardless of the rights and wrongs of the t&cs, they booked the tickets with a full understanding of what those t&cs are (there's even a little box that you have to tick to say you've read them. If you chose not to do that, then it's your own fault), and then did not adhere to them. As I've said twice in this thread now, the rules are ridiculous, but they are still rules.

Easy, are you one of these people (I know there are plenty on here) that abhors traffic wardens because they dare fine/clamp people who are illegally parked? Because I'm sorry but the that's exactly what this argument reminds me of.

Traffic wardens are (sometimes) fairly odious in how they go about their work, but they DO serve a purpose in stopping people from blocking roads, parking dangerously and causing obstructions. Anyone who parks on double yellows or the zigzags by pelican crossings knows they could be for it, and for good reason.

That is COMPLETELY different from getting off a train two stops BEFORE your destination and getting fined for it. Whats the harm ? Who does it inconvience ? What possible frigging difference does it make to anyone ?? Its just jobsworthism taken to extremes, a victimless crime, and is yet another way for railcompanies to extort money out of its paying customers.

Whats next ? I go to a restaurant and only eat half of my meal, can I expect to get fined for that as well ?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Whats next ? I go to a restaurant and only eat half of my meal, can I expect to get fined for that as well ?

Funny you should say this, I have been to an all-you-can-eat chinese buffet which had signs on the wall saying un-empty plates would be charged at £5.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
I got fined when I was a student for trying to get out at New Cross station as I had a ticket to 'London station #' or whatever it says and the Brighton to London Bridge train goes through New Cross and stops there. I didn't think it worth informing the press about this

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Okay. This has passed a rather dull day. I'm off for a run along the seafront now and a listen to this Daft Punk live album I've just got. Have a good evening.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Funny you should say this, I have been to an all-you-can-eat chinese buffet which had signs on the wall saying un-empty plates would be charged at £5.

As soon as I typed it I thought of that (Oriental Village as it happens). :lolol:

But thats a perfectly justifiable rule, as it discourages people from basically being greedy wasteful pigs and taking loads of food which they have no intention (or no room left) to eat.

keaton

Nov 18, 2004
Traffic wardens are (sometimes) fairly odious in how they go about their work, but they DO serve a purpose in stopping people from blocking roads, parking dangerously and causing obstructions. Anyone who parks on double yellows or the zigzags by pelican crossings knows they could be for it, and for good reason.

That is COMPLETELY different from getting off a train two stops BEFORE your destination and getting fined for it. Whats the harm ? Who does it inconvience ? What possible frigging difference does it make to anyone ?? Its just jobsworthism taken to extremes, a victimless crime, and is yet another way for railcompanies to extort money out of its paying customers.

Well there are all-you-can-eat restaruants where you have to pay extra for any good you take but don't eat. So basically you're getting something cheap, but they might punish if you break their terms and conditions

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
I got fined when I was a student for trying to get out at New Cross station as I had a ticket to 'London station #' or whatever it says and the Brighton to London Bridge train goes through New Cross and stops there. I didn't think it worth informing the press about this

since when, without even changing at EC or somewhere down the or going back out of london bridge (which would get you picked up on)?

(the brighton trains go through new cross gate line too, not new cross, for added pedantry).

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Not really. You made a complete fuss over ticket distribution just because you didn't get one. It was a perfectly fair method, in so far as we all knew how tickets were distributed beforehand.

Here, t & cs include a totally unreasonable clause (to most sane people) and if it had happened to you, I can't begin to imagine the fuss you'd have made, given your track record.

It is a totally different thing where yopu are getting something cheaper with specific conditions attached as opposed to a free for all in a system clearly flawed.

keaton

Nov 18, 2004
since when, without even changing at EC or somewhere down the or going back out of london bridge (which would get you picked up on)?

(the brighton trains go through new cross gate line too, not new cross, for added pedantry).

I think i'd changed at EC, and got on a London Bridge train that stopped at New Cross

*sigh* it's pretty obvious we're not going to come to an agreement on this. YES the punishment is ridiculous. YES I think it's wrong. But at the end of the day this couple bought the ticket on the understanding that this is how it could be used, and then misused it. They are therefore fair game for punishment, IMHO.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
since when,

since always i think. as i recall tickets without travel card state "London Terminals". i tried to get off at Farringdon once, its not considered a terminal so the ticket didnt go through the barrier and i had to either go to Kings Cross or back to Blackfriars and walk, or pay £2.60 for the single.

what with Chappers fine example, seems theres alot more of this sort of ticket around.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
I think i'd changed at EC, and got on a London Bridge train that stopped at New Cross

Gate!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! that would be fair enough I would have thought, I go New Cross GATE down and change at EC or Gatwick, its cheaper as you dont start from a mainline station.

If you buy a ticket Brighton New Cross Gate with not London on it it is cheaper anyway than the ticket you bought. Some student!

:thumbsup:

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
since always i think. the ticket as i recall states "London Terminals". i tried to get off at Farringdon once, its not considered a terminal so the ticket didnt go through the barrier and i had to either go to Kings Cross or back to Blackfriars and walk, or pay £2.60 for the single.

what with Chappers fine example, seems theres alot more of this sort of ticket around.

thats always been the score with farringdon and anywhere after blackfriars on thameslink from brighton, unless you get a travelcard.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
It is a totally different thing where yopu are getting something cheaper with specific conditions attached as opposed to a free for all in a system clearly flawed.

System clearly flawed? You must be talking about the railways because that makes the albion system look like a well oiled machine

How can 'peak travel' be classified as 5 past 3 when other companies have no peak at all?
Why are season ticket prices never published online (for Virgin anyway) or cheaper alternatives ever advertised?
Why make the system so complicated? You may argue it's not but there is somebody on every 3rd train I go on that gets caught out through section 1 rule c7 or some other such bollocks travelling on the wrong ticket. It's almost like they are trying to maximise thier revenue...

I could go on all night monaing about those robbing bastards but fining people for getting off early seems par for the course for them.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
System clearly flawed? You must be talking about the railways because that makes the albion system look like a well oiled machine

How can 'peak travel' be classified as 5 past 3 when other companies have no peak at all?
Why are season ticket prices never published online (for Virgin anyway) or cheaper alternatives ever advertised?
Why make the system so complicated? You may argue it's not but there is somebody on every 3rd train I go on that gets caught out through section 1 rule c7 or some other such bollocks travelling on the wrong ticket. It's almost like they are trying to maximise thier revenue...

I could go on all night monaing about those robbing bastards but fining people for getting off early seems par for the course for them.

This has nothing to do with off peak at all but to do with purchasing tickets cheap in advance with t & cs attached - try reading the post

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P

with the new cross example keaton could have got a fast train into lb and just turned around, rather than plodding up from EC, that is probably what they think, and not bought the LB new cross leg. if you were not going into london, why buy the ticket as its dearer (unless you want to go faster and get the short leg down to new cross for free).

dunno why this is so hard to grasp. yes they are jobsworths but thousands of people are trying to diddle them, to be fair.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
This has nothing to do with off peak at all but to do with purchasing tickets cheap in advance with t & cs attached - try reading the post

I did read your post but did you read mine?

You suggest that the Albion ticketing system is flawed but the railways are fine, no problems and can't understand what the fuss is about.

I'm saying, that's bollocks, like.

Try reading the post.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Say I hired a cab to take me up to Gatwick, and paid the pre-agreed price of £40. Halfway there I have an unfortunate accident and soil myself. To save myself further embarrassment, I get him to pull over and drop me off in a layby, where I go into the bushes and clean myself up with some leaves. I'm too embarrassed to see the cabbie again and so bid him farewell.

The cabbie drives off and carries on with his day, having not taken me to my stated destination. Would I expect him to FINE me as well ? Assuming I'd not left a mess on the back seat of course then no, I would not. He's got my £40, fair enough. I would not expect to pay a single penny more. How could he justify a fine ? He couldn't, because there is no way of justifying it.

(I'm not, err, saying this actually happened, you understand)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports