** Rail Disruption on Saturday due to Planned Engineering Works **

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Conkers

Jan 11, 2006
Haywards Heath
Bit unfortunate for the Porstmouth fans as the engineering works are from Barnham to West Worthing. I imagine 95% of Brighton fans will be unaffected as the London-Brighton mainline and Eastbourne route are operating as normal.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I heard on the radio this weekend that there was bus service operating from Littlehampton to Southampton that cant have been right surely what a horrendous journey and time to be on a bus.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
Short section of line is closed between Barnham and Ford with buses from Barnham to Littlehampton, trains are ALL stops from there to Brighton. Only really affecting Portsmouth fans with a few Brighton fans affected too.

There wouldnt ever be planned work through Falmer on a matchday.

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
When I tried to book my usual trip from Taunton to Brighton I was shown a route via Westbury,Salisbury,Basingstoke,Clapham Junction and Brighton.

I've opted for Taunton Paddington Victoria Brighton which appears to be OK.

SpidersLegs

Feb 2, 2007
Here & there
Engineering works are planned 2 years in advance. The people planning this wouldn't have known that we would be at home in 2 years time. The day the Brighton to Lewes line is closed on a match day will be carnage!

Engineering works are planned 2 years in advance. The people planning this wouldn't have known that we would be at home in 2 years time. The day the Brighton to Lewes line is closed on a match day will be carnage!
Yep. Planned engineering works are things that the Football League might take into account when drawing up the fixtures. But it needs the Clubs to be on the ball and have the right relationships with Network Rail and the Train Operating Companies. It's no different from the Albion needing to avoid matches clashing with the universities' open days.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes

Agreed. We are ok for the rest of the season, including 14th April when we go to West Ham.

PG

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
All the Pompey fans need to do is get a train up to Clapham Junction and change there, you've gotta be some kind of cunt if you get on rail replacement bus and you can avoid it.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
All the Pompey fans need to do is get a train up to Clapham Junction and change there, you've gotta be some kind of cunt if you get on rail replacement bus and you can avoid it.

Do you not come into the old story of the ticket as the fare via Clapham Jun ction is dearer. I know that Ben goes Haywards Heath to Guildford but cannot travel via Clapham as that is dearer and he cannot use that route officially even if like yesterday there was a replacement bus service Gatwick to Redhill.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
Do you not come into the old story of the ticket as the fare via Clapham Jun ction is dearer. I know that Ben goes Haywards Heath to Guildford but cannot travel via Clapham as that is dearer and he cannot use that route officially even if like yesterday there was a replacement bus service Gatwick to Redhill.

Yes it is a bit dearer, but was only about another £7 each when we did it for Southampton away a few years ago (Poyet's first game).

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

I remember going to Twickenham for an England v Wales game and the line was closed. What sort of planning does that? During the 5 Nations, there were only two games at home all year, between late Jan and early March, it would have been easy enough to avoid those dates.

Pinkie Brown

Wir Sind das Volk
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR 🇩🇪
Engineering works shoud not be scheduled on a Saturday - End of. What other countries have major rail lines closed on a Saturday?

On a funnier note: The people who wrote the travel advice on Pompeys Website for Saturday are as useless as those who've managed the finances. The advice is to catch a train to Falmer from 'Platform 2' at Brighton! :lol:

Brighton Away: Rail Disruption
Pompey fans travelling to Brighton by train for the Championship fixture on Saturday, March 10 will face severe disruption both ways.
Engineering works will affect the journey with supporters forced to change three times to get to Brighton. There will be a replacement bus service between Barnham and Littlehampton. Supporters will then have to get a train from Littlehampton to Brighton, changing at Hove.The normal trip from Portsmouth & Southsea station to Brighton takes 75 minutes. But on Saturday week the same journey will take up to two-and-a-half hours.
Supporters will then need to get another train from Brighton to reach Falmer station, which is next to the Amex Stadium.
The journey from Brighton to Falmer is a little less taxing: it takes nine minutes, with at least five trains per hour from platform two

A lot of Pompey fans aren't the sharpest knives in the kitchen. Will they be able to follow those complicated directions? ???

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports