Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Rags to riches sports films - recommendations please

Feb 9, 2011
Lancing
Somebody up there likes me, the life story of Rocky Graziano, book was a brilliant read as well.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
I'm a sucker for all of the baseball movies:

Field of dreams
The Natural
Bull Durham

are all excellent movies with great actors putting in good performances...
But Mr Baseball is my favourite. Terrible movie... but I love it. At no point does it try to deviate from the sports film formula.
Tom Selleck as a washed up pro, can only get a final job in Japan... Well I don't have to explain the rest

Mental Lental

Jul 5, 2003
Shiki-shi, Saitama
Soccer_Dog-525178152-large.jpg

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
Agree with Field of Dreams and Moneyball. Both superb.
Two other suggestions... Not films...one is a documentary called a Once in a lifetime.. The story of the New York cosmos. Absolutely brilliant about the rise and fall of football in the US in the 1970's and the culture of New York at the time.
And if you fancy a sporting themed series, try Friday Night Lights. Based in a small recession hit Texan town, the drama takes place around the local American football team(s) and follows the lives of several characters. You don't have to like the sport to soon become hooked. Great music too.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
I'm a sucker for all of the baseball movies:

Field of dreams
The Natural
Bull Durham

are all excellent movies with great actors putting in good performances...
But Mr Baseball is my favourite. Terrible movie... but I love it. At no point does it try to deviate from the sports film formula.
Tom Selleck as a washed up pro, can only get a final job in Japan... Well I don't have to explain the rest

Bull Durham is brilliant, but more rags to rags than rags to riches.

Try The Rookie, the true story of failed pitcher Jimmy Morris's second shot at the big leagues, based on his own book (although in real life he's more Mike Ditka than Dennis Quaid looks-wise).

And a movie I saw over in the States but which I don't think got a release here, Trouble With The Curve starring Clint Eastwood as a scout who's losing his sight. Amazingly, Justin Timberlake's very good in it.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Rudy is awesome.

Heartily recommend a documentary called The Battered *******s of Baseball about an independent baseball team from Portland in the 70's established by Bing Russell (Kurt Russell's dad).

Cracking watch and on Netflix

I forgot all about this one. I watched it last year, you're right, its a cracking film. A great tale of an underdog sticking it to the gilded MLB teams at the time.

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
Best Shot (aka Hoosiers in The States)

Small town rural High School basketball team gets taken on by coach with a past, Gene Hackman. Also supporting role for Dennis Hopper.

Utterly predictable from start to end. Still utterly charming though.

EDIT: Kurt Nogood beat me to it in post #21. Good call Mr. Nogood.

Last edited:

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Bull Durham is brilliant, but more rags to rags than rags to riches.

Try The Rookie, the true story of failed pitcher Jimmy Morris's second shot at the big leagues, based on his own book (although in real life he's more Mike Ditka than Dennis Quaid looks-wise).

And a movie I saw over in the States but which I don't think got a release here, Trouble With The Curve starring Clint Eastwood as a scout who's losing his sight. Amazingly, Justin Timberlake's very good in it.

Thanks for the suggestions, I will look out for them..

And of course there is always Eastbound and Down.. not a movie, but one of the funniest TV shows of the past couple of years.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
About to start on Sky 312 .

Excellent film

I'd also add 'Fire In Babylon' to the list. Documentary and not 'rags to riches' per se, just the Windies transformation from lovable entertainers to the greatest international sports team of all time.

Larry Day

May 13, 2016
Haywards
Breaking Away.

A cycling story, featuring a 'town and gown' conflict between the blue-collar locals and the stuck-up students at the local university.

One of my favourite films of all time, it won the oscar for best original screenplay. Inspiring stuff.

Iovan The Sweeper

May 16, 2016
Breaking Away.

A cycling story, featuring a 'town and gown' conflict between the blue-collar locals and the stuck-up students at the local university.

One of my favourite films of all time, it won the oscar for best original screenplay. Inspiring stuff.

Yep, that's a cracking film. They also made a TV series (haven't seen that), which was set before the film.

Not necessarily rags to riches, but another vote for Friday Night Lights (film version)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here