Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Rafael Benitez stays as Newcastle United manager

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Can only agree with the general consensus on here in that Newcastle are a shoo-in for the top 2. He's already got a reaction from the players with their 6 match unbeaten run, there's absolutely no doubt in my mind that if he'd had 3 or 4 more games there, he's have kept them up. He would not be staying if he didn't have a substantial budget to play with, and assurances on having control of the players coming in. Yes there'll be pressure, that comes with the territory when you're the biggest club in the league. But they'll be far stronger this season than they were last season.

It may well have unravelled if Ashley had gone and appointed some muppet (as he usually does), but keeping Benitez is a huge coup for them, and will undoubtedly enable them to push on from here. Unfortunately for us.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
I fear this means one automatic spot for next season is already wrapped up. Id like to see us play them early on as they may take a little to adjust, but they'll be tough to stop as next season gets going.

Going on the last 2 seasons form it's nailed on away day last game of the season with a 1230 kick off again.

northstandsteve

Oct 9, 2003
Hove
Dam stole my thunder, Nice to see a defeatist attitude before we start. One decent win against a Spurs side,mmmmm- yes they will be favourites 5/2 saw quoted, but quite frankly I don't care about them. Get the 4/5 players we need and we will be there or thereabouts.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
C...He would not be staying if he didn't have a substantial budget to play with, and assurances on having control of the players coming in.

i think the last half dozen managers have had assurances on this, so i dont think they hold much water.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
i think the last half dozen managers have had assurances on this, so i dont think they hold much water.

They've not had a manager of this calibre before though. Ashley knows he's damn lucky to have persuaded him to stay - its a bit different to telling the likes of McLaren or Carver to f-off when they come knocking for him to open up the chequebook.

If Benitez walked over a budget dispute this season, the fans would tear that place down.

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
For me they are champions and the rest of us are playing for 2nd and the play offs, but anything can happen. I was sure City would win the prem before the start of this last season - and not many called the Leicester triumph!

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
One of the good things about Newcastle and Villa coming down is that they'll hoover up a huge amount of televised Championship games, making it more likely we'll play more of our matches on a Saturday at 3pm rather than being dicked around by Sky.

This, in turn, will be better for us and worse for the "big" clubs.

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
Newcastle were always going to operate on Premier league spend levels whilst in the championship as it maximises the chances of going back up again, so the high wages and money to spend were always going to be there. I'm surprised it took so long to be confirmed. That said i'd prefer Benitez, with no experience in this league, to be in charge of them as opposed to a hardened championship manager.

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
Some interesting counter points herein, and they may well slip up on a Tuesday at Burton etc. However at home I fully expect the words "steamroller" and "opposition" to be somewhere within headline on the Evening Chronicle front page... Like.

Bit of Geordie for you there.

Proper cush.

Ahem

Kosh

Last edited:

Raskolnikov

Aug 13, 2014
Wivenhoe
Think it would be interesting if their opening month contained Burton, Leeds, Bristol and Millwall (should they get there).. would be a real eye opener for all the top class players

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Depends who goes on the playing side. New team could take time to adapt

Talking about releasing 4/5 players which they reckon will bring in c£40m, all available for players, plus another £20m or so to top it up. If they dont get promoted after an outlay like that someone will need to be taken out and shot!!!

Ecosse Exile

May 20, 2009
Alicante, Spain
I think a lot will come down to the attitude of their players, yes they can bring in quality, but Premier league quality and Championship quality are two very different things.

If the remaining players have the attitude they are going to walk this division, then i think they will be in for a very rude awakening, even with the players that come in, attitude can be contagious. If they come down with the attitude that they are going to have to scrap for every single point, they will do very well indeed, but I haven't noticed a team full of players with the right attitude at Newcastle this season, they have quality, far more than some of the teams that finished above them imho, but i didn't see a desire to fight for their right to play in the top tier next season.

Benitez is no mug, he will know the sort of players he needs, but he will be competing with the likes of Southampton, Middlesbrough and Sunderland for those players and whilst Newcastle are still the biggest name of those clubs mentioned, they can all offer something that Newcastle cant.

Geestar

Nov 6, 2012
Shoreham Beach
They all seem more than confident oop here of walking the league.

Looking forward to them being disappointed again.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here