Raf

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

junior

Dec 1, 2003
Didsbury, Manchester
A van der Meyde said:
Cheers Junior.

One thing I forgot to mention is I still want to do Uni. I heard of the RAF sponsorship, and it looks unlikely I would be sponsored iof I done my chosen latter career ion graphics design, but I learnt that the RAF like to know what we want to do afterwards....

So does that mean I cannot apply to officially join after Uni?

Also, I no I am agaisnt odds, I have been all my life but I am working towards to being a Pilot. My preferred aircraft that I would love to fly is the Hawk, I checked my qualification requirements and if all goes well in A-Levels I should have my 2 A's that they want. I have got 6 GCSE's with the English Language and Maths they wanted so it all looks well so far.

So going back to the original question, as I am still wanting to do Uni first, do I join the ATC or not, because I won't be able to train until I have completed Uni. Sponsored or not sponsored, I am still planning to join the RAF as soon as I have completed Uni.

If you want to fly (OMG:lolol: ),then you have to be an OFFICER (twat),which i can tell you nothing about exept that the entry critereia is high,and the training a lot harder.They get paid more,eat posher food,and live in posher rooms and have people polish thier shoe's for them.They also talk stupid (like James Blunt).

If thats what you want then get yourself down to your local AFCO because i cant tell you ANYTHING about being an officer,however i do believe you CAN get some sort of University sponsorship thing if your wanting to become an officer.

By the way,i think all pilots start off flying Hawk's as they are trainer aircraft,you basicly learn to fly in a hawk then move on to something else.

If you want to know anything else about the RAF then feel free to ask.

junior

Dec 1, 2003
Didsbury, Manchester
There's a lot of military experience on this board,mostly "hello sailor's" i think:lolol: (only joking guys),i dont know if any of them were officers in thier time,they maybe able to give you more of an insight into being an Officer.
Also Swindonseagull holds a very high NON-commissioned officer rank,he migh be a good person to talk to and MAY have been involved in training officers.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
There are flying scholarships available for universities.
My son and daughter were in the ATC and my daughter was one of the very first females to be awarded a flying scholarship.
She went to Biggin Hill for the tests and passed well enough to be a navigator (she was a few points short of pilot)
This awarded her £2K for her 6th form studies. She then got 5 grade A A levels (Maths, Further Maths, Physics Chemistry and Gen Studies)
She went to Nottm Uni and got her degree. Whilst there she went to Blackpool Airport to do her flying training and got her private pilots licence. She also realised that she didn't want to fly for a living and changed her mind. She was allowed to do that under the scholarship rules.
You don't have to have a degree to be an officer.
In your position I would join the ATC if there is one near you as the experience is invaluable. You get to visit camps on week long stays and can get the feel of the service.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
MYOB said:
Not the RAF, but I did try, and fail on eyesight grounds, the medical for the Irish Air Corps cadets. I have no idea why, it just seemed like a damn good idea at the time. Being stuffed into a 1950's Savoia-Marchetti, or maybe working my way up to air traffic control or flying the government Gulfstreams or LearJets, fun fun fun :shootself

have the Irish got an Air force?

1066gull

junior said:
If you want to fly (OMG:lolol: ),then you have to be an OFFICER (twat),which i can tell you nothing about exept that the entry critereia is high,and the training a lot harder.

Don't call me a twat for just asking:tosser:

I have 6 A-C GCSEs already and will probably (hopefully) get all 4 A-Levels at A-C. I am off out for a run.

http://www.rafcareers.com/jobs/job_files/jobfile_pilot.cfm

Last edited:

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Dies Irae said:
have the Irish got an Air force?

In a word, no. The Army, Air Corps, Naval Service and Reserve Defence Force are all part of the single Irish Defence Forces. The only division which are equipped to a level thats reasonable for a neutral country of our size is the Naval Service.

The Air Corps are similar to say, one small US government departments private air fleet. A few business jets, some small transport planes and a lot of trainers. Some copters.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
junior said:
I meant that Officers are twats,not you!

Really? It just goes to show your ignorance though doesn't it?

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
You do not need to be an officer to fly, there are non-commissioned aircrew filling a number of different roles, but you do need to be one to be a pilot in the RAF. If you are not interested in becoming an officer but still want to be a pilot then you can do as a soldier in the Army Air Corps, though they largely recruit from within and do like people who come from either a technical or infantry background.

1066gull

I apoligise Junior. :)

I am commited and dedicated to reaching the goals, and am aware I need something to sperate me from the rest as the majority of people who join the RAF want to be pilots.

junior

Dec 1, 2003
Didsbury, Manchester
A van der Meyde said:

I am commited and dedicated to reaching the goals, and am aware I need something to sperate me from the rest as the majority of people who join the RAF want to be pilots.

You dont have to persuede me,its the interview people you need to sell yourself to.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
A van der Meyde said:

Join an ATC unit. You will get the chance to fly and learn about the RAF whilst you're still at school.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
If you want to go to Uni then you can join a Cadet force in Uni whilst you're there.

junior

Dec 1, 2003
Didsbury, Manchester
Yorkie said:
Really? It just goes to show your ignorance though doesn't it?

Its just a genralisation.In the lower ranks "ruperts" are often seen as the butt of the joke,and while respected in my corps they often get the micky taken out of then (and take it very well).Prehaps twat was the wrong word.It was 06.30am when i wrote that!

junior

Dec 1, 2003
Didsbury, Manchester
Yorkie said:
If you want to go to Uni then you can join a Cadet force in Uni whilst you're there.

I also think there is something called the Officer training corps or something like that.Maybe that might be more use for you if your looking to become a pilot.

I also think some Universities have Air cadet squadrons or something similar.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports