Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Radio sussex commentary

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Seagulls Player costs 83p a game, plus all the extra highlights, videos and interviews.

That's pretty good value

If it worked it would be. The fact I am more likely to get a knock on the door from Claudia schiffer requestion a bunk up than a service which works for 90 minutes during a game makes it the worst value app / service I pay for by a country mile.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
But I also pay my BBC License fee and can listen to Radio Sussex at any other time of the week. So why prevent me from listening to something others who pay the same License fee can?

You don't need a license to listen to the radio, even if you listen to DAB on the TV.

Jan 30, 2008
can someone confirm this is right, you can only listen to the radio sussex commentary over the air (and therefore only in sussex), not via internet ?

Also, what about away games, do sussex broadcast these too ?
i miss the fans phone in :eek:, ALL WE GET NOW IS SOPPY TEXT'S READ OUT:down:
regards
DR

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
i miss the fans phone in :eek:, ALL WE GET NOW IS SOPPY TEXT'S READ OUT:down:
regards
DR

They still take about 4/5 calls from fans between 5pm and 6pm and often interview a selection of fans (for home games) pre/half time/after match (last week it was John Baine/Attila the Stockbroker amongst others) as well as read out the not always soppy texts and tweets.

Jan 30, 2008
They still take about 4/5 calls from fans between 5pm and 6pm and often interview a selection of fans (for home games) pre/half time/after match (last week it was John Baine/Attila the Stockbroker amongst others) as well as read out the not always soppy texts and tweets.
I'VE HEARD THE INTERVIEWS AT HALF TIME, ARE THESE PEOPLE PRE PICKED AS THEY SEEM TO POLITE?, DIDN'T KNOW ABOUT THE PHONE CALLS AFTERWARDS as i normally unplug on 90 MINS
regards
DR

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Not sure that's true. The BBC have actually secured the rights themselves for local (radio only) coverage of the Albion and many other non prem league commentaries around the country because there is a demand for them in their local areas.
Nearly all 40 BBC local radio stations do (radio only) live commentary of their local club (s). Commercial local radio sometimes bid for these rights.

The BBC do not have online rights as the League have kept those (and the full length highlights rights) to try to turn that into a subscription business for clubs (extended highlights, online commentary on various "player" branded products) Can make sense for expats or non Sussex Albion fans when it works of course. Too early to say whether it's generated enough business / subscribers to dub it a success for the league. / club

I understand the philosophy Jem, but it can get a little messy around the edges. Most of my radio listening at home is via the rather excellent Tunein Radio. Sussex cricket coverage is great if you can guess which live event number the BBC have randomly selected for a game. Football I am totally confused by what works and when, not just with Tunein Radio, but also via a Logitech Squeezebox, I usually have to fall back on FM coverage, which is otherwise pretty much redundant. BBC iplayer seems to have no problem recognising if you are in the UK or not, (ignoring the odd VPN solution here and there for now), why should radio coverage be any different ?

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex

Erm yes, but you also get a 20 minute interview with whoever the latest Aldershot manager is plus a text from the guy in Peasmarsh who seems to be the only Aldershot supporter in Sussex.

The only reason we got so many fans feedback last week was because the Aldershot feed wasn't working.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
The broadcast could be relayed over a VOIP connection, a home phone line and a mobile phone.

Better to use something like VLC to take the output from a radio and stream it as an online radio station. I might even try it later, if anyone's interested in listening to it.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
Yes and yes (again only over airwaves).

A sad ploy by our and all other clubs to stiff fans not living locally!

Although I recently discovered that I can get radio Sussex on my car radio in Leigh on Sea,Essex. In fact it's a better reception than BBC Essex. Result.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Better to use something like VLC to take the output from a radio and stream it as an online radio station. I might even try it later, if anyone's interested in listening to it.

Oh joyious porkie - if you could provide a URL where the BBC radio commentary was streamed, I'd be very pleased to partake.

Would this be legal though - thinking along copyright laws here? i.e. Are you allowed to re-broadcast BBC material?

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford

I hope you've got deep pockets to pay the fines. There will be lots of freeloader hoping to take advantage, but they wont be the one's in court. You will be.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Yeah, thinking about it, it's too risky to actually provide it. I might put together a howto though so people can do their own.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
Levo interviews his chums. He's caught me three times this season.

You sound younger than you look! The half time chat with Harty and yourself's was more enlightening than the commentary.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here