• I don't listen

Votes: 4 5.6%
  • Mind your own sodding business

Votes: 4 5.6%

• Total voters

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I can barely listen to 5 Live now, outside of live football commentaries on a Saturday or Sunday.

I used to be a very regular listener in the days of Eddie Mair, Peter Allen, Simon Mayo, Shelagh Fogarty, Fee Glover and so on. But now the presenting style is so dumbed down, the bias or personal agendas of the presenters so obvious and the quality of the output so tabloid I can barely bring myself to listen. It's like seeing an old and much-loved friend suffer from a terminal illness.

I used to quite like Rachel Burden on breakfast but the way she is so deferential to the unsufferably smug and patronising Nicky Cambell makes it a very uncomfortable listen. Is there is a person in the world who loves Nicky Campbell more than Nicky Campbell? In fact, he used to be very good too but over the past few years has become a parody of himself. His massively inflated sense of his own self-importance and just how very pleased he is with himself obscures every story or interview he broadcasts.

I think the move to Salford irreparably damaged 5 Live. Maybe the better quality production / editorial staff declined to move with the station? It certainly sounds like a 6th Form radio station now, with very little expert editorial control brought to bear on the output. Whatever the reason, the station and it's output really is piss-poor these days. I am a radio junkie but it's mostly Radio 4 for me now.

Rachel Burden is no Sheila Fogerty or Fi Glover or Victoria Derbyshire; her impartiality is non existent and her voice grates too. You’re bang on the money with your comments.

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
Radio 5 was my go to station for a very long time. Used to enjoy most of the day time programmes and usually only switched to sonething else when the Film Review came on on Friday afternoons. Enjoyed Danny Baker on Saturday morning and obviously all the football commentaries and 606.

I now listen to LBC but we're not in the football season when no doubt I'll tune back in

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
I've always listened to it and still do but now have to avoid it on weekday afternoons until Toney Livesey and Anna Foster start as Nihal Arthanayake gets right on my tits :annoyed:

This. Quite why Nihal has to do nothing but interviews with rap singers other than trying to attract a younger audience I don't know. He spoils an otherwise good line up of daily presenters.
Incidentally, it costs the BBC £50 million a year to run 5Live.

Solid at the back

Sep 1, 2010
Glorious Shoreham by Sea
Listen to 5live for everything football related, Champions league commentary this season was fantastic.

I stopped listening to 606 when Savage and Fletcher (the lads) and Kelly Cates and Ian Wright started doing it, it was awful.
Now I am listening to it again, I can just about put up with Savage, but I really enjoy ABB and Sutton on 606, best its been in years.
The only show I don't really listen to is the Friday Football preview with Jenas and Fletcher. I can't stand Fletcher, has the most irritating voice and wants to be one of the boys. Irritating prick.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I can barely listen to 5 Live now, outside of live football commentaries on a Saturday or Sunday.

I used to be a very regular listener in the days of Eddie Mair, Peter Allen, Simon Mayo, Shelagh Fogarty, Fee Glover and so on. But now the presenting style is so dumbed down, the bias or personal agendas of the presenters so obvious and the quality of the output so tabloid I can barely bring myself to listen. It's like seeing an old and much-loved friend suffer from a terminal illness.

I used to quite like Rachel Burden on breakfast but the way she is so deferential to the unsufferably smug and patronising Nicky Cambell makes it a very uncomfortable listen. Is there is a person in the world who loves Nicky Campbell more than Nicky Campbell? In fact, he used to be very good too but over the past few years has become a parody of himself. His massively inflated sense of his own self-importance and just how very pleased he is with himself obscures every story or interview he broadcasts.

I think the move to Salford irreparably damaged 5 Live. Maybe the better quality production / editorial staff declined to move with the station? It certainly sounds like a 6th Form radio station now, with very little expert editorial control brought to bear on the output. Whatever the reason, the station and it's output really is piss-poor these days. I am a radio junkie but it's mostly Radio 4 for me now.

Peter Allen and Jane Garvey were so unbelievably good.

I remember a two-hour local Councillor being interviewed by Allen on some local fluff story.
She quickly got uppity, mounted her high horse and begin to patronise Peter Allen.

The following 5 minutes was the most monumental assignation I have ever heard.
I genuinely stopped what I was doing and was just staring at the radio.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
I get fed up with the trendy school of journalism that says it's great to constantly interrupt your interviewees... I mean, let them talk and if they talk sh*t then let them dig their own deep hole.
I get fed up when they ask a detailed question at the end of the program and then cut short the answer after 5 seconds.
I get fed up when they are interviewing someone for whom English is a second or third language (especially sportsman) and then frequently use cryptic expressions
I too get fed up with Sutton and Jason Mohammed.

It's not only 5 live of course but it's a constant irritation to me!!!!!!!
Six music here I come 😎

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Peter Allen and Jane Garvey were so unbelievably good.

I remember a two-hour local Councillor being interviewed by Allen on some local fluff story.
She quickly got uppity, mounted her high horse and begin to patronise Peter Allen.

The following 5 minutes was the most monumental assignation I have ever heard.
I genuinely stopped what I was doing and was just staring at the radio.

Peter Allen was and is a brilliant presenter. Classy, honest and without an ounce of arrogance borne out of being in a privileged job. His gallows comments about anything melancholy, including all things his beloved Spurs (the perennial also rans), was/is endearing.

Tony Livesey, from a totally different background to Peter Allen, is similarly an excellent presenter, a truly kind person and hasn’t accrued arrogance.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Still enjoy 5 live in the mornings with Nicky Campbell or Chris Warburton.
Still enjoy the live sport.
Switch off when Jason Mohammed comes on. 606 is getting as bad as talksport.

On sports chats shows, the paid BBC person has always been the person to steer the conversation, allowing the guest pundits and newspaper columnists to debate. Mark Chapman and Kelly Cates do this expertly, they play second fiddle.

By complete contrast, Jason Mohammad adopts a shouty, interrupting and belligerent style, in a faux childish scrap with Robbie Savage. Both can be bullying to callers. Plus JM relentlessly praises his Cardiff City, who cares about them?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Peter Allen was and is a brilliant presenter. Classy, honest and without an ounce of arrogance borne out of being in a privileged job. His gallows comments about anything melancholy, including all things his beloved Spurs (the perennial also rans), was/is endearing.

Tony Livesey, from a totally different background to Peter Allen, is similarly an excellent presenter, a truly kind person and hasn’t accrued arrogance.

Yes Livesey does deserve some praise, he is very good.

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
I listen mainly to Studio 54 Radio which is on SiriusXMSatellite Radio . Lots of great 70's and 80's dance, funk & disco.

I'm way to cool for heavy metal 😀

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here