[Albion] Radio 5 boys condemn us to relegation

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Goal of the month for February is
Murray
Rhiannon from the women’s team
Gwargis from the youth team

We cannot even field three first team men’s goal for this.
I would have given it to Mariappa!

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Although I am a massive fan of what Potter is trying to achieve we are about to find out if he has what it takes to manage at this level. Tinkering has to stop and he needs to show faith in what he considers his best 11 and motivate them to dig deep enough and believe in themselves. In short he needs to show PL ability.

I really believe that, with some elusive luck, we have enough to stay up.

Strangely I am still enjoying this season and do not feel the angst I felt at this time last year where I hated what I was watching :shrug:

Of course we are being written off by pundits, it’s looks like we are going down on recent events. I’d write us off if I wasn’t an Albion fan

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Because Fletcher is an absolute wanker. Dreadful commentator and presenter and in a position way beyond his station. I’m not saying this because he thinks we’re going down as that’s obviously a fair comment to make at the moment but he really is shit.

His trying to be one of the lads style with the footballers is so grating, it’s worse than Jake Humphrey which says something. Total imbecile.

Goodness, we agree on something [emoji2][emoji23]

Bang on.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Why do presenters have to talk in such ridiculous hyperbole? Fletcher says it was the weakest performance he has seen from anyone at home in the PL this season. 20+ shots, 8 on target, 3 gilt edged chances that should have been goals. Yes, the finishing was rubbish and we were slow and ponderous for large periods, but until the sucker punch came, we and the Palace fans only expected one team to break the deadlock. According to Fletcher our performance was weaker than the one Southampton put in at home against Leicester.

The recent performances have lacked confidence and a cutting edge, but they are not in the same league of dismal as those against Bournemouth, Southampton & Cardiff at the end of last year. Yes, Tony Bloom wanted to change the way we played after sacking Chris, but partly because Chris's style had stopped working for this squad. Many of those in the media criticising us now for making the change, were pointing out this fact towards the end of last year.

The team is failing to win matches not because the style of football can't work. It's because the team is not playing the style as effectively as they were earlier in the season.
They can do it effectively and, despite the struggles in 2020, still look just one early goal away from remembering this themselves.

That is because other teams worked us out, and countered. We had no answer.
Also, worth noting that even when we were playing that style effectively it still didn’t translate into many points.

Re the pundits, I have heard a lot of informed analysis of us on the radio this season, not that analysing us is that difficult.
We got rid of hughton because we wanted to play better football and play young players.
It looked promising for a little bit.
But now we concede a lot , and don’t finish our chances.
That’s no good in a competitive league.
so unless we find something different we will go down.

Last edited:

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I am not even sure is it Potter's fault anymore. His style of football It is good but he does not have the tools to impliment it. It is becoming clearer every game that the squad is not very good. Not good enough to remain in the premier league for a long time. Who do we have that clubs would rush to buy if we went down ? Lewis Dunk for sure, Maty Ryan and Shane Duffy for a midtable premier team and , er, that is it.

The recruitment has been woeful, to be fair over 3 seasons. Too many duds. Too many fireworks who did not light up. Also we can score goals, just not enough of them. Maupay is a championship player for finishing. Yes he has 8 but a quality striker would have got 20 odd from the chances he has got. March's miss last Saturday was crime of the decade.

It really was unforgivable to put that in the side netting. 99% of nsc members would have scored that one. Potter must be livid at that. It is 50/50 but with the run in we are in the deep plop

SeagullDubai

May 13, 2016
I would today [emoji2]

5 midfielders vs Wolves. Alzate, Propper, MacAllister, Stephens, Gross.

Please. Not Proper and Stephens together. Fast turnovers and quick forward distribution will be key in this game

Sent from my MI 6 using Tapatalk

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I am not even sure is it Potter's fault anymore. His style of football It is good but he does not have the tools to impliment it. It is becoming clearer every game that the squad is not very good. Not good enough to remain in the premier league for a long time. Who do we have that clubs would rush to buy if we went down ? Lewis Dunk for sure, Maty Ryan and Shane Duffy for a midtable premier team and , er, that is it.

The recruitment has been woeful, to be fair over 3 seasons. Too many duds. Too many fireworks who did not light up. Also we can score goals, just not enough of them. Maupay is a championship player for finishing. Yes he has 8 but a quality striker would have got 20 odd from the chances he has got. March's miss last Saturday was crime of the decade.

It really was unforgivable to put that in the side netting. 99% of nsc members would have scored that one. Potter must be livid at that. It is 50/50 but with the run in we are in the deep plop

Not convinced he that March would have scored but as PL player with plenty of experience it was unforgivable that he didn’t even work the keeper, well it was imo anyway. At least Maupay hit the target with most of his shots.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Please. Not Proper and Stephens together. Fast turnovers and quick forward distribution will be key in this game

Sent from my MI 6 using Tapatalk

Play your best players and leaders.

We have missed Stephens and arguably Propper is one of our better players

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Because Fletcher is an absolute wanker. Dreadful commentator and presenter and in a position way beyond his station. I’m not saying this because he thinks we’re going down as that’s obviously a fair comment to make at the moment but he really is shit.

His trying to be one of the lads style with the footballers is so grating, it’s worse than Jake Humphrey which says something. Total imbecile.

This. Glad to see that someone else spotted that Fletcher is a tosser.

I thought this before we made it to the PL. His modus operandi; a dominating know-it-all, everything a black and white issue, his side of the argument ‘right’.

WTF. His role is meant to be the neutral, polite presenter, as are Mark Chapman, Kelly Cates, Alistair Bruce Ball.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Fletchers assertion that our performance against palace was “the weakest he’d ever seen from a home team in the PL” is plainly wrong. He either didn’t watch it or understand what he was watching, but most likely he’s just a ****.

West Upper Seagull

Oct 31, 2003
Woodingdean
The team is failing to win matches not because the style of football can't work. It's because the team is not playing the style as effectively as they were earlier in the season. They can do it effectively and, despite the struggles in 2020, still look just one early goal away from remembering this themselves.

That is because other teams worked us out, and countered. We had no answer.
Also, worth noting that even when we were playing that style effectively it still didn’t translate into many points.

In my opinion there are 2 massive reasons why we’re nowhere near as effective as we were in the first half of the season:
1. We have stopped pressing teams and closing them down higher up the pitch. You think of the games we deservedly won, eg. Watford, Spurs & Arsenal - we didn’t let them settle or play and pressed them high up the pitch, and on occasions we scored from dispossessing them in their half and breaking quickly. This level of work rate has gone backwards.

2. Our finishing. Apart from Murray, our team has absolutely no composure in front of goal. Players feel they have to try and break the back of the net and either blast it over or straight at the keeper as a result. They need coaching that it’s ok to score a goal by passing / placing the ball into the net, which gives them far greater control and accuracy of their shot.

IMHO these are 2 aspects of our game that could easily be rectified and increase our chances of staying up.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
In my opinion there are 2 massive reasons why we’re nowhere near as effective as we were in the first half of the season:
1. We have stopped pressing teams and closing them down higher up the pitch. You think of the games we deservedly won, eg. Watford, Spurs & Arsenal - we didn’t let them settle or play and pressed them high up the pitch, and on occasions we scored from dispossessing them in their half and breaking quickly. This level of work rate has gone backwards.

2. Our finishing. Apart from Murray, our team has absolutely no composure in front of goal. Players feel they have to try and break the back of the net and either blast it over or straight at the keeper as a result. They need coaching that it’s ok to score a goal by passing / placing the ball into the net, which gives them far greater control and accuracy of their shot.

IMHO these are 2 aspects of our game that could easily be rectified and increase our chances of staying up.

3. Defensive (including from midfield) howlers. Throwing away all the hard work in games. The PL has always punished possession based teams, who slip up just that once. Rewarding the likes of CP who patiently wait for the inevitable error, seemingly content to forego territory and possession for spells. Whether these have stopped a win or brought us a loss, this season has been littered with them. Very costly, TB’s PL dream on a knife edge of ending.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

Wow. Hyperbole. March's miss 'the crime of the decade'? Granted, we're only two months into it, but you're obviously not concentrating. Maupay would have got 20-odd from the chances he has got. Remind me how many goals the leading PL scorer has got this season? If you really think this, then you are of the view that we're playing the best football in the league, creating the most chances, and are merely thwarted by a 23yo striker playing his first season in the PL.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
This. Glad to see that someone else spotted that Fletcher is a tosser.

I thought this before we made it to the PL. His modus operandi; a dominating know-it-all, everything a black and white issue, his side of the argument ‘right’.

WTF. His role is meant to be the neutral, polite presenter, as are Mark Chapman, Kelly Cates, Alistair Bruce Ball.

Yes, those three are the best presenters.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Wow. Hyperbole. March's miss 'the crime of the decade'? Granted, we're only two months into it, but you're obviously not concentrating. Maupay would have got 20-odd from the chances he has got. Remind me how many goals the leading PL scorer has got this season? If you really think this, then you are of the view that we're playing the best football in the league, creating the most chances, and are merely thwarted by a 23yo striker playing his first season in the PL.

good points, the miss was a shocker, maupay ok not 20 odd but 15, it is what it is. We need to spend £ 40 m plus on players at this level and we are not of that budget

West Upper Seagull

Oct 31, 2003
Woodingdean
3. Defensive (including from midfield) howlers. Throwing away all the hard work in games. The PL has always punished possession based teams, who slip up just that once. Rewarding the likes of CP who patiently wait for the inevitable error, seemingly content to forego territory and possession for spells. Whether these have stopped a win or brought us a loss, this season has been littered with them. Very costly, TB’s PL dream on a knife edge of ending.

Can’t disagree with that.
:thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here