Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Race Is ON To Tart Up London Road!

Plake

Unregistered User
Nov 7, 2009
Brighton seafront
Thinking about buying a couple of buy to let flats - was going to look around the hospital for the doctor market but am tempted by the sound of this optimism that Lonners road might not be an armpit for much longer.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
In more fairness, there's absolutely no reason why it SHOULD be the London Road in this day and age. Send the fu*kers the long way round. Reclaim the streets as it were. No way should priority be given to private motorists roaring through a local main thoroughfare while shoppers who may be actually contributing something to the local economy are restricted to being kettled along narrow pavements or made to wait far longer than is reasonable just to cross from one side of the road to the other. Its a scene repeated all over Brighton and its all a bit shit really.

What, send them the long way round down someone else's road you mean?

And of course there's the possibility that some of the "fu*kers" may well be ordinary local people driving from one of the city car parks with their boots full of stuff they have just bought.

Fact is, cars and pedestrians can rub along together very well - Upper Street in Islington for example is a very posh shopping street with far more cars in it than London Road will ever have. The important things is to get the landscaping right and give pedestrians priority.

In more fairness, there's absolutely no reason why it SHOULD be the London Road in this day and age. Send the fu*kers the long way round. Reclaim the streets as it were. No way should priority be given to private motorists roaring through a local main thoroughfare while shoppers who may be actually contributing something to the local economy are restricted to being kettled along narrow pavements or made to wait far longer than is reasonable just to cross from one side of the road to the other. Its a scene repeated all over Brighton and its all a bit shit really.

Can you tell me where pedestrians are kettled on pavements and made to wait to cross the road from one side to the other in Brighton and Hove? It ain't London Road where there are wide pavements from Cheapside to Preston Circus and six pedestrian crossings. In fact I'm struggling to think of any shopping area in Brighton and Hove that doesn't cater for pedestrians.

And of course there's the possibility that some of the "fu*kers" may well be ordinary local people driving from one of the city car parks with their boots full of stuff they have just bought.

Fact is, cars and pedestrians can rub along together very well - Upper Street in Islington for example is a very posh shopping street with far more cars in it than London Road will ever have. The important things is to get the landscaping right and give pedestrians priority.

Upper Street is an excellent example of what London Road should look like.

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
Really? Where did this nugget come from?

True, it's an ugly building, but I've only read reports that intend to keep it going.

Have to admit I cannot recall where I saw/heard that. Probabaly a load of rubbish, have just checked on Google and can't see anythibng to suggest it is being demolished.

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
I have been watching all the work being done on the Hare and Hounds, I see its going to be Meantime pup (small real ale brewer with pubs near Charlton's ground), was at the London Velodrome the other weekend and both Meantime and Dark Star had beer concessions there. It looks good, and will have Mexican Street food concensession, is this the end of UK Subs gigs though.

They must be confident that the new flats, investment else where will bring the punters in

http://www.hareandhoundsbrighton.co...o.uk&utm_campaign=BR0275110&utm_creative=Skin

Keeping The Dream Alive.

Naming Rights
May 28, 2008
WSU
The people they're getting in to do the Mexican food are superb. I can see the place really taking off. Think I might pop in there on Saturday after the game.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P

pedestrianising London Road has to be up there with one of the maddest crankiest ill thought out things i have ever read on here. its too funny for words. i am not a car freedom nut or anything, but thats just insane. the only alternative mooted is an aggressive 'let them drive somewhere else' solution. scary.

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
pedestrianising London Road has to be up there with one of the maddest crankiest ill thought out things i have ever read on here. its too funny for words. i am not a car freedom nut or anything, but thats just insane. the only alternative mooted is an aggressive 'let them drive somewhere else' solution. scary.

As already said, I don't think anyone has suggested any plans of pedestianing the area, in fact most of the current debate is about reducing the on street parking costs, although the big multi storey car park is only £1.

Attachments

• Open Market .jpg
    Open Market .jpg
    932.8 KB · Views: 358
  • Workshops .jpg
    Workshops .jpg
    908.2 KB · Views: 267

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
As already said, I don't think anyone has suggested any plans of pedestianing the area, in fact most of the current debate is about reducing the on street parking costs, although the big multi storey car park is only £1.

Thanks for the pictures :)

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
Yes, that's THPP's idea - no-one else's.

thats not the same as it being no ones. its still an idea. just because its not a plan tendered by a political party or officialdom doent not make it a suggestion or a plan. pedestrianising london road was mooted in the first post - yes or no?

dont try so hard to trip people up. i know you dig the greens. even you must see there is something faintly ridiculous about pedestrianising the london road. you have to be very obtuse or pompous not to see there is something amusing about that suggestion, right or wrong.

i propose an even more radical scheme i reckon we should go for broke and make the M23 a massive farmers market. there. i said it. what.

Last edited:

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
thats not the same as it being no ones.

i reckon we should go for broke and make the M23 a massive farmers market.

And the large town at the northern end of it the slurry pit.

Oh...wait...

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
I have been watching all the work being done on the Hare and Hounds, I see its going to be Meantime pup (small real ale brewer with pubs near Charlton's ground), was at the London Velodrome the other weekend and both Meantime and Dark Star had beer concessions there. It looks good, and will have Mexican Street food concensession, is this the end of UK Subs gigs though.

They must be confident that the new flats, investment else where will bring the punters in

http://www.hareandhoundsbrighton.co...o.uk&utm_campaign=BR0275110&utm_creative=Skin

Just been up there for a Friday lunchtime pint. I'm absolutely GOBSMACKED.

I'm generally not one for the needless modernisation of pubs, but they've nailed this - it's been absolutely transformed for the better. Lovely bit of Hophead. Lovely La Choza. And it got busy too.

And Frankie COCCOZZA was in there. My second celeb spot of the week after Louis from Gogglebox (outside Primark with a right face on).

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003

For sure, talk of pedestrianising one of the town's main shopping streets is just crazy talk. How could that ever work? Who on earth would want a pleasant shopping area to stroll around in the middle of town? :shrug:

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
I had a pleasant few drinks in the new Hare and Hounds last weekend BUT was gobsmacked at the price of some of the beers. I know Punk IPA is usually expensive so I steer clear of it, however they also had a lighter, lower alcohol Brewdog beer on tap. I forget it's name now but I decided I'd have a pint of that, and it came in at £5.25!!

Bought a round of just three pints and got NO notes back from a score. OUCH

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here