Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] Race across the World.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patreon
May 8, 2007
Toronto
So far it seems just to show that the best way to get around in Canada is by car and if you ask nicely someone will take you for free!

Yes, they're obviously hitting some fairly remote places. They might get lucky with buses in some areas and train coverage is very limited (and expensive) so I do see them doing a lot of hitch-hiking. That budget really isn't going to get them far. Not much is cheap in Canada, especially food and drink. I'm sure they'll discover Tim Horton's though!

It was hard to make too much judgement of them on the first episode. The brother who lives with his parents could really struggle. I can see the father/daughter having a falling out too.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Enjoyed that. Lot of nostalgia for me, too, having been born and lived as a kid on Vancouver Island.

The pair that keep buying taxis won’t last long at this rate.

Timbo

Jul 5, 2003
Hassocks
Loved the first couple of series but this one has been very poor. Incredibly irritating contestants except from Monique and her dad just following each other around. There’s no real options to go any other ways! Massive gaps in continuity as well.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Enjoying seeing and understanding a bit more about Canada but as a race, this one is the dullest yet. As a lot of it is so remote the teams often end up on the same bus/train, and there is obviously less variety in culture/setting than when people are going across Europe/Asia.

As for this season's couples;

Cathie & Tricia (mates) - feels set up for them to win, certainly feel like we've spent the most time getting to know them
Monique & Ladi (Dad & Daughter)- Quite like them.
Kevin & Claudia (Dad & Daughter) - An interesting combination, and expect further fall outs as they have near opposite ways of dealing with issues.
Mobeen & Zainib (Couple) - I find her inscrutable, cannot work her out. Also really not sure about her Joan Jett haircut in the talking head segments, don't think it suits her at all.

Wasn't surprised to see the 2 brothers go out, the more withdrawn one seemed to be really struggling to be away from home.

Also agreed on @Timbo 's point - both me and Mrs Mellotron noticed massive issues with editing, certain situations just left unresolved or unexplained, sudden jumps forward etc. Feels like they recorded for a 12-14 episode series and were told at the last moment it needed to be 8 episodes, or something like that.

Future seasons - at some point they will run out of fresh routes, but from what I can think of;

I'd like to see one from the top of Scandinavia all the way down to somewhere in Africa. That would be tasty and have a huge range of culture, climate, modes of transport.

Another potential one could be something like India, to the South Coast of Australia. Tricky though - a lot of water to cross.

Last edited:

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Agree with both @Mellotron and @Timbo comments above.

Haven't watched last nights yet but last week was really dull. You've got one train to make and they all made it on time even if the train was mega late.

On the two brothers I think the plan must have been the more withdrawn one would get really confident and become a new man and it would make great telly. Then turned out they were actually crap at racing and they had to go. Why else would you have them there?

Shame really as the first two series were great.

Seagull27

Feb 7, 2011
Bristol
I've enjoyed this series, but it is missing the border crossing drama. Also, the twice weekly train to Churchill was a bit ridiculous as it has basically written off any differences in the first few legs.

I'd like Mobeen & Zainib to win, they seem genuine and they've definitely done best in terms of actually experiencing things rather than just getting on the next bus/taxi.

Can't stand Claudia & Kevin, hope their ridiculous taxis come back to bite them in the last couple of legs with no budget left.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
As above, loved the first episode as it featured my birthplace/childhood of Vancouver Island.

However – and although I'm sticking with it – it's by far the worst 'race' yet. Compared to S1 and S2.

Last night's episode was basically everyone getting the same train, then the same two buses. They might as well just lay on a BBC minibus for cast and crew, and be done with it. There's almost always only one way to get to the next checkpoint, or at best a slight alternative, but there's no real tension or interest in the race at all. The only factor now is whether Kevin & Claudia run out of money from using so many taxis.

It's struggling to be more than just a sequence of clearly set-up 'jobs' and 'experiences' that showcase various bits of Canadian culture, life etc.

Maybe the 'just-after-Covid' filming period meant they had to massively box it in logistically, but when you think back to S1 especially, and also S2, there were countless ways to get to the next stop in terms of routes, transport, possibilities etc – that was what made the show. This is just a procession.

shingle

Jan 18, 2004
Lewes
I applied to go this years series and had an email back expressing interest, Mrs Shingle bottled it unfortunately before it went any further, 'didnt want to be on telly'.

PeterT

Apr 21, 2017
Hove
I applied to go this years series and had an email back expressing interest, Mrs Shingle bottled it unfortunately before it went any further, 'didnt want to be on telly'.
If you’d blown the budget on the first leg, you wouldn’t have been on the telly for that long ….

shingle

Jan 18, 2004
Lewes
If you’d blown the budget on the first leg, you wouldn’t have been on the telly for that long ….
True ...... but unlikely though, 40 years travelling the globe would have given us an edge. Looking at this years participants Monique and Ladi would have given us a run for our money, the others ... pfft. Still, there's always the next series, I'd love to do it.

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
Enjoying seeing and understanding a bit more about Canada but as a race, this one is the dullest yet. As a lot of it is so remote the teams often end up on the same bus/train, and there is obviously less variety in culture/setting than when people are going across Europe/Asia.

Cathie & Tricia (mates) - feels set up for them to win, certainly feel like we've spent the most time getting to know them
Kevin & Claudia (Dad & Daughter) - An interesting combination, and expect further fall outs as they have near opposite ways of dealing with issues.
Mobeen & Zainib (Couple) - I find her inscrutable, cannot work her out. Also really not sure about her Joan Jett haircut in the talking head segments, don't think it suits her at all.

Wasn't surprised to see the 2 brothers go out, the more withdrawn one seemed to be really struggling to be away from home.

Also agreed on @Timbo 's point - both me and Mrs Mellotron noticed massive issues with editing, certain situations just left unresolved or unexplained, sudden jumps forward etc. Feels like they recorded for a 12-14 episode series and were told at the last moment it needed to be 8 episodes, or something like that.

Future seasons - at some point they will run out of fresh routes, but from what I can think of;

I'd like to see one from the top of Scandinavia all the way down to somewhere in Africa. That would be tasty and have a huge range of culture, climate, modes of transport.

Another potential one could be something like India, to the South Coast of Australia. Tricky though - a lot of water to cross.
I've had an interest in this series as Trish is a friend I've helped on ultra marathon distance walking events. she's a lovely lady and very determined on the whole. not coming across as genuine as she is but could be in the editing

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patreon
May 8, 2007
Toronto

Similar feelings here. I was obviously looking forward to this series given it's in Canada but going to the remote places has made it difficult for them to engineer a race out of it. It does highlight the lack of public transport across most of Canada!

I think next week's episode could be a bit different. Ontario and Quebec are the most populated provinces, so there will be plenty more options for them. I think Kevin & Claudia could be screwed by their budget. Trains and buses aren't cheap, plus they're far less likely to be able to hitch hike in the less remote places.

My feelings on the couples:

Cathie & Tricia (mates) - Agreed, they've been painted as the nice favourites and are very likeable.
Monique & Ladi (Dad & Daughter)- They seem to have a good relationship and obviously work well together. Their hearts are in the right place too.
Kevin & Claudia (Dad & Daughter) - Every week is basically a big falling out followed by making up.
Mobeen & Zainib (Couple) - She's a bit irritating but I really can't stand him. He comes across as slightly arrogant and fake.

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
Get the feeling that at least one couple will run out of money.
Shame most of them are taking the same (only) route.
Not sure if my wife had just had a replacement kidney that I would leave her for a couple of months.

PeterT

Apr 21, 2017
Hove
Maybe the next series should take them across disputed borders and war zones, that would spice it up a bit!

A1X

NSC Patreon
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Being in a rich country with a lot of private cars does take the edge off it a bit IMHO, better watching them choose to do the rattling local bus for 20p or spend £100 on the luxury one.

I’d like to see them do something like Gibraltar to Cape Town with no checkpoints, real variety of options, but K accept that’s probably not feasible.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
COVID really killed this particular series because they couldn’t cross borders - just too complex apparently. One route and a single culture takes a lot of the fun away. Thought it was really odd too when they were in the Rockies that the leaders had to relinquish all their time gains as they couldn’t set off early in the day because the bears would be too active. Why not start later and hold the others back accordingly? Feel like I must have misunderstood that. Still enjoying it but will be good to see it bounce back to top form in series 4 - it’s a great format.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Well I’m enjoying it. Showing how beautiful Canada is and that Canadians are very friendly. Have a feeling as they get into the more populated cities money will become a serious issue.
Granted not as good as previous series but needs must

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
I've seen the series advertised a few times, but not got round to watching any of it - will be making an effort to catch up now as we love Canada & keep saying we have to get back - this might convince the missus to go again sooner than later!

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Claudia, it turns out is a facebook friend of a few people I know locally. they all seem very supportive of her, so presume she must actually be a decent sort IRL.

Her Dad seems to have a mental age of about 15.

Personally rooting for Ladi and Monique. He seems a great bloke / Dad.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here