Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

RAC

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Of the other 4 cars that got home before you, were any of them with the RAC? there can't be 5 different breakdown services are there?

No idea. Can think of AA, RAC and Green Flag, but I'm sure there is more. The one in front and behind were AA, no RAC were there that I saw, and I didn't look beyond that.

swindonseagull

Aug 6, 2003
Swindon, but used to be Manila
Is there a reason why it's not possible to change the wheel yourself ?

My car ( 2 years old) has no spare wheel just an inflation kit...no help the other day when I had a complete blow out on a 2 month old tyre!!! I dont think tyreweld would have helped either.
Was sat on the A419 ( a main dual carrige way ) for 2 hours 30 mins before being recovered by the RAC....even the old bill turned up for a laugh...
One rather clever ? lorry driver opened his window and shouted ' why did you stop there you ****?' the policeman who was present took a note of his number plate.

IMG_9022.JPG

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
My car ( 2 years old) has no spare wheel just an inflation kit...no help the other day when I had a complete blow out on a 2 month old tyre!!! I dont think tyreweld would have helped either.
Was sat on the A419 ( a main dual carrige way ) for 2 hours 30 mins before being recovered by the RAC....even the old bill turned up for a laugh...
One rather clever ? lorry driver opened his window and shouted ' why did you stop there you ****?' the policeman who was present took a note of his number plate.

attachment.php

Dangerous one. My car has some computer intelligence (no idea what it is) that stops it doing anything silly when it has a blowout. RAC and 2 hours 30 minutes you say? I just dumped them for the AA. Service from them is absolute bollocks.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Doesn't matter if it's broad daylight or pitch dark rain or sunshine, if a puncture is part of the service provided by a breakdown company then call them out.. Ignore the shit being spouted by all the resident mechanics. I have called them out for punctures before and it won't stop me in the future. Why should i get my hands dirty for something that i paid for?

swindonseagull

Aug 6, 2003
Dangerous one. My car has some computer intelligence (no idea what it is) that stops it doing anything silly when it has a blowout. RAC and 2 hours 30 minutes you say? I just dumped them for the AA. Service from them is absolute bollocks.

The first RAC man turned up within 30 min and said.....you need a recovery truck and off he went leaving me on the dual carriageway ......I told the operator when I called them out the car had no spare wheel.....Complete clowns.....eventually they contracted it to a local recovery firm ( I think on police advice) due to traffic build up.

swindonseagull

Aug 6, 2003
Doesn't matter if it's broad daylight or pitch dark rain or sunshine, if a puncture is part of the service provided by a breakdown company then call them out.. Ignore the shit being spouted by all the resident mechanics. I have called them out for punctures before and it won't stop me in the future. Why should i get my hands dirty for something that i paid for?

The resident mechanics can spout their shit but if the car dont come with a spare wheel what are you to do?

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Why should i get my hands dirty for something that i paid for?

Because it may be quicker and less stressful than sitting at the side of the road getting wound up by the amount of time they are taking to arrive to do a 10 minute job :shrug:

But as the saying goes, you pay your money and take your choice

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Because it may be quicker and less stressful than sitting at the side of the road getting wound up by the amount of time they are taking to arrive to do a 10 minute job :shrug:

But as the saying goes, you pay your money and take your choice

And as I said, if it is pitch black on a country road and you cannot see to the sides of your car and if you've never changed a wheel on said car and you could damage the car by jacking it up in the wrong point, what would you do? Have a comedy half hour whilst the jack sticks through your floor before finally deciding to call the service you pay (me £240 a year) for?

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
And as I said, if it is pitch black on a country road and you cannot see to the sides of your car and if you've never changed a wheel on said car and you could damage the car by jacking it up in the wrong point, what would you do? Have a comedy half hour whilst the jack sticks through your floor before finally deciding to call the service you pay (me £240 a year) for?

I have changed a wheel in the pitch black on a car that I've never had to do before, but I'm a cheapskate. As I said above, you pay your money and take your choice. Me, I'll get dirty, take the chance and be back on the road rather than wait.

Changing an offside blowout on the hardshoulder of the M25 tends to see how fast you can get that jack handle moving :wink:

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I have changed a wheel in the pitch black on a car that I've never had to do before, but I'm a cheapskate :wink: As I said above, you pay your money and take your choice. Me, I'll get dirty, take the chance and be back on the road rather than wait.

I'm not a cheapskate and expect a service I pay for. :wink:

swindonseagull

Aug 6, 2003
I have changed a wheel in the pitch black on a car that I've never had to do before, but I'm a cheapskate. As I said above, you pay your money and take your choice. Me, I'll get dirty, take the chance and be back on the road rather than wait.

Changing an offside blowout on the hardshoulder of the M25 tends to see how fast you can get that jack handle moving :wink:

Sounds like you have a death wish.....

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Not ridiculous. It's a fact. Any bloke worth his salt knows how to change a flat. End of.
It's not a case of knowing how to change a flat it's about paying for a service :facepalm:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here