Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

R.I.P. The Jungle

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Just made the mistake of clicking on the calais hashtag on twitter. The hate and bile that people spew is genuinely depressing.

I'm sure you're right (I don't have twitter so don't see it). However, there is still a debate to be had by reasonable people on both sides and we can simply ignore the extremists, name callers and haters. I don't see any such abuse on this thread for instance.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
I'm just trying to get the bloke to realise that a massive civil war in Syria, combined with the rise of ISIS, has displaced millions of people, literally fleeing for their f**king lives. These people didn't just congeal in a gutter in Greece or Italy or Austria or Switzerland and think "oh, England looks jolly nice". He's being wilfully ignorant of the pain and suffering of other human beings and that f**ks me off.

Now, with that being said, I'm going to flounce out of this topic before I say anything that'll end up with me being suspended.

Good day!
Can you tell me why they aren't claiming asylum in France ?

Should be the same as an airport, arrive without a visa then it detention overnight and deported next available flight with the airline paying,

Getting on a ferry, as a regular customer, is going to be a lot more complicated than it ever used to be. This is not going to be great for business. Will it put ferry operators out of business?

swindonseagull

Aug 6, 2003
Swindon, but used to be Manila
Getting on a ferry, as a regular customer, is going to be a lot more complicated than it ever used to be. This is not going to be great for business. Will it put ferry operators out of business?

I cant see it being any more complicated than checking in at an airport after all it is International travel.
I use a ferry to france a few times a year and the passports are taken away and checked in the booth so I really cant see it being more complicated.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Most of the people living in the Jungle haven't even registered with the French authorities. It's the reason the Jungle exists ... the French government doesn't want to acknowledge who these people are or where they have come from. They have simply been permitted to set up camp and squat there in anonymity. Closing the camp down presents a bit of a challenge to the authorities, if any record of the individuals is to be made.

many of them do not want to register with the french authorities for a good reason. it would set in motion the asylum process. Many will be refused asylum as they are economic migrants.The french have tried to acknowledge these people, they have set up a reception centre and secure accommodation inside the jungle for those that wish to register for asylum.Its telling many dont even want to use this process.
It is the dream of many to enter the country illegally,work and live here illegally,and if you get caught a few years down the line then you can claim asylum and chance your luck with the system.Many will be happy to live here under the radar.

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
Such a vacuous response, what exactly do you think should happen to these migrants, what status would you offer them and why have they, mainly men crossed a number of borders from safe EU countries to get to this stage, it seems a significant number of them have no real respect for the law or for others belongings or livelhoods.

Why would you think that the most determined crminal element should somehow be rewarded with the most favourable outcomes.

My response was mainly directed at the UK and French authorities for the blunt tool hammer approach. They close the camp, without any real strategy on how they will deal with the Migrants. The majority of the camp are from North west Africa and are not fleeing any war. It's those people which are quite easily identifiable from war torn Syrians. But seeing as the home office can't distinguish between a Child and an Adult I don't hold out much hope that the migrants will be processed properly.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
I cant see it being any more complicated than checking in at an airport after all it is International travel.
I use a ferry to france a few times a year and the passports are taken away and checked in the booth so I really cant see it being more complicated.

Even if it were more complicated and expensive surely it is right that the commercial enterprise that is making money from the route bears all costs from their business model. Why should our community subsidize private business by incurring the social costs and consequences simply to prop up profits. Seems like a rather extreme capitalism being advocated by LB.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
Can you tell me why they aren't claiming asylum in France ?

Why shouldn't we take our fair share? France already take more than us (71,000 compared to 39,000 last year). Germany took 442,000.

Only 3% of all EU applications were made to the UK in 2015.

Turkey has 2.5m Syrian refugees, Jordan & Lebanon 1.7m.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
Why shouldn't we take our fair share? France already take more than us (71,000 compared to 39,000 last year). Germany took 442,000.

That wasn't what I asked was it ? I asked "Can you tell me why they aren't claiming asylum in france ? " Well can you ?

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
That wasn't what I asked was it ? I asked "Can you tell me why they aren't claiming asylum in france ? " Well can you ?

I would offer the answer if I may?

Probably because they get a much easier ride in the UK? They get, or have the impression that they'll be housed and receive benefits.
I don't know if that's true and offer no judgement on it but I suspect that's true.
A bit like the Irish fleeing to the US during the famine. Seems a good deal.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003

There's likely to be a mutlitude or reasons, as you know. You also know that nobody can give you specific answers to your questions, which you will take as your win here.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Can ask a naive question?

Was the Jungle camp set up by authorities initially or was it something that grew out of the refugees/ immigrants just pitching up and staying put before trying to get over the channel?

It started as an unofficial overspill to an official facility. It has sustained itself through neglect from the French authorities. Seems now and belatedly they are taking responsibility for proper processing by dispersement to reception centers with sufficient facilities for the proper treatment of human beings. I do have some sympathy for the French though as they themselves have been let down by the other countries en route in a collective failure to document and process applications.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
It started as an unofficial overspill to an official facility. It has sustained itself through neglect from the French authorities. Seems now and belatedly they are taking responsibility for proper processing by dispersement to reception centers with sufficient facilities for the proper treatment of human beings. I do have some sympathy for the French though as they themselves have been let down by the other countries en route in a collective failure to document and process applications.

Thank you, sounds horrendous.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006

Its on top of the net flow of migrants that have already been historically unprecedented that makes people less inclined to take any more, the latest debacle on minors from Calaise doesnt help either.

Worth noting that we are twice as densely populated than Germany and three and half times more than France, which doesnt bode for those wishing continued inward migration.

Just looking at refugees and its data doesnt really tell the whole story of why Britain might be more reluctant than some to continue with unfettered immigration wherever it might come.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Its on top of the net flow of migrants that have already been historically unprecedented that makes people less inclined to take any more, the latest debacle on minors from Calaise doesnt help either.

Worth noting that we are twice as densely populated than Germany and three and half times more than France, which doesnt bode for those wishing continued inward migration.

Just looking at refugees and its data doesnt really tell the whole story of why Britain might be more reluctant than some to continue with unfettered immigration wherever it might come.
The reason of overpopulation and population density is a very real problem that is mostly overlooked.

yxee

Oct 24, 2011
Manchester
How would we know? Each person is likely to have their own reasons. Perhaps friends/family are already here.

Here is a study on the subject.

http://www.refugeecouncil.org.uk/assets/0001/5702/rcchance.pdf

Evasion tactics:

1. Answer a different question, try to start debate on 'fair share'
2. Plead ignorance, citing individual reasons too complex to go into
3. Create diversion to a 60-page PDF

Bottom line is you can't answer the question because you don't want to admit they're safe in France and queuing in Calais as economic migrants.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
How would we know? Each person is likely to have their own reasons. Perhaps friends/family are already here.

Here is a study on the subject.

http://www.refugeecouncil.org.uk/assets/0001/5702/rcchance.pdf
Ive had a look , it certainly doesn't tell us a lot specifically relating to the jungle , to be frank , the objects of the study are likely to tell people what they want to hear anyway , how many asylum seekers are likely to end up near you in north wales ? I'll tell you none or hardly any at all , when it's YOU or YOUR children who can't get social housing but asylum seekers can, when it's YOUR kids who are in a school class where 60% of children speak English as a second language , when YOUR local health authority is struggling with the extra pressure from asylum seekers , when it's YOUR local doctor who can't give you an appointment I might listen to you, but it won't be will it, it will be poor people in London and other cities who will be competing for already scant resources with the new arrivals and you'll be just another hypocrite who never has his convictions tested but sits there congratulating himself on how compassionate and inclusive he is.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
There's likely to be a mutlitude or reasons, as you know. You also know that nobody can give you specific answers to your questions, which you will take as your win here.
The main answers will be the ones you don't want to acknowledge as the truth, the black economy, the benefits and the unlikely event of deportation .

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here