Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

R.I.P. The Jungle

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
But they were children and only there for a few days being checked out before being dispersed into foster care or the older ones into rooms like being in university halls.
Children, on there own, from the jungle and open to all sorts of abuse and only a few, not thousands.
I find it hard to believe that anyone could think like that bloke, let alone say it and on TV
Very sad indeed in my opinion, they are kids for gods sake.
You find it hard to think anyone could think like that because you're out of touch with mainstream opinion.

carlzeiss

May 19, 2009
Amazonia
I'm hesitant to call it a downside because I don't think helping fellow human beings is necessarily an act that has a downside but there would obviously be strain on resources etc. but I don't think that means we shouldn't try and accommodate some, not all, of these people.

What riles me up is the assumption, and I'm not pointing the finger at you here; more at a section of our populace, that these people are criminals / rapists / terrorists / all around bad hombres (to quote The Great Orange) and that we should turn them all away indiscriminately. There are some undesirables, there always is, and they exist within the native population as well. It doesn't make us all bad and it doesn't make all the inhabitants of the Jungle bad either. And again I appreciate that most of the people in favour of restricted or an outright ban on immigration are in favour of it because of space / resource worries and not because of assumed criminality.

Immigration is a cornerstone of the foundation of this country, and many others. Were it not for immigration I wouldn't be here, nor would my mother, my girlfriend, at least six of my friends, many colleagues.

As an aside, apologies if I came across as rude or condescending with my posts yesterday. It was unintentional.

Appreciate that , if it wasn't for Hitler , I wouldn't have been born myself .

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
I saw it at 6 and he is only saying what so many others would not have the balls to say, its true we cant look after our own.....and are they 'Children'

But the reason 'we can't look after our own,' is nothing to do with migration. We are the 5th richest nation in the world. If the will was there from the people we'd vote a Government in that did 'look after our our own.' Do you genuinely think if there was no migration to this country, all of a sudden poverty would disappear? Wake up.

If you don't want them here, fine, I get it. But cut the faux "care for the poor" stuff, it's complete rubbish.

Last edited:

carlzeiss

May 19, 2009
Amazonia
Of those migrants who crossed the Mediterranean this year, Eritreans formed the third-largest national group, behind Syrians and Afghanis. The UNHCR says 5,000 leave every month.

It is a big issue for sure . As far as I can see there are 2 options . You either allow them to settle in the European country of their choice or return them .

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
But the reason 'we can't look after our own,' is nothing to do with migration. We are the 5th richest nation in the world. If the will was there from the people we'd vote a Government in that did 'look after our our own.' Do you genuinely think if there was no migration to this country, all of a sudden poverty would disappear? Wake up.

If you don't want them here, fine, I get it. But cut the faux "care for the poor" stuff, it's complete rubbish.

Exactly. They either inherently don't like foreigners or are naive enough to believe what the Mail and right wing politicians tell them. Either way, it's White British upper class elitists that keep poverty alive in this country not refugees.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
You find it hard to think anyone could think like that because you're out of touch with mainstream opinion.

You missed my whole point, you are getting all fizzed up about immigration per se of which I have concerns as well, I was only talking about 200 kids taken away from the jungle having been on their own and open to all sorts of abuse.
Then that moron on the news came out with that vile crap.
If people can't find it in their heart to not see that it is a good thing then I take great pity on them.
They were only being assessed and health checked before being moved to different parts of the country.
Anyone would think we openly just let in 20000 illegal Somalians.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006

This is just political mumbo jumbo, we have probably some of the most generous financial support for our own displaced children yet still require more care, more facilites and staff which might make their own lives a little easier.

At what point do you take resources from them and give them to other migrants and when is your own threshold met, we all know there are millions of children throughout the world blighted by war, famine and disease, at what level do you put a migrant in France whatever their age ahead of say other displaced children from say Africa, India, Syria ?

What is your limit and how do you possibly choose before saying 'no sorry', unfettered movement of peoples cannot be the answer its simply unsustainable and inherently unfair.

Last edited:

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
This country has done it's part over and over again. We where dealing with migration long before it became an issue in all these other European countries.

Really? I'm fairly sure Germany and France have been dealing with large scale migration for a while.

Surrey_Albion

Jan 17, 2011
Horley
I bet the people of Calais are pleased, nobody should have to put up or live with that on their doorstep. These people can try to get the UK if they like, but hopefully it is going to become a whole lot harder now. I have no problems with us taking children, but we shouldn't take adults who are using the ongoing crisis to get a free ride to the UK, not unless they are 100% genuine.

Not sure why it will be easier to say "No" we had the same rights when we were in Europe to say no and we didn't and don't think we will now either

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Really have you seen the actual figures over the last 6 years?

I've just checked. Last year 28 countries had more registered refugees. In 2014 27 countries had more. In 2013 it was 20.

We were 59th in the list of refugees per 1000 inhabitants in mid-2015.

This is according to UNHCR data via wiki - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_refugee_population

There is some more info here if you want some 'actual figures'. http://ec.europa.eu/eurostat/statistics-explained/index.php/Asylum_statistics

carlzeiss

May 19, 2009
Amazonia
Sweden has certainly taken their fair share of migrants and is enjoying the benefits of cultural enrichment .

[yt]sdGPPLmR5Bc[/YT]

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
I would be much happier taking women and genuine child refugees, lest we end up like this.

Seven of the nine ISIS jihadis who launched a series of coordinated terrorist attacks in Paris last November entered Europe by posing as refugees.
The attackers were part of a group of 14 who plotted their way into Western Europe by riding the wave of the migrant crisis last year, according to Hungarian security officials.
By using fake Syrian passports, many of the attackers, already on European terror watch-lists, were able to slip back into Europe undetected, along with thousands of other refugees.
http://www.foreigndesknews.com/lisas-desk/majority-paris-attackers-entered-europe-posing-refugees/

daveybgtt

May 12, 2010
North Sompting
Why can't we build them some nice houses on the south downs, it's not doing anyone any good is it? all trees and nature and sh*t!

I think we need to stop being so utterly selfish and open up our green and pleasant land to all comers, it's what Jesus would advocate after all, and this is a christian country.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
Why can't we build them some nice houses on the south downs, it's not doing anyone any good is it? all trees and nature and sh*t!

I think we need to stop being so utterly selfish and open up our green and pleasant land to all comers, it's what Jesus would advocate after all, and this is a christian country.

:lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here