R.I.P. Binge

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Grapes of Wrath

Nov 1, 2009
Worthing
It is with great sadness that I have to announce that Martyn "Binge" Ives from Worthing died on Tuesday the 22nd March aged 51. Another victim of the Big C.

Binge and I first started following the Albion back when we around 13, and in doing so have travelled the length and breadth of the country together over the years, and I have many great memories of the games we attended together, and a few choice stories to tell his lad sometime.

He was really looking forward to Falmer, and on one of the last times I spoke to him he was really excited and was hoping that he would be able to attend at least the first game, which sadly he won't be doing now.

Fortunately, he has brought his son Christopher up well, and he needed little persuasion to become an Albion fan also. Since Binge has been unable to go to games of late, Christopher now goes over with his mates and I smile to myself when I see him, all ginger like his dad with the same passion for the club.

I'm not sure if Christopher will be going to the Swindon match this Saturday, but if he does and you see a 14/15 year old tall skinny ginger lad who is looking a bit sad, maybe you will understand why!

Rest in peace Binge my old mate. We always said that we would walk up Wembley Way together to see the Albion, and we did that in 1983. Sadly we wont be doing the same at Falmer, but I will be thinking of you along with the many others that we all know, who didn't quite make it:cry:

Bulldog

Sep 25, 2010
RIP Binge, what a shame, great guy.

I haven't seen him for a few years now but knew him well in the past. He was a Downview boy back then and came on a few Clifton coach trips back in the day.

51, and he never got to see Falmer, no justice in life, but I have happy memories of Binge and i can only offer my deepest sympathies to his family.

Telboy

Who Are You
Jul 6, 2003
WSU
Known Binge all his life. What a great bloke he was. Have been to many a game and had many a pint with him, he was The Albion through and through. The playoff weekend in Cardiff springs to mind!!

Sadly he is another who will not be at Falmer in body but I know he will be there in spirit through Christopher.

He and the others who will not be there in body will also be in my thoughts on that first day at Falmer.

RIP mate.

highway61

Jun 30, 2009
RIP Mate. Sad news and my thoughts are with those close to you

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
RIP Binge
another one looking on from above at the first Falmer match

Bombardier

NSC Patron
Jul 22, 2004
Hove actually
My condolences. Did not know him but at 51 I am not many years off that and it makes me think. Shame he went so early and another Brighton die hard who won't get to make it to Falmer. As a previous poster said, I will be thinking of others (Martyn Blyth) on the opening day.

BRIGHTON TILL WE DIE, eh?RIP to you Binge.

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
I don't recall the name but there's a fair chance our paths crossed over the years. So sad to be so near and yet so far.

All the best to young Chris. So many on here will tell you of Albion times with their dads were such special moments.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
All the best to young Chris. So many on here will tell you of Albion times with their dads were such special moments.

As a fan who only ever went to 2 games with my dad, I can tell you that it was very special, even though it was not my dads passion at all. But Chris, trust me, the other side of the coin is just as true, days at the football with your son are some of the best days out there are.

RIP. Another who will never see a game at Falmer, so sad.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Do you think the club are/will be doing anything before the opening game, with regard to supporters who have passed away since we left the Goldstone?

I know there is the mosaic thing, and I'm not sure a minute's silence is the right thing on such a day, but if there was a page in the programme with the names of those who sadly never made it, that would be nice.

Do you think the club are/will be doing anything before the opening game, with regard to supporters who have passed away since we left the Goldstone?

I know there is the mosaic thing, and I'm not sure a minute's silence is the right thing on such a day, but if there was a page in the programme with the names of those who sadly never made it, that would be nice.

As there will be scoreboard/screens inside the ground, a rolling news strip with names of those whom people would like remembered going along.

Something like this.....
images

cyanide-sid

May 20, 2010
Worthing
RIP Binge, what a shame, great guy.

I haven't seen him for a few years now but knew him well in the past. He was a Downview boy back then and came on a few Clifton coach trips back in the day.

51, and he never got to see Falmer, no justice in life, but I have happy memories of Binge and i can only offer my deepest sympathies to his family.

RIP Binge. Knew him from the above as well.The Clifton coaches were something else. Shit 51 is no age is it.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
RIP Binge. Knew him from the above as well.The Clifton coaches were something else. Shit 51 is no age is it.
Our paths may have crossed as well as I think the Clifton coaches also used to pick up at the Crabtree in Lancing? Will Pavey was a name I remember from those days. But yes, regardless 51 is no age as you say. RIP fella.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
One less for Falmer today. Sad news.

KNC

Sep 3, 2003
Seven Dials
As there will be scoreboard/screens inside the ground, a rolling news strip with names of those whom people would like remembered going along.

Something like this.....
images

Like this. This should be possible, just the names of those who have missed the day. Requested by families and friends.

Grapes of Wrath

Nov 1, 2009
Worthing
Have been to many a game and had many a pint with him, he was The Albion through and through. The playoff weekend in Cardiff springs to mind!!

That would be the same Binge that his lad Chris and I had to put to bed early doors at our hotel in Cardiff, as he managed to get drunk as 2 skunks after the match. Happy days!:lolol:

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Funeral details. 12.20 on Tuesday 5th April at Worthing Crematorium. Family flowers only but donations in Martyn's memory can be sent to St Barnabas House c/o Ian Hart Funeral Service 92-94 Broadwater Street West, Worthing, BN14 9DE.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports