Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Quick question: what is the plural of 'go'?

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Well, I was making a point about plural v singular but yes, the tenses should agree too. I suppose my wrong example should have read 'were' arrested.

But if the example were "If 20 supporters were involved in a fight, how come only one were arrested", I think that would be correct because the conditional would take a subjunctive. Complicated business English grammar, innit?

Yup- I was just being pedantic. That new sentence does not sound right - sounds better with "was arrested", but that does not necessarily make it correct. English grammar really is a bit bonkers.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Gwylan;5479760But if the example were "If 20 supporters were involved in a fight said:
I'm fairly sure that's not right. The subjunctive can be used for second conditional sentences (If I were you, I'd do it) but it would be in the 'if' clause. It can also be used after 'wish', 'if only' or 'suppose' (I wish I were a millionaire).

Last edited:

Yup- I was just being pedantic. That new sentence does not sound right - sounds better with "was arrested", but that does not necessarily make it correct. English grammar really is a bit bonkers.
It doesn't sound right because it isn't right. The first "were" is a subjunctive. The second "were" shouldn't be. It should be the plain and simple "was".

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
One in four, refers to an average of a group. What about 25%?

Both plural, I feel.

You feel wrong. One is always a singular. 25 percent of kids are illiterate would be plural.

I'm fairly sure that's not right. The subjunctive can be used for second conditional sentences (If I were you, I'd do it) but it would be in the 'if' clause. It can also be used after 'wish', 'if only' or 'suppose' (I wish I were a millionaire).

I did say "I think", I wasn't sure. However, in this case, it is the second clause of the sentence. I really don't know the answer to this one - I need a real grammar hound.

It sounds wrong because it was meant to be wrong. As I said, I was using an example to show how applying the plural form of a verb to a singular subject sounds wrong.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
But surely everyone should know that nouns have plurals and verbs don't? This isn't really grammar - it's just the meaning of words.
A lot of people have no idea what a noun or verb is. Do you not watch much crap TV Lord B? Our country is full of idiots.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
You feel wrong. One is always a singular. 25 percent of kids are illiterate would be plural.

The Guardian produced a little guide to the English language and this is their take on it.

AowNkLcCEAAJ6bJ.jpg:large

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here