Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Quick question on summer tournaments, for those involved in running kids football clubs...

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Just to humour you Nibble, he hasn't even mentioned the money, nor has he 'expected me to ask on his behalf'. I'm merely curious, as I don't like to see people taken advantage of.

Perhaps if you actually read what people write, it would help?

Oh I read it. If more kids did stuff without the bribe of being paid we may have more tolerable children.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Speaking as someone heavily involved in youth football, I would say that I think you aren't appreciative of how the game is run at grassroots level.

There is a massive shortage of referees in this country...mostly because people don't want to have to put up with the stick that they get given by people who are living in the past with their mentality to football.

So, how would you propose we get young men and women into the game to referee the 500+ matches every sunday morning in the winter?

Having refereed matches voluntarily, I can tell you it's a bloody horrible job sometimes and there are certain places you go to which are a nightmare....I didn't get involved in youth football to be verbally abused at every opportunity!

Uhm, you tell them that's what they are doing this Sunday. Simple.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Speaking as someone heavily involved in youth football, I would say that I think you aren't appreciative of how the game is run at grassroots level.

There is a massive shortage of referees in this country...mostly because people don't want to have to put up with the stick that they get given by people who are living in the past with their mentality to football.

So, how would you propose we get young men and women into the game to referee the 500+ matches every sunday morning in the winter?

Having refereed matches voluntarily, I can tell you it's a bloody horrible job sometimes and there are certain places you go to which are a nightmare....I didn't get involved in youth football to be verbally abused at every opportunity!

Indeed. He's given up four days of his half term holiday to do the course, which cost £85. And many more hours watching the videos and learning for the exam. Then spent another £50 on kit. It all shows a level of commitment, that Nibble isn't quite grasping, tbh.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Indeed. He's given up four days of his half term holiday to do the course, which cost £85. And many more hours watching the videos and learning for the exam. Then spent another £50 on kit. It all shows a level of commitment, that Nibble isn't quite grasping, tbh.

If he's that commited why ask for money. Or is it a case of the old pushy parent?

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
Quick question on summer tournaments, for those involved in running kids footba

Uhm, you tell them that's what they are doing this Sunday. Simple.

Ok mate :thumbsup:

I'll recommend that to the County FA...

Let me know when you want to submit your refereeing application to Lancing...Obviously, you don't have a choice in that.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
I'm not sure how just asking people here for some info, construes 'being a knob', but just in case for once, you're not just fishing, how about "because if they didn't, they'd have no tournament, and no means to raise the money they need to fund their club"?

Anyway, his age, other than to explain why I personally was asking the question, isn't especially relevant. There were 8 refs there, including 5 adults. All were paid the same.

I understand your point, but ultimately it seems there was all round agreement on the rate offered and accepted by the refs.

I would of expected free refreshment and food from their caterers too.

Perhaps there was a benevolent mentality when hiring the refs, you know the sort that themselves had given up all of their time for nothing and subconsciously felt that those refs should too and when not challenged assumed a good job done.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Ok mate :thumbsup:

I'll recommend that to the County FA...

Let me know when you want to submit your refereeing application to Lancing...Obviously, you don't have a choice in that.

I give up. No wonder we have a nation of wimp children if the average parenting attitude on here is any indication of the state of the nation.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Perhaps there was a benevolent mentality when hiring the refs, you know the sort that themselves had given up all of their time for nothing and subconsciously felt that those refs should too and when not challenged assumed a good job done.

Probably this I expect.

Just a thought, if they'd paid him anymore due to the long hours would they have been breaking Child Employment Laws?

I'm sure that 14 year olds are not allowed to work that long in one go.

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
I give up. No wonder we have a nation of wimp children if the average parenting attitude on here is any indication of the state of the nation.

So you aren't willing to put your money where your mouth is then? come on...this is nothing to do with how people bring up their kids (which incidentally is nothing to do with you), this is about YOU volunteering to become a referee...In fact, if anyone is willing to put in £20 with me and we will pay for you to take your refereeing course.

Put up or shut up.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
One thing is for certain, regardless of my previous point about it no doubt being a good experience so hopefully not a total waste of time: the way to encourage young people to want to be regular referees is probably not to take advantage of them.

In this instance the lad has a very supportive dad, willing to help him get to and from the tournament etc. Picture one who does not. You then have a 14, 15 or 16 year old who wants to become a regular referee having to find and, more importantly, fund his own way to the tournament, spend an entire day working, and probably not actually end up getting any significant back from it. People don't become referees at a local youth level as an alternative to a job. They don't, in most cases, expect a shed load of cash. But a proportionate payment to the time they put in would be far more welcome.

Add in the fact that a lot of young refs get as much abuse as the older ones when reffing kids games and suddenly you can understand why there isn't much motivation to put down the X-Box controller and go out in all weathers.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
So you aren't willing to put your money where your mouth is then? come on...this is nothing to do with how people bring up their kids (which incidentally is nothing to do with you), this is about YOU volunteering to become a referee...In fact, if anyone is willing to put in £20 with me and we will pay for you to take your refereeing course.

Put up or shut up.

Keep your Alan's on Dorothy. There were plenty of things I was made to do as a kid that I didn't expect payment for. Scoring for the local cricket team, Rugby linesman, pitch maintenance etc. To use your rather aggressive parlance, I've already put up Son, so now you can shut up.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
So Nibble's not only Islamophobic, he appears to be pro child labour.

Whataguy.

Not being into a religion that condones the oppression and murder of it's own people is not anti-Islamic. Thinking that children shouldn't expect payment for every helpful thing they do is not pro-child labour. If you think that's trolling then so b

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I see all the requests from Sussex FA for these kind of things - seems to be between £25-£40, including food and drink all day.

Sounds like a nightmare so I never bother, but probably reasonable experience for a lad.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Keep your Alan's on Dorothy. There were plenty of things I was made to do as a kid that I didn't expect payment for. Scoring for the local cricket team, Rugby linesman, pitch maintenance etc. To use your rather aggressive parlance, I've already put up Son, so now you can shut up.

But surely they were for clubs you were involved with? I cannot believe that you were simply dispatched down to the local rugby club of an afternoon to work on the pitch without some sort of connection, i.e. played for youth team or had a relative involved somewhere.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
But surely they were for clubs you were involved with? I cannot believe that you were simply dispatched down to the local rugby club of an afternoon to work on the pitch without some sort of connection, i.e. played for youth team or had a relative involved somewhere.

Indeed I was just sent to do it. Kids used to do that.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Indeed I was just sent to do it. Kids used to do that.

Fair play then. So, of an afternoon in the summer, you were just told to go and score for the local cricket team or help with the rugby club pitch without ANY connection to any of the clubs you were helping?

Didn't they think it was a bit weird some kid who didn't know anyone there or having any interest just turning up to score?

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Fair play then. So, of an afternoon in the summer, you were just told to go and score for the local cricket team or help with the rugby club pitch without ANY connection to any of the clubs you were helping?

Didn't they think it was a bit weird some kid who didn't know anyone there or having any interest just turning up to score?

They asked local kids to do it. My parents thought it would do me good so they sent me. Too hard a concept for today's Me Me Me generation to grasp?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here