Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] Quick cricket quiz for you

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Some people have managed to successfully google the answer - I tried, but obviously didn't get my search parameters right. As I've already taken part, I was asking another person who has already competed - and successfully googled the answer - to give me as link. Wouldn't ruin the quiz; obviously it would mean people who wanted to cheat can look up the answer, but equally obviously some are more adept at googling than I, which must 'spoil' the quiz as much as a link.

I tried to pm it to you but your NSC account doesn't accept them

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Well done ... you sure you didn't?:smile:

For the record, the next two in the list were Botham and Larwood
Honest - although I did have a sneaky look afterwards and felt terribly smug.
:cute:

Hobbs, Hammond and Compton were obvious. I couldn't understand why Hutton wasn't mentioned by anyone, and once Rhodes was eliminated Barnes was a shoe-in.

There is also the all time England XI selection which must include at least two spinners, two pace bowlers, an all rounder, a wicket keeper, and a minimum of three left handed batsmen - some can be more than one category.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
There is also the all time England XI selection which must include at least two spinners, two pace bowlers, an all rounder, a wicket keeper, and a minimum of three left handed batsmen - some can be more than one category.

I thought that could be done by using the 15 England players mentioned in the player of the century list, but it's a bit shy of left-handers - there's only one there

Hobbs
Hutton
Ranji
Compton
Woolley
Hammond
Botham
Rhodes
Tate
Evans
Larwood

But there are few who could be added: Gower, Cook, Mead to bulk up the lefties

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Honest - although I did have a sneaky look afterwards and felt terribly smug.
:cute:

Hobbs, Hammond and Compton were obvious. I couldn't understand why Hutton wasn't mentioned by anyone, and once Rhodes was eliminated Barnes was a shoe-in.

For me- since 1970

Boycott
Cook
Gower
Root
Thorpe
Botham
Knott
Swann
Underwood
Anderson
Willis

Needs deeper thought. A bit restricted by the three left hander instruction.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010

Wisden 2000 100 100 finds it. Further words 5 cricketers of century
Interesting point made is that the list is a personal choice and players from pre 1930 were unlikely to have been watched. All good millennium fun though.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Ok....one to get you going....decent England teams, surnames beginning with the same letter....I'll start off with ' B '

Boycott
Brearley ( Capt )
Barrington
Butcher
Bartlett
Botham
Bairstow ( Wk )
Bailey
Batty
Bedser
Barnes

Umps
Bird
Buller

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Nice posting. Without looking at any other replies or any stats I'll go for
Hobbs, Hutton, Botham, Laker, Truman (please god, not bloody Boycott).

Now I'll check out the 'right' answers.

PS But we all know that the best were actually Suttle, Snow, Graves, Parker and the legend that was Mike Buss!

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Nice line-up. I'd go for Gooch rather than Boycs, Pieterson rather than Thorpe and Snowy (assuming he'd be up for it) rather than the miserable bugger Willis. Tony Grieg always gets overlooked (I think) in these sorts of exercises but his stats bear up pretty well, he bowled fast-medium and spin and was a good slip fielder - and a fighter. But not good enough to get into the all-time greats, I guess. Sorry -this was in response to Brighton Lines' listing..

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Nice posting. Without looking at any other replies or any stats I'll go for
Hobbs, Hutton, Botham, Laker, Truman (please god, not bloody Boycott).

Now I'll check out the 'right' answers.

PS But we all know that the best were actually Suttle, Snow, Graves, Parker and the legend that was Mike Buss!

I disagree.....the real class acts were Terry Racionzer, Jerry Morley, Jerry Groome, Simon Hoadley, Tim Booth-Jones, John Denman and Tim Head.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Nice line-up. I'd go for Gooch rather than Boycs, Pieterson rather than Thorpe and Snowy (assuming he'd be up for it) rather than the miserable bugger Willis. Tony Grieg always gets overlooked (I think) in these sorts of exercises but his stats bear up pretty well, he bowled fast-medium and spin and was a good slip fielder - and a fighter. But not good enough to get into the all-time greats, I guess. Sorry -this was in response to Brighton Lines' listing..

What line up are you on?

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

I thought of Gooch (Mainly on the second part of his career after the South Africa tour). Thorpe was in under the left hander rule. I'm not a Pieterson fan because of the team ethics debate. But that's another long thread,

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Ok....one to get you going....decent England teams, surnames beginning with the same letter....I'll start off with ' B '

Boycott
Brearley ( Capt )
Barrington
Butcher
Bartlett
Botham
Bairstow ( Wk )
Bailey
Batty
Bedser
Barnes

Umps
Bird
Buller

Good team that

Luckhurst
Lloyd D
Larkins
Lewis
Leyland
Lohmann
Lilley
Larwood
Lock
Laker
Lever

Bit light on batting but that's a fearsome bowling attack

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
I disagree.....the real class acts were Terry Racionzer, Jerry Morley, Jerry Groome, Simon Hoadley, Tim Booth-Jones, John Denman and Tim Head.

Giles Cheatle and Austin Parsons will be deeply offended to not be included in either of those lists.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here