Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Quick Break Next Week

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
Krakow in Poland is beautiful and the old Jewish quarter is lovely to wander around. Cheap compared to lots of other city breaks too. temperatures in mid 20s next week too.
That was going to be my suggestion. Being part Polish, I’m biased but I would definitely recommend Krakov.

Close enough for a day out in the Mountains (Tatras ) about 1 1/2 hours by car (or there is a direct coach) to Zakopane and then plenty of trams up the mountains - a visit to Moski Ono is a must - direct tram up from the ski slope tram station in Zakopane (you could stay overnight in Zakopane - loads of cheap hostels and hotels)

Krakov is close to Auschwitz (an hour‘s drive or bus from Krakov) (if you can stand the visit.) Beautiful cathedral. A short 10 min bus ride from the City centre to the amazing Wolski forest for walks - forest also has a Krakov’s famous large zoo. Relatively cheap and plenty of bars/restaurants.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Hop on the ferry in Newhaven without a car and spend a couple of nights in Dieppe which most people drive straight through heading elsewhere. You have none of the hassle at airports and can do day trips on the train from Dieppe.

Do this approximately once a year and love it though we take the car. Mad to do a foreign trip and return home having put only 50 miles on the car.

Bansko Seagull

Bansko Seagull
May 6, 2009
Worthing, West Sussex
Of those already mentioned in this thread, I’d heartily second Vienna, Krakow and especially Stockholm.

Also - we visited a load of European cities, inter-railing last spring. favourite amongst those were Budapest (extremely photogenic, if you’re into that) and Köln (fabulous vibe - loved this place).
Second all of these but we are currently in Dubrovnik which is a beautiful place to visit and very easy to get to. Croatian people are also very friendly.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Do this approximately once a year and love it though we take the car. Mad to do a foreign trip and return home having put only 50 miles on the car.
…..and umpteen bottles of plonk in the boot!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
So many places to recommend. If you want a rest, then I’d say you need sunshine and good restaurants and bars. South of France!

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
That was going to be my suggestion. Being part Polish, I’m biased but I would definitely recommend Krakov.

Close enough for a day out in the Mountains (Tatras ) about 1 1/2 hours by car (or there is a direct coach) to Zakopane and then plenty of trams up the mountains - a visit to Moski Ono is a must - direct tram up from the ski slope tram station in Zakopane (you could stay overnight in Zakopane - loads of cheap hostels and hotels)

Krakov is close to Auschwitz (an hour‘s drive or bus from Krakov) (if you can stand the visit.) Beautiful cathedral. A short 10 min bus ride from the City centre to the amazing Wolski forest for walks - forest also has a Krakov’s famous large zoo. Relatively cheap and plenty of bars/restaurants.
Well if you haven't sold Krakov to the OP, you have certainly sold it to me!

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
Budapest. Amazing people, wonderful beers, great food and plenty to see.
The architecture is stunning (fisherman's bastion is beautiful), a few museums and we did a tour of a nuclear bunker which was good fun. One of my favourite places.
Plenty to see in Rome and Prague too. Athens is nice but very small.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
You do surprise me, Berlin hasn't been mentioned even once.
Fair point. If you're into specific things then Berlin is brilliant, and it is certainly a very easy and 'free' city to live in, otherwise I'd suggest going elsewhere.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here