Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Quick Break Next Week

Hornblower

Jul 7, 2003
As no one else has mentioned it, Gdańsk. A truly historic beautiful city with a lovely riverfront of bars and restaurants. Great Museums, the largest castle in the world and lovely sandy beaches at Sopot. Dirt cheap and the people are lovely. Only problem is that you have to fly from Luton or Stanstead.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
I mean, I could argue those fall under environment or ease of walking, but fair enough.
So logically, does that mean that there is a serious risk of getting mugged or run over in Porto? :lolol:
Portugal is officially the third safest country in the world, so no. The point I was making was that they considered all those factors in reaching a decision rather than just measuring the pavements and inclines.

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
The point I was making was that they considered all those factors in reaching a decision rather than just measuring the pavements and inclines.
Yeah sure, but otherwise bloody King's Lynn would win every year.
Portugal is officially the third safest country in the world, so no.
Again, I'm fascinated by this. Officially according to who?
To be clear, I've never been to Portugal, I've absolutely nothing against the place, but that sounds ridiculous. Where came first and second?

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
Yeah sure, but otherwise bloody King's Lynn would win every year.

Again, I'm fascinated by this. Officially according to who?
To be clear, I've never been to Portugal, I've absolutely nothing against the place, but that sounds ridiculous. Where came first and second?
Down to 6th this year
Profiles of the World's 10 Safest Countries
  1. Iceland. According to the Global Peace Index, Iceland is the safest country in the world for the 14th year in a row. ...
  2. New Zealand. New Zealand is the second-safest country in the world. ...
  3. Ireland. ...
  4. Denmark. ...
  5. Austria. ...
  6. Portugal. ...
  7. Slovenia. ...
  8. Czech Republic.

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
Down to 6th this year
Profiles of the World's 10 Safest Countries
  1. Iceland. According to the Global Peace Index, Iceland is the safest country in the world for the 14th year in a row. ...
  2. New Zealand. New Zealand is the second-safest country in the world. ...
  3. Ireland. ...
  4. Denmark. ...
  5. Austria. ...
  6. Portugal. ...
  7. Slovenia. ...
  8. Czech Republic.
I don't think those rankings mean much in the context of wondering around a touristy area when you've had a few.

Which, to be fair, they admit in both the New Zealand and Ireland profiles.

New Zealand:
"Theft is still worth guarding against, especially in tourist areas (which holds true in every country in the world)"

Ireland:
"Crime is quite low outside of a few city neighborhoods (as in any country, one should be wary of pickpockets and scammers in tourist-dense areas)"

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Push the boat out with one of these each day. Saving the hassle of airports.

IMG_2120.png

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Valencia is lovely. Much much nicer than Barcelona or Madrid. Laid back, the people are lovely and by all accounts so much less tourist crime.
Lots of wonderful eateries and bars. I thoroughly recommend it.
I've always thought of Valencia as a bit of a rubbish Barcelona but with a much better beach.

Anyway - I'd recommend Seville or the beautiful Palma de Mallorca with a day trip up to Deià.

1716330524188.png

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here