Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Question Time - official thread

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
If the PM then stated he wanted an open and democratic debate on that issue and then completely undermined that debate by saying I would
never press the button that PM should consider resigning for stupidity/incompetence reasons.

that.

he's probably got a few similar dilemmas to face, EU for one (though seeing Darling in the out camp there might be a more broad support to leave in the cabinet).

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
he's probably got a few similar dilemmas to face, EU for one (though seeing Darling in the out camp there might be a more broad support to leave in the cabinet).

I thought the man of consistently held principles had reversed his Anti EU opinions and the Labour party was broadly pro EU, campaigning for a staying in under all circumstances. But as you say their are numerous dilemmas/splits likely to appear in the coming months.

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
It was far more interesting watching Nigel Farage bashing the French and Germans in the EU parliament and their cosy stitch up rule of all things Europe.

Leyton Gull

Banned
Sep 14, 2015
John Piennaar the Political Correspondent on Radio 5 Live seems to enjoy joining in with the Labour bashing but seems to want to defend the Tories when the boot's on the other foot. I've noticed it over the last few years. Initially I wondered if it was just my imagination but over time I think it is actually a fair observation and he's starting to get on my nerves.
For example, tonight he suggested that JC might have to stand down over the nuclear defence issue. Should for example the Swedish PM resign?

I mean he suggested JC might have to consider standing down some time in the future.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
John Piennaar the Political Correspondent on Radio 5 Live seems to enjoy joining in with the Labour bashing but seems to want to defend the Tories when the boot's on the other foot. I've noticed it over the last few years. Initially I wondered if it was just my imagination but over time I think it is actually a fair observation and he's starting to get on my nerves.
For example, tonight he suggested that JC might have to stand down over the nuclear defence issue. Should for example the Swedish PM resign?

I heard Piennaar interviewing Boris Johnson about 18 months ago and it sounded like they were old school friends catching up. Ed Milliband came on directly after and was subjected to a frightful grilling. I can't help but notice it since.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Five minutes in........loaded audience.

I didn't watch it but the audience tends to be reflective of where the program is being held, Leicester is a Labour stronghold (they have all 3 seats.), which I'm guessing is what you are getting at. It's in Dover next week, so they'll be plenty frothing at the mouth anti-immigration rhetoric for everyone to get their teeth into.

Leyton Gull

Banned
Sep 14, 2015
I thought the man of consistently held principles had reversed his Anti EU opinions and the Labour party was broadly pro EU, campaigning for a staying in under all circumstances. But as you say their are numerous dilemmas/splits likely to appear in the coming months.

Shock horror! A party leader being generally anti Europe but being prepared to work with fellow member who think we should stay in Europe. Who'd a thunk it? it would never happen in John Piennaar's Tory party would it?

Leyton Gull

Banned
Sep 14, 2015
I heard Piennaar interviewing Boris Johnson about 18 months ago and it sounded like they were old school friends catching up. Ed Milliband came on directly after and was subjected to a frightful grilling. I can't help but notice it since.

I can imagine. Boris is his hero and bullet proof as far as he is concerned. Internal Tory differences add to the colour of politics whereas internal Labour differences are a major threat to their future according to this 'independent' correspondent.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Shock horror! A party leader being generally anti Europe but being prepared to work with fellow member who think we should stay in Europe. Who'd a thunk it? it would never happen in John Piennaar's Tory party would it?

John Pienaar used to be political editor for the Guardian so unlikely to be a Tory lover. I think it's more likely the percieved bias you detect is more to do with your position on the political spectrum . There is much better reason to dislike him he is apparently an avid supporter of CPFC !

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
I didn't watch it but the audience tends to be reflective of where the program is being held, Leicester is a Labour stronghold (they have all 3 seats.), which I'm guessing is what you are getting at. It's in Dover next week, so they'll be plenty frothing at the mouth anti-immigration rhetoric for everyone to get their teeth into.

The BBC claims to carefully select a balanced cross section which doesn't match up with what I have seen over the years. Of course it could be true that those of a more left wing persuasion are more gobby/vocal depending on your point of view. One of the most shameful programmes I ever saw was QT after 9/11 where certain members of the audience seemed to be suggesting the USA had it coming, disgraceful.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
The BBC claims to carefully select a balanced cross section which doesn't match up with what I have seen over the years. Of course it could be true that those of a more left wing persuasion are more gobby/vocal depending on your point of view. One of the most shameful programmes I ever saw was QT after 9/11 where certain members of the audience seemed to be suggesting the USA had it coming, disgraceful.

That's where you are mistaken. Anything at election time, has to be 'balanced,' otherwise it reflects the demographics of the area concerned. Now you could argue that this is advantageous to Labour as the left tend to live in cities and there's not much point in having Question Time live from Firle.

Yeah, I remember that. It was far too soon... but that was not an uncommon sentiment I encountered at the time and one that has only increased with time.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
That's where you are mistaken. Anything at election time, has to be 'balanced,' otherwise it reflects the demographics of the area concerned. Now you could argue that this is advantageous to Labour as the left tend to live in cities and there's not much point in having Question Time live from Firle.

Yeah, I remember that. It was far too soon... but that was not an uncommon sentiment I encountered at the time and one that has only increased with time.

'How does Question Time select its audiences?

The short answer is: with great care.

People apply through a phone number given on the programme or via the website.

They are then questioned about their views, voting intentions, background etc, in much the same way as an opinion poll.

From that, the producers select a broad and balanced cross-section.

If, from those applying in a particular area, they feel any group or view is under-represented, they will - occasionally - contact local groups to encourage their members to apply to be in the audience.'

http://news.bbc.co.uk/newswatch/ukfs/hi/newsid_4200000/newsid_4202800/4202877.stm

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
'How does Question Time select its audiences?

The short answer is: with great care.

People apply through a phone number given on the programme or via the website.

They are then questioned about their views, voting intentions, background etc, in much the same way as an opinion poll.

From that, the producers select a broad and balanced cross-section.

If, from those applying in a particular area, they feel any group or view is under-represented, they will - occasionally - contact local groups to encourage their members to apply to be in the audience.'

http://news.bbc.co.uk/newswatch/ukfs/hi/newsid_4200000/newsid_4202800/4202877.stm

Fair enough. This must be quite tough to do. Compare a Liverpool audience to a Dover audience and the difference is clear, I thought that was one of the good things that local politics played a part.

EDIT: TBF it doesn't actually say what it is providing a broad and balanced cross section of.... local, regional, national???

Last edited:

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton

Called this one. 1/2 the show on Europe and 1/2 the show on immigration.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here