[Politics] Question Time In Brighton: 14th November 2019

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004

This kind of reporting is really lazy, rock up to a Brexit stronghold in the middle of the week pop down the local market and try and find someone to air a misconception about Brexit. Not sure it really adds much to the debate and this constant promotion of extreme views from both sides is one of the key contributors to why no middle ground will ever be found.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
This kind of reporting is really lazy, rock up to a Brexit stronghold in the middle of the week pop down the local market and try and find someone to air a misconception about Brexit. Not sure it really adds much to the debate and this constant promotion of extreme views from both sides is one of the key contributors to why no middle ground will ever be found.

And yet we're constantly told that people knew what they were voting for.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
And yet we're constantly told that people knew what they were voting for.

Indeed.

Brexit voters HATE being reminded of all the people they are aligned with. All the ones they like to pretend didn't exist.

At least the thick Northern racists are honest.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
And you are a grade A **** for stinking your big ginger nose where it isn’t welcome, several days later [emoji2357].

1. direct personal abuse is unnecessary and will see you banned.

2. 'stinking my nose'?

3. Gingerist

4. You are debating* a political point on an internet messageboard. People don't need to be invited to add their input. That isn't how it works.

*well he is - you're refusing to, as you clearly have nothing to back up your argument.

5. less than one day later, if that really matters?

Carry on.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
1. direct personal abuse is unnecessary and will see you banned.

2. 'stinking my nose'?

3. Gingerist

4. You are debating* a political point on an internet messageboard. People don't need to be invited to add their input. That isn't how it works.

*well he is - you're refusing to, as you clearly have nothing to back up your argument.

5. less than one day later, if that really matters?

Carry on.

“See me banned” Oh for heavens sake get a grip you child!

You want to actually listen to yourself, you consistently stick your beak in other peoples perfectly civil discussions with your own brand of snideness, clearly forgetting you are responsible for maintaining a degree of decorum on this message board.

Go ahead and ban me if it makes you feel all grown up and important.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
Indeed.

Brexit voters HATE being reminded of all the people they are aligned with. All the ones they like to pretend didn't exist.

At least the thick Northern racists are honest.

Come on if they wanted to they could easily find remain voters who don’t even know who the elected officials of the EU are.

It’s lazy journalism whichever side of the fence you sit on and adds nothing to the debate.

Guess what there will also be truck loads of people voting for parties in the election with only a limited understanding of their manifestos

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I do miss the away days at Oakwell, it was always a source of cultural enrichment...

Indeed. I remember an away day up there in the early 90s, around about the time of the celery craze. First of all we stopped off in Wombwell for a drink. Bad mistake as Wombwell is kind of like Outer Barnsley for Mad People. We found a local pub for local people and were chased by some ex miners. Deciding it was probably best to go to the ground early we then got on the terrace to find Krispies waving a large marrow in the air whilst singing "On Ilkely Moor B'hat 'At". Plod soon arrived (sooner than they did in Wombwell). "Can ya give us t'marrow lad?". Can't remember the score to this day but the pre match entertainment will go with me to my grave.

Lindfield by the Pond

Jan 10, 2009
Lindfield (near the pond)
All these arguments about leaving will result in lower environmental standards, employment rights etc, seem to forget that that will be down to us. If we don’t like it, we can change the government? That’s the whole point.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
All these arguments about leaving will result in lower environmental standards, employment rights etc, seem to forget that that will be down to us. If we don’t like it, we can change the government? That’s the whole point.

I'm not convinced your argument holds up.

The EU only sets MINIMUM standards. Our government (now - within the EU) is already fully at liberty to exceed them. Who do you trust to protect your rights, most?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
“See me banned” Oh for heavens sake get a grip you child!

You want to actually listen to yourself, you consistently stick your beak in other peoples perfectly civil discussions with your own brand of snideness, clearly forgetting you are responsible for maintaining a degree of decorum on this message board.

Go ahead and ban me if it makes you feel all grown up and important.

I'd not ban you. I'm a soft touch - I never ban anyone. Twice in ten years or something. You'd have to be a proper arse. It was a general point that posting personal abuse will not be tolerated.

But seriously - you're posting in a political thread, on an internet message board. If you want a private discussion with one person, send them a text. You've stated an opinion here, and offered nothing to back it up. Three people have called you up on it, and you've ignored two of them, and got upset at me.

Whilst I'm flattered that my opinion is clearly very important to you, I'd suggest you relax a bit.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
I do miss the away days at Oakwell, it was always a source of cultural enrichment...

I was at uni/college in Wakefield in the late 80s and a few of us decided to go an see Barnsley v Sheff Utd in the FA Cup (I think).

We were mainly all from London and the South. I remember when the home fans struct up with 'We've got no niggers in our team.' We knew we were in different country then.

Sadly, this man shows that little has changed.

We are charting dangerous waters my friends. The games of Johnson and Farage have given the hard right the permission they need to come out of the woodwork. Our grandads and grandmothers who fought against the black shirts and Nazis would be turning in their graves. Then again, had times been different Moseley's scum might have won the day back in the 30s. Thank god they did not. Let's hope their cockroach offspring of Oswald don't get to be victorious in the 2030s.

Dangerous times my friends. It could happen again.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
....and there in one post, neatly packaged, is why most leavers will not change their minds. Condescending remain attitudes, blithely labelling all leavers as ignorant idiots...... that's why they dont care if they had a reason in the first place or not, they have simply hardened their position and wont be swayed by middle class abuse and snowflakery.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Yes, there is that.

People have to remember the universal truth that it is a lot easier to fool someone, than to persuade someone that they have been fooled.

That is across the board, and not just relevant to a Brexit vote.

It cannot be solved really.

Shutting down the input of malign foreign actors delivered into Antisocial Media news feeds would be a start, but virtually no one seems interested in doing that.

We are lost until we do.

Last edited:

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
I'm not convinced your argument holds up.

The EU only sets MINIMUM standards. Our government (now - within the EU) is already fully at liberty to exceed them. Who do you trust to protect your rights, most?

I trust the EU more than a Conservative Government - They virtually dragged successive UK Governments, including Tony Blair's Labour Government kicking and screaming into ''Modernity'' in terms of Equal Rights Legislation in both the Workplace and in Society generally over the last 20 years. Some will say they would have done it anyway and perhaps they would have done but it would have been at a much slower pace.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
I'd not ban you. I'm a soft touch - I never ban anyone. Twice in ten years or something. You'd have to be a proper arse. It was a general point that posting personal abuse will not be tolerated.

But seriously - you're posting in a political thread, on an internet message board. If you want a private discussion with one person, send them a text. You've stated an opinion here, and offered nothing to back it up. Three people have called you up on it, and you've ignored two of them, and got upset at me.

Whilst I'm flattered that my opinion is clearly very important to you, I'd suggest you relax a bit.

Standard company line response, your snide comment bought nothing to this thread, and I’ll remind you again, your a ****ing Moderator, start acting like one!

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Standard company line response, your snide comment bought nothing to this thread, and I’ll remind you again, your a ****ing Moderator, start acting like one!

He is.

What's snide about pointing out you can't back up your argument? Because you can't.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports