Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Question for the train people of NSC ~ Gatwick Express!!

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
442? How old-fashioned. No wonder they keep breaking down. Get some 4231s or 4123s.

Would look great but not really suitable for the Gatwick Express :lolol:

csx4123.jpg

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
I do like a good ''Anorak Alert'' post as I know its aimed at me :bigwave:

What I have never understood NP is that SWT dumped the 442's for the newer 'Desiros' then Southern swap the newer 'Junipers' with SWT for their old 442 rolling stock so they refurb them and stick an older train on the Gatwick Express.

Whats that all about then? :shrug:

The Department for Transport generally dictate where everything goes. They sent the old Gatwick Express trains to SWT so that they could lengthen them. SWT didnt need the 442s after their new trains arrived ages ago so were put into storage, but they were needed for the Gatwick Express so were moved to Southern.

Have heard that another Class 377 (the newer Southern trains) order has been put in which would replace them, theres another 3 or so big orders of them made too, so the old trains are on the way out.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
The Department for Transport generally dictate where everything goes. They sent the old Gatwick Express trains to SWT so that they could lengthen them. SWT didnt need the 442s after their new trains arrived ages ago so were put into storage, but they were needed for the Gatwick Express so were moved to Southern.

Have heard that another Class 377 (the newer Southern trains) order has been put in which would replace them, theres another 3 or so big orders of them made too, so the old trains are on the way out.

Yes, Southern have ordered 29 more 377/6 and 377/7 from Bombadier with an option on 35 more as cover for the delayed Class 700's from Siemens, but didn't know they were intending on using them on the Gatwick Express.

Any idea when they might take over the service?

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
Yes, Southern have ordered 29 more 377/6 and 377/7 from Bombadier with an option on 35 more as cover for the delayed Class 700's from Siemens, but didn't know they were intending on using them on the Gatwick Express.

They way that Bombardier take ? Might be ready in 2075 if your lucky. The /6 are arriving and some are actually in service now. The further order has a couple of batches of /7s.

Southern will get all of the FCC 377 trains as well, so that might get rid of the old Coastway trains out of Brighton. All depends when this Thameslink order goes through.

T soprano

Oct 27, 2011
Posh end of Shoreham

Hi BLADDERS:bigwave: just wanted to say hello

JTR938

Nov 24, 2012

I have no idea what all these differant train numbers are, had to use the power of google. The "700" looks pretty swish!
When are the current GE train intending to be replaced??

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
They way that Bombardier take ? Might be ready in 2075 if your lucky. The /6 are arriving and some are actually in service now. The further order has a couple of batches of /7s.

Southern will get all of the FCC 377 trains as well, so that might get rid of the old Coastway trains out of Brighton. All depends when this Thameslink order goes through.

I think the DfT have signed but it's been delayed two years iirc.

First Great Western are getting FCC grubby 319's :lolol:

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
I'm just happy they come all the way through to Brighton now. Not that long ago they just trolled up and down the line between Gatwick and Victoria. Still the most comfortable train on the Brighton line by far.

Im afraid I will have to disagree. The most uncomfortable by far. The head rests are too high. Your back is almost like having a curtain pole shoved up against it and then the ****ers break down ALL THE TIME. They are in short a DISGRACE. Even more DISGRACEFUL is that these unreliable pieces of SHIT are still allowed on the tracks.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
It fails, believe me.

The traction equipment and base of the trains are over 40 years old - should be replaced soon.

London Transport used to do the same with the buses when they went in for an overhaul , the chassis would be retained but the bodywork was replaced or swapped around and with a new lick of paint they looked newer than what they were.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Im afraid I will have to disagree. The most uncomfortable by far. The head rests are too high. Your back is almost like having a curtain pole shoved up against it and then the ****ers break down ALL THE TIME. They are in short a DISGRACE. Even more DISGRACEFUL is that these unreliable pieces of SHIT are still allowed on the tracks.

You mean you actually get the chance to SIT DOWN????, How lucky are you?. Be grateful you don't have to stand!

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
I've been commuting to London Bridge on the Gatwick Express rolling stock since April and not once have they broken down or been shortened. I'm very happy to use them because they are so much more comfortable than other trains.

*touch wood*

I was on a GE yesterday, after we were thrown off our Southern train at Haywards Heath, and they are luxury compared to our normal Southern train. Didn't stop at E. Croydon either, which is nice.

JTR938

Nov 24, 2012
You mean you actually get the chance to SIT DOWN????, How lucky are you?. Be grateful you don't have to stand!

This is a big benefit with GE, but you certainly pay for it!
New trains = Less repair bills = proper running trains = happy customers! simples

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

I've been commuting for 9 years now. I've only once had to stand between Brighton and London and only had to stand half a dozen times going back (and never back to Brighton, generally can sit down at Gatwick. I think Brighton commuters have it lucky as it never fil, it's the poor saps from mid-Sussex who get it bad.
I was on a GE yesterday, after we were thrown off our Southern train at Haywards Heath, and they are luxury compared to our normal Southern train. Didn't stop at E. Croydon either, which is nice.

I had to get off at HH yesterday too. Must say that GE are easily top of the comfort stakes: Southern and FCC are like cattle trucks - it's just GE's reliability that's an issue

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
I had to get off at HH yesterday too.

Were you on the 4 coaches that came up from Brighton to join our 8 ? If so, what a shambles.

"I'm sorry, this train is being cancelled, please get off here. There is a train for London Bridge on the opposite platform, though" - Didn't mention, they're not going to open the doors to let us out to get the other train, or hold the other train for 2 mins to allow us to get there. Oh, no, we stand trying to get out of our train while the other one pulls out. I can accept things go wrong, but it's how they deal with them that matters, and as usual, it was awful.

Pinkie Brown

I'll look after the skirt
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR
Who remembers these beauties around the Southern Region? Oak Paneling and luxury soft cushions, unlike the rock hard seats of the electrostar stock of todays railway. Remember riding them as a young lad many times. Probably taken out of service in the early 70's?

2BIL.JPG

Last edited:

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
im afraid i will have to disagree. The most uncomfortable by far. The head rests are too high. Your back is almost like having a curtain pole shoved up against it and then the ****ers break down all the time. They are in short a disgrace. Even more disgraceful is that these unreliable pieces of shit are still allowed on the tracks.

this!!!!

Weatherman

Jun 10, 2008
This is a big benefit with GE, but you certainly pay for it!
New trains = Less repair bills = proper running trains = happy customers! simples

I don't think the fare on the G Ex stock is any different to the rest of the Southern services from / to Brighton / Eastbourne as these services are run by Southern. The expresses running from Gatwick - Vic do cost more.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest

I actually try and AVOID these trains wherever physically possible.

The 7.33 to London Bridge is now one of satans trains so I get an earlier one it used to be the green/white "normal" ones. Now its Thameslink/FCC(!) just so I dont have to sit uncomfortably for the journey. Introducing these carriages just compounded the fact that it is ALWAYS late getting into LB, when you add the lateness to taking another ten mins getting off the ****ers with their single door at each end....thats if the ****ing doors open.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here