Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Question for the older posters on this board

Fazz62

Aug 27, 2008
Have just been watching The Big Match Revisited from 1978 on cable and noticed a load of toilet rolls had been thrown on to the pitch.
Do fellow posters know why fans do this? Is it to hit an opossing player or be like a streamer?
Any Old Boys on the board know the answer to this or even be willing to own up to having (allegedly) thrown one on the pitch? also did you bring your own bog rolls to the game or knick them from the bogs at the ground and what was the best make of bog roll for range and accurecy?

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
Definitely the streamer effect

The best type of bog-roll to use was the one you used to get in public bogs or from trains.

Smooth on one side and like sandpaper on the other. It was like wiping your arse either with greaseproof paper or with gravel. It was tough stuff - hence the perfect use as matchday streamers.

*confession alert*

I ended up in court in 1973 (after the Nottingham Forest game) after a train-related bogroll and lightbulb theft incident.

*edit* as LB states - IZAL

Fazz62

Aug 27, 2008

The best type of bog-roll to use was the one you used to get in public bogs or from trains.

Smooth on one side and like sandpaper on the other. It was like wiping your arse either with greaseproof paper or with gravel. It was tough stuff - hence the perfect use as matchday streamers.

*confession alert*

I ended up in court in 1973 (after the Nottingham Forest game) after a train-related bogroll and lightbulb theft incident.

*edit* as LB states - IZAL

LB/Hiney

Izal. Think that is the stuff my grandma used to have. was smelly and slippery. wouldnt think it would be much use for chucking on the pitch due to it being so slippery. especially if aim and range are important!!

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
But it was TOUGH, which enabled you to throw it quite aggresively, safe in the knowledge that it would unravel smoothly, rather than disintegrate as you threw it.

It was also quite heavy, so if you were lucky enough to hit someone before it had fully unravelled, it would hurt.

:thumbsup:

Lady Bracknell

Handbag at Dawn
Jul 5, 2003
The Metropolis
Ahhhh. Izal. We have a roll of the stuff in our downstairs lavvy. Purely to add a touch of retro style and strictly not for bottoms. Or for Lord B to take anywhere near Withdean in order to demonstrate the rightness of what he (and Hiney) said.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
I remember going to Brentford with some mates, sometime around 1993. There was a thing where if Brentford scored, there would be a chant of "chomp, chomp, chomp, chomp, chomp, chomp, CHOMP!" and with the last one, fans would throw loads of cadbury's 10p chomp bars onto the pitch. No-one knew how it started but the sweetshop round the corner was flogging them by the boxload.

(That was also the game where I saw the best header ever; they have an upstairs stand and the ball got hoofed over the bar; a bloke in the upstairs seats leapt up and headed the ball back straight over the keeper and almost into the centre circle.)

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
I will admit to lobbing the odd bog roll or 2 from the terraces of the South stand at the Goldstone. I was posh though, I used to take blue Andrex from home.

But Daveinprague got it right - the celery was much more fun

All together now

celery, celery........

Poyet Laureate

Nov 17, 2009
I remember that there was a time when I was a littl'un when there was a bog roll shortage - some strike or other. One of the newspapers carried a cartoon showing a goalie diving to catch the loo rolls and ignoring the ball. It must have made a big impression as it must have been 30+ years ago and I still remember it.

Screaming J

He'll put a spell on you
Jul 13, 2004
Exiled from the South Country
Have just been watching The Big Match Revisited from 1978 on cable and noticed a load of toilet rolls had been thrown on to the pitch.

I reckon bog rolls were going out of fashion as a football related accessory by 1978 so whoever did that was feeling a bit retro.

More 1960s and early 1970s for the heyday of Izal chucking I'd day.

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing

People on the London train from Worthing must have had a difficult time after we got to Hove - there would be no bogroll anywhere for the rest of the journey.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
The bog roll we had a school was like tracing paper, not nice on the crack

Izal came in flat packs with individual leaves, a bit like tissues today, so was totally useless for throwing.

Mind you, we were too poor to buy Izal. I used to use the squares of newspapers off the nail in the outside privvy

Cheeky Chappie

Sep 27, 2007
The optimum bog roll throw would leave several feet of paper hanging from the top of the North stand goal net.
I remember that there were a few attempts at an Argentina style ticker tape welcome once in a while. Not quite as impressive as a capacity crowd in Buenos Aires....

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
The perfect throw was to go over the cross bar and have it trail across the netting. looked good and would annoy the opposition keeper as well.

Talking of oppo keepers anyone remember Charlie Wright ?

Played for Charlton and Bolton amongst others and spent half the game having a bit of banter with the crowd. Great character.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here