Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Question for the Apple fraternity

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
It's amazing isn't it...

But apparently I've heard their stock loss through theft is absolutely monstrous. I guess it's a fair trade-off for having a shop rammed full of people all day every day.
The stores make huge losses, they are basically a very expensive interactive advertisements, people go in and try the products, then go and buy them online.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
The stores make huge losses, they are basically a very expensive interactive advertisements, people go in and try the products, then go and buy them online.

Are you sure?

A retail report in the US had Apple Retail Stores as the highest sales receipts per sq ft in the US, doubling Tiffany's sales per sq ft which was in 2nd place.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
I went into the Apple store in covent garden last year to buy my daugher an iphone cover, was ignored by members of staff even when I was waiting at the till as they were too busy messing around on laptops/ipads etc, I even asked for help but was told to wait a few minutes, the store wasnt even that busy - after 15 minutes I walked out - it was probably the worst case of customer service in a store I have ever come across. I would even go as far to say I would rather shop in PC World than an Apple store.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I went into the Apple store in covent garden last year to buy my daugher an iphone cover, was ignored by members of staff even when I was waiting at the till as they were too busy messing around on laptops/ipads etc, I even asked for help but was told to wait a few minutes, the store wasnt even that busy - I walked out in the end - it was probably the worst case of customer service in a store I have ever come across. I would even go as far to say I would rather shop in PC World than an Apple store.

I've had that same experience in every PC World I've ever been in!

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
Are you sure?

A retail report in the US had Apple Retail Stores as the highest sales receipts per sq ft in the US, doubling Tiffany's sales per sq ft which was in 2nd place.

Just what I was told by someone who used to work there, he said the huge amount of people they employ in each shop and the costs of rent for their prestigious locations outweighs their sales. But yeah, I'm not sure :p

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

A bit like a lot of places these days, then?

A sign at the Holmbush Tesco (which is having a refit) made me laugh the other day. "To minimise your disruption, why not shop online at tesco.com" it said (or words to that effect). I wonder how many people will do so, and realise that shopping online is SO much easier than going up there?

Kinda makes the refit a bit redundant if fewer people are going to pass through the doors, less often :moo:

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Slightly O/T, but I was told that Harrods employs people from modelling agencies, as opposed to those that have any retail experience.

lola

Jul 28, 2014
Finland
They are all same! I broke class and screen for my samsung note2 and send that for service (420km away) 1 week later they called and asked would I pay 460€ for that service? Nope I will not pay that money for service. They say if I personally deliver that phone it would cost only 180€ but by post it is 460€ (and by the way I pay post for that delivery) what the F*** That was official samsung service! Next time I bye copy from china (200€) and if it fall apart I just bye another! ( sorry my English is bit rusty )

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
Slightly O/T, but I was told that Harrods employs people from modelling agencies, as opposed to those that have any retail experience.

Hollister and Abercrombie do that for sure. They basically want good looking brand ambassadors working there so get around the problem of being openly discriminatory by employing models not retail staff..

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
They are all same! I broke class and screen for my samsung note2 and send that for service (420km away) 1 week later they called and asked would I pay 460€ for that service? Nope I will not pay that money for service. They say if I personally deliver that phone it would cost only 180€ but by post it is 460€ (and by the way I pay post for that delivery) what the F*** That was official samsung service! Next time I bye copy from china (200€) and if it fall apart I just bye another! ( sorry my English is bit rusty )

They're not all the same. Samsung aren't even in the same league of customer service as Apple. (or product design, but we'll save that debate for another time :))
I smashed my iPhone screen, went into the Apple store, they had no screens in stock so offered to replace my 6 month old phone with a brand new one for the same cost.

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
The guys in the Southampton Apple store are next to useless. Pretty much EVERY time I've been in there, it's needed at least 2 people to answer my query.

They are service GODS however, compared to the utter PLEBS that wok in PC World. They take crap service to a whole new level. If you are lucky enough to actually make eye contact with one of them and persuade them to talk to you, their lack of knowledge and basic customer service is absolutely unbelievable.

We have recently bought a new camera, a new fridge freezer and I'm about to buy a new TV and PC - PC World can **** right off.

And relax

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
They are service GODS however, compared to the utter PLEBS that wok in PC World

Sounds like you were stuck between a wok & a hard place.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
The guys in the Southampton Apple store are next to useless. Pretty much EVERY time I've been in there, it's needed at least 2 people to answer my query.

They are service GODS however, compared to the utter PLEBS that wok in PC World. They take crap service to a whole new level. If you are lucky enough to actually make eye contact with one of them and persuade them to talk to you, their lack of knowledge and basic customer service is absolutely unbelievable.

We have recently bought a new camera, a new fridge freezer and I'm about to buy a new TV and PC - PC World can **** right off.

And relax

Are udon?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here