Question for Ski/Snowboarders Holidays

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Noldi

Sep 5, 2010
Horsham
For Skiing you have to have your own boots that is quite important. I would also own my own clothing plus the most important piece of kit a helmet. If you are only going once a year it is not worth the hassle of having your own skis, with grinding waxing and setting the bindings plus the better skis when you hire.

Noldi

Rowdey

Jul 7, 2003
Herne Hill
After yet another 1/2 day wasted waiting for the hire shop to open, i took the plunge and bought the lot some years ago.

Also let me buy this big bad boy, which most hire shops didn't have:

http://tinyurl.com/5r5lgp5

Burton Cartels in black, decent googles, wrist protectors, and off you go.

Last edited:

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
It's nice to have your own boots as they tend to be the most personal bit of equipment, although if you're a beginner then you'll probably be best hiring these as well as boots for beginners are much more flexible.

As for a helmet, it's not an essential bit of kit but is compulsory for kids.

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I always used to have all my own gear, but no longer have my own skis as they're too much hassle (and mine were embarrassingly long).

I would always recommend you have your own boots and eye protection, but other than that, the hire stuff is usually good, especially early season.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Own skis and boots, but as others have said, boots are the most important.

I hired everything on my first trip, bought my own boots for the second and my own skis for the third.

superseagulls

Feb 2, 2009
so on a first time can I hire literally EVERYTHING?, or would you recommend getting thermals, boots etc? end of the day we may not even like it so could potentially be a waste of cash.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I snowboard and have all my own equipment. If I were to suggest owning one thing it would be boots. Second, box fresh White cotton t-shirt and cool shades for après, third skis or board.

so on a first time can I hire literally EVERYTHING?, or would you recommend getting thermals, boots etc? end of the day we may not even like it so could potentially be a waste of cash.

Buy your own thermals, don't think you can hire them anyway, Millets have them on special offer at the moment. As it's your first time don't buy boots Skis or board as you might not enjoy Skiing/boarding

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Buy your own thermals, don't think you can hire them anyway, Millets have them on special offer at the moment. As it's your first time don't buy boots Skis or board as you might not enjoy Skiing/boarding

Fair comment, but I find it hard to believe anyone could NOT like skiing or snowboarding.

wehatepalace

Limbs
Apr 27, 2004
Pease Pottage
Boots and ski not worth the hastle of owning if you only go once a year. A decent shop will have decent skis and boots for hire. just back from a week in Avoriaz. Good fast skiing but left The Wall alone. BAN SNOWBOARDING.
I skied the wall last year, highlight of my holiday-perched on the edge and over you go !

the_swiss_wall.jpg

Last edited:

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
I board and i own my own boots! no way did i want to rent boots, so went for a pair of burton boots on recomendation from friends. then own my own jacket ski pants thermals gloves etc! i found gloves key when i first learnt as i fell over alot your gloves come into contact with the snow so they began to leek so invested in some decent gloves. the only thing i would hire is a board.

tubaman

Nov 2, 2009
I used to own my own skis and boots but now hire them because if you hire the better quality equipment it is new, contemporary equipment.

folkestonesgull

Oct 8, 2006
folkestone
i own my own boots and helmet, as well as clothes....always hire skis, get the top of the range ones prebooked from somewhere like snowrental.net at a discounted price in advance. I started boarding last year and the hire equipment was great.
I don't think its worth owning your own skis unless you go 3 times a year...hiring means this years skis all waxed and serviced. I would hire boots too unless i knew i had problems with discomfort etc - they are heavy to lug around otherwise.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
When you go on a sking or snowboarding holiday, what equipment do you own and what equipment do you hire?

For a start you can only be one or the other. Snowboarding is for people who like to accept second best. :salute:

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Never Listen to Ski Numpties, its alot more fun on a board, iv tried both, Skiing is brilliant, but boarding is so much more fun and the tang LOVE it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports