Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Question for regular H/P/R/S bus users ?

Will you pay the £75/£.4.75 for the new bus ?

• Yes

Votes: 2 5.1%
  • No

Votes: 37 94.9%

• Total voters

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
I just can't justify spending an extra £75 on top of the £530 (or whatever West Upper now works out as over a season of direct debit) so no, I won't be using it.

Judging by the poll you won't be the only one, seems this is going to end up a complete f**k up with hardly anyone going to use the new service. Barber needs to have a serious reconsider about this

BHseagull

Aug 5, 2008
Brighton
First I've heard of it as I've been away. Pissed off about it as I assume you'll have to select a set time to leave every game if u get a season ticket. Will await further info but this annoys me. It's my only way in from woodingdean other than walking, which I am considering.

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
What is it with you people?. Whilst admitting that the Club have goofed in their handling of the situation, whats's wrong with taking two public buses to the Amex, changing in the city centre?, you can stiill travel for FREE that way!. ok so it will add a bit of time to your journey, but so what!. Honestly some people don't just want butter on their bread, they want jam too.

What at ten pm with two kids in tow?

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
I like this idea. Would you charge by the kilo? What about loyalty cards?

I can't find my original post on this but my suggestion was something like 2.50 for a poo in the gents, 1.50 for a slash, 2 quid flat fee for ladies (whichever exit hole they're utilising). Then for a flat annual fee you could sign up for Golden Stream membership, which would allow you to jump the queue.

Apr 1, 2007
Saltdean
Yeah, but l guess they have to try and address this 8.5 million shortfall somehow, and by charging this is one of the ways they are going to try to do it. It just means people will have to fork out, or travel free by public bus. No real hardship surely?

Are you Mr Pitman of Camberwell ?

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
How many of the regular users knew about the bus when they purchased their first AMEX ST ???

I think we all did as the transport issue was a big part of the planning agreement.
And I can remember it was a voucher system that didnt work and pensioners were allowed to use their bus passes.
Season two everybody had £30 transport levy put onto the price of the ticket.
This season we were told that did not cover the costs and it had to be increased to £50.
They had where the special buses would start from published long before the first games. So yes I am sure we all knew.

Can someone please answer this nagging question of mine.
As we no longer have the specials as part of our £50 and so many are going to use the longer free bus or train routes, Does any one know if these transport bosses are laying on extra capacity or is it just going to be a big fight over the same amount of places from the last two seasons?

Last edited:

Can someone please answer this nagging question of mine.
As we no longer have the specials as part of our £50 and so many are going to use the longer free bus or train routes, Does any one know if these transport bosses are laying on extra capacity or is it just going to be a big fight over the same amount of places from the last two seasons?
As a transport professional, my answer to this question is as follows:-

As far as the Special Buses are concerned ... Increasing the perceived / point-of-sale price of a journey from zero to £75 per year or £4.75 per day is bound to reduce demand for these services. Introducing a requirement to pre-book a seat is also going to reduce demand from people who prefer a turn-up-and-go service (although there are those who might be attracted by the security of a guaranteed seat). Conclusion ... there will be more unused seats on the Special Buses next season than last season.

As for the mainstream network services ... as there will be no additional fares income coming to the operators from any passengers who transfer to the scheduled services, there is no incentive to increase the number of seats that are available. Services currently run at less than full capacity for much of the 'peak' period of demand. The sensible (and cheapest) thing for an operator to do is, therefore, to rely on some users to make adjustments to travel times, probably by travelling slightly earlier pre-match and slightly later post-match. This could take several weeks to settle down, especially if the number of 'new' network passengers is large. Numbers may not be as large as feared, if some people decide no longer to attend matches, or opt to travel by car / bike / walk, etc.

The simple answer to the question posed is, therefore, NO.

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
As a transport professional, my answer to this question is as follows:-

As far as the Special Buses are concerned ... Increasing the perceived / point-of-sale price of a journey from zero to £75 per year or £4.75 per day is bound to reduce demand for these services. Introducing a requirement to pre-book a seat is also going to reduce demand from people who prefer a turn-up-and-go service (although there are those who might be attracted by the security of a guaranteed seat). Conclusion ... there will be more unused seats on the Special Buses next season than last season.

As for the mainstream network services ... as there will be no additional fares income coming to the operators from any passengers who transfer to the scheduled services, there is no incentive to increase the number of seats that are available. Services currently run at less than full capacity for much of the 'peak' period of demand. The sensible (and cheapest) thing for an operator to do is, therefore, to rely on some users to make adjustments to travel times, probably by travelling slightly earlier pre-match and slightly later post-match. This could take several weeks to settle down, especially if the number of 'new' network passengers is large. Numbers may not be as large as feared, if some people decide no longer to attend matches, or opt to travel by car / bike / walk, etc.

The simple answer to the question posed is, therefore, NO.
Thanks LB, so it could be fun times ahead waiting for these services if this small percnetage poll is carried across the whole of the fans affected by these changes.
I also feel the park and ride uptake could go through the roof.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Judging by the poll you won't be the only one, seems this is going to end up a complete f**k up with hardly anyone going to use the new service. Barber needs to have a serious reconsider about this

No one books it. The don't run it at all and say that there was 'no demand'. Quids in via saved costs. Barber win.

Rogero

Aug 4, 2010
Shoreham
I already use the Seagull Travel service from Shoreham and have just paid £125 for next season. You JCL s are getting it very cheap. Be prepared for a big rise next year.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here