Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Question for gamblers

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'm doing the same but relegated out of every tournament.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I was working for Lads Coral at the time (it was them who offered 5000/1) and those punters were getting weekly calls offering enhanced cash outs. Quite a few stuck it out but the fella we had the biggest liability with did eventually cash his chips in.

Don't think your high street bookmakers would have priced it up either. They don't know who is going to be in it yet as the qualification isn't done.
What was the biggest liability? Surely nobody lumped more than about £10?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Luton/palace win double currently at 21/1.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
What was the biggest liability? Surely nobody lumped more than about £10?
Pretty sure the chap had £100. He was a Leicester season ticket holder and had said it had ruined his enjoyment of going to games as he was stressed about not just winning the league but missing out on a big pay day. I can understand that to be honest there were many games towards the end of last season I didn't enjoy for large parts (Arsenal away I vividly recall wanting to go home as soon as we went 1 up) and I had no financial gain.

I can't recall what he eventually settled on, it was a nice chunk though.

Cash out is the bookmakers friend.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Pretty sure the chap had £100. He was a Leicester season ticket holder and had said it had ruined his enjoyment of going to games as he was stressed about not just winning the league but missing out on a big pay day. I can understand that to be honest there were many games towards the end of last season I didn't enjoy for large parts (Arsenal away I vividly recall wanting to go home as soon as we went 1 up) and I had no financial gain.

I can't recall what he eventually settled on, it was a nice chunk though.

Cash out is the bookmakers friend.
I get that completely, there’s enough stress in a PL game without the worry of your potential £500k disappearing!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Luncacy:
noun
The state of placing a bet on Brighton to win 4 competitions.
:lolol: :lolol: :thumbsup:

I see it as akin to the time I went to Monte Carlo. I had about a tenner's worth of chips and stayed there until they were gone (about 10 minutes). Allowing for inflation, this will be a similar amount but I'll have skin in the game for far longer.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Haven't we already failed to win every competition we've entered after not winning that Summer Series thing in the US?

Dave Fishwick

Feb 28, 2021
London
They won't be able to accept that bet -

The reason being is those outcomes are ever so slightly related, a clause that bookies always use in their favour - should we be good enough to win the Premier League, the logic being is that we should be shorter odds to win any of the cup competitions, let alone all 4. And vice versa I suppose.

You would have to place this bet in a shop, and get the customer assistant to phone head office for you for special bespoke prices for all of the combinations, which I'm sure they would be happy to price for you no problem. But simply going in and writing on a slip the 4 competitions and their current singular prices may cause issues at time of pay out

Victor Chandler

Sep 2, 2014
Haywards Heath
They won't be able to accept that bet -

The reason being is those outcomes are ever so slightly related, a clause that bookies always use in their favour - should we be good enough to win the Premier League, the logic being is that we should be shorter odds to win any of the cup competitions, let alone all 4. And vice versa I suppose.

You would have to place this bet in a shop, and get the customer assistant to phone head office for you for special bespoke prices for all of the combinations, which I'm sure they would be happy to price for you no problem. But simply going in and writing on a slip the 4 competitions and their current singular prices may cause issues at time of pay out
Absolutely correct! Don’t place this bet!

As Dave Fishwick says this bet (At the advertised odds) would be invalid as there are what bookmakers call “related contingencies”. The counter staff in the betting shop are unlikely to be aware of this and could well accept the bet. However, when it comes to be settled, the settler would either not pay out at all or pay out a much smaller amount.

Even if the counter staff do contact a trader at Head Office to get you special odds (taking into account the related contingencies) then the odds you will be offered, bearing in mind the actual likelihood, will be shockingly low.

You are probably better off just placing small single wins on each of the competitions (Either in the shop or on line) at the advertised odds. Then in the event of winning at least one of the competitions there will be no arguments when it comes to settling up.

Need to hold off on the Europa League though – The 25/1 offered a week ago has all gone. Need to wait until more bookies price it up. I was hoping for some 33/1!.... https://www.oddschecker.com/football/europa-league/winner

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here