Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Question for fellow grammar pedants out there.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Okay... I've had time to think about it - and no matter what, I still come to the same conclusion.

Throughout my life and in my own experience, poor grammar (both speech, and written) has been an indicator of lower intelligence. Note - I said in general - and I did not say 'stupid'.

There are exceptions, and always will be - but I'm moderately sure that anyone in recruitment who sees job applications and CV's littered with poor grammar and/or spelling will not be thinking 'Potential M.D. material, right here..'

I am happy to be reasoned with, flamed, or chastised. Fill your boots.

As I may have mentioned, I have Boots, Boots, Boots, Boots, Marchingup and Downagain (that well-known firm of solicitors, bettered only in the overpriced stakes by messers Sue, Grabbit and Runne) on ignore.

Your reply is sufficient info for me to elaborate a response. Yes, yes, you are right.

Add to that, on interview (or first day of final year BSc experimental project) 30 minutes late, bad breath, dirty finger nails and, yes, that pungent tell-tale whiff of three day-old dried hand- shandy juice (don't ask, enough detail there already, I think) and you know you are on to a ****ing loser. :facepalm:

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
YAUTION-2018-1-pc-lot-grammar-Art-pendant-necklace-gift-gifts-her-or-him-up-artist.jpg

See, I have an official grammar police pendant. Only I'm not so well at it.

When referring to the grammar police, you must drop the "n" from pendant ....

D

Deleted member 2719

Okay... I've had time to think about it - and no matter what, I still come to the same conclusion.

Throughout my life and in my own experience, poor grammar (both speech, and written) has been an indicator of lower intelligence. Note - I said in general - and I did not say 'stupid'.

There are exceptions, and always will be - but I'm moderately sure that anyone in recruitment who sees job applications and CV's littered with poor grammar and/or spelling will not be thinking 'Potential M.D. material, right here..'

I am happy to be reasoned with, flamed, or chastised. Fill your boots.

Sorry but it's not a matter of filling my boots:

It's been proven time and time again, that at least 10 -15% of the UK have dyslexia.

The general public is very nieve to this they see it as stupid, it is not they think whole pictures, with creativity and are excellent problem solvers and great empathy.

Just an example where recruitment has got it so wrong, a huge percentage of dyslexics have been very successful and this is mainly credited down to their dyslexia, they are shit at grammar, spelling, reading. But excel in lots of other areas.

They are hugely adaptable and hard-working individuals, sometimes just to prove to their colleagues, teachers, and recruiters that you have to open your minds and that really is because the nondyslexic struggle to open their minds as a dyslexic can.

Did these guys make the grade? Not a school they didn't.

Lord Sugar
Anita Roddick
Richard Branson
Albert Einstien
Bill gates
Steve jobs
Henry Winkler
Steven Spielberg

I could go on.

But this is all down to a perception that poor grammar = low IQ it does not.

Dyslexic are just wired differently.

If you are into recruiting you really should think about how a dyslexic person, as the can rocket boost the company to infinity and beyond.

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
Do you actually read what I say - or do you scan read, fizzle with outrage, then attack your keyboard like Animal from the Muppet Show playing the drums? :wink:

I said 'in general'... I employed a dyslexic guy as a salesman. He was absolutely brilliant at sales, but I had to get someone in to do his paperwork (or do it for him) as he could barely write a sentence. He was with my company for 4 years and has remained a friend ever since, so I'm not exactly 'anti-dyslexic'.

What I am talking about are the general population who are either not intelligent enough, or are bright enough but don't have the personal standards required to spell and/or write properly. Then, you can generalise.

Of course, there are genuises (or genii, if you like) out there who can't be bothered to spell or write properly - but referring to my post, I'm generalising.

Just the same as if someone who was clearly intelligent came to give you some very important financial advice something wearing unironed, dirty clothes, with food down their chin, smelly, greasy hair and toes poking out of his shoes. Would you judge? Of course you bloody would...

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
Henry Winkler
...is a rather odd example to choose.

N.B. Bill Gates studied at Harvard - dropping out to start his business.

(edit: is there even any evidence that Gates or Jobs have/had dyslexia, other than a few we pages stating they look like they might?)

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here