Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Quality of our chances v West Ham

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
In xG terms, I'd guess about 1 in 10 of similar headers are actually scored.
9 in 9 of the remainder are followed by people saying "he should have buried that".
Can’t say I follow that stat ..just go by my own eyes and experience of watching for gawd knows how long ..but thanks for pointing that out ..maybe it’s all about expectations and the it’s importance at the time

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon...
I saw a couple of reports describing West Ham as "clincal"
Xg shows that really wasn't the case.
They scored from high xg chances and presented us with low xg chances.

Typical De zerbi ball vs low block.
If we fail to score first, it's going to be that way.

Happy to take the rough with the smooth,
sorry but it simply cannot be the case that we have to pray to score first and if we don’t then everything goes to pot. obviously i see your point, it will be challenging with our playing style to come from behind against low block teams, but we have to be finding solutions for that, and in no way was yesterday acceptable in terms of how open we were

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I thought Ferguson should have done better with his header before Gilmours strike which would have brought us level …..but then we’ve scored 8 in the previous two matches …and possibly created less
Problem with his header was the cross had no pace on it so he had to do too much work to get any pace on the ball.

RyFish

Dec 6, 2011
Ferguson's header was an excellent chance. He also created a fair chance for his shot on the turn with some fancy footwork. Gilmour's shot past the post was also a chance that could/should have been buried or, at least, on target. Veltman's volley was a difficult chance that required a good save. Were there any other good chances? The stats say 10 on target.
From memory his header when he headed out was 0.13xG, but where he headed it was 0.7xGOT, so was an excellent save by Areola

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here