Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Sussex] Quality of New Build Homes

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
My new build (now a few years old) house was no more expensive than comparable older houses nearby and, as above, the price has raised in line with other properties. It was a relatively small development by a large housebuilder.

The build quality is very good, it's soundproof, really well insulated (stayed cool last week; in the winter we get condensation on the OUTSIDE of windows) and very thoughfully/efficiently designed. The only snagging was blown plasterboard tapes in a few rooms (apparently a 'bad batch') which were quickly resolved without fuss over the first few months of ownership.

Do you keep getting agents round to value it?

In fairness, (with regard to the rest of your post), that's how it should be - I just hope it stays that way in time for you....

Normski1989

Apr 15, 2015
Hove
I bought a Taylor Wimpey new build in Shoreham in 2017 and had very few issues with it. Surprisingly, the soundproofing is excellent. Our neighbours both have dogs and babies and we never hear either.

That said, being a new build, it did come at a premium. But we're in the process of remortgaging, so it's just been devalued and has increased in line with the general market.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
Do you keep getting agents round to value it?

In fairness, (with regard to the rest of your post), that's how it should be - I just hope it stays that way in time for you....
I've had it for the best part of 10 years now, and still no problems.

I have had it valued recently, and am looking at other houses, so do know how prices have developed.

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
I have previously worked for a well known new build company. I can honestly tell you avoid new builds like the plague. Cheaply built with the emphasis on the look rather than quality. The only way i would buy a new build is if it was built by a well known local bespoke builder that you can go and review the build on a daily basis
Avoid the big building firms like the plague. You have been warned. Older style buildings from 1875 through to 1950's are generally the best quality builds.

Also remember if you buy a new build on a development you are paying about a 15-20% premium just because its new. Secondly very hard to make a good profit when you sell as they are likely to be lots of identical houses to yours on the development hence this has a negative effect on what you could have got on a more individual house in a ordinary street where u could add more value.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
My new build purchased in 2015 is now +15% as we purchased phase 1 without the infrastructure / school in.
That's good news. Another (major) issue is that for each development a new company is started, and as the development nears its end, the developers ditch the company so that they don't have to build all the infrastructure they agreed to. It's scandalous. If you bought somewhere and they completed all the infrastructure, you're a lucky fella.

I agree there is a premium however this has been cancelled out buying in an early stage of the development
How early did you have to buy, and how much deposit did you put down?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
My new build (now a few years old) house was no more expensive than comparable older houses nearby
That in itself is weird. People usually pay more for a new build, than an equivalent property. If built properly, you should have a nice, well insulated home. Why do you think they weren't wanting more money for your place?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Whilst I agree with you it's all about circumstances.
Of course. If you want to live in a specific location, and the only option is a new-build, then new-build it is.

Just a shame she wants to move out of sussex having lived here all my life :cry:
For god sake man, just say no!

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Depends on the build surely.
Not really. New builds are generally sold for more than an equivalent home which is not new (maybe about 10% more, I'm not sure). Schmunk says his wasn't more expensive, but that would be unusual, on average they are. Homes which are then 5 years old don't have that premium any more.

Now of course you might get a bargain for some reason (maybe a desperate developer needing to free up some cash), but then you get bargains with old homes too. The fact is, that on average, new homes don't go up in price as much as second hand homes.

Can see that true for the mass builds, but mine was built in 2015 and next door sold for 20% more end of 2018
Is that in Worthing? Average prices may have gone up by more than 20% in that time.

D

Deleted member 22389

I'm in southern Italy visiting family. Loads of empty homes around the villages here, starting prices €25,000. You can buy a nice big property here for about €70,000, but there isn't much work here. The wages reflect the cost of living. Obviously the closer you get to major towns and the coast, the prices do shoot up, but it's still cheaper than the UK by a mile.

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
That's good news. Another (major) issue is that for each development a new company is started, and as the development nears its end, the developers ditch the company so that they don't have to build all the infrastructure they agreed to. It's scandalous. If you bought somewhere and they completed all the infrastructure, you're a lucky fella.

How early did you have to buy, and how much deposit did you put down?

We are with a national builder and the their sub entity is regional and manages 200 sites and has been incorporated for some time (need the due diligence before we got in Involved.)

We brought one the first 50 (out of 2,000) and waited 18 months before the school was build, the food news is this has just received an outstanding ofsted report which adds value as well.

They wanted us to exchange after 28 days however pushed back (in view it wasn’t built) we exchanged within 3 months and put down 25% (75% mortgage)
We had to pay a £1,000 deposit to secure the plot (refunded on completion, or if the build over runs and you can walk away for free)

My advise is do not use their recommend solicitors or IFA as it’s a clear conflict of interest.
If they insist point them to the homebuyer code that they have to adhere to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
Moved into a new build just over a year ago. Luckily we haven't had any major problems and even the independent snagging guys didn't identify anything much. However our neighbours have had people in seemingly everyday and aren't so lucky.

The worst thing so far is the quality of the plasterboard walls; they seem to be made of flour and a small amount of water. Makes DIY jobs an absolute nightmare.

D

Deleted member 2719

I know someone that bought a new build about 750k and the snagging problems were endless.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Bloke 4 down from me is having a new build and local gossip is that he’s being billed £14 million. Not sure if he aptly used [MENTION=26444]Wrong Direction[/MENTION] but the plumbers drilled down 150’ to get his heating sorted out.

Looking forward to seeing the finished project but using something like 20cmx150cm bricks means another brick in the wall goes on for weeks.

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patron
Aug 7, 2003
Our house is 90 years old this year. Solid brick external and internal walls and a traditional pitched roof. Most rooms are dual aspect, all the bedrooms are doubles and we have a quarter acre plot. New houses are being built near us that look cheap and nasty, almost touching each other with postage stamp gardens but are in the same price range. Not a chance they’ll last 50 years let alone 90 years.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
If you speak with trades who've done some time working on new builds it's scary how poor the quality is - I wouldn't touch a new build with a barge pole.

I've worked on many poperties that are 10 years old or newer to correct issues with the build. Unbelieveable some of them. Truly shocking workmanship.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Slightly off topic has anyone seen the Grand Designs in Bicester. A whole community of self builders. The area looks awesome with individual houses, unlike many of the new build estates which IMO have no character / outside spaces.

We drive past it regularly (Mrs T's folks live in Blackthorn). Very impressive.

Our house was built in the 1880s. It was surprisingly warm when I bought it (despite no central heating and no double glazing) in 89 (yes, 1989, clever sarky wanker clogs, about to reply smartarsely, you know who you were about to be :lolol:). The main issue is the partition between inner and outer brick is only about 2 inches - enough to let damp through but to narrow for cavity insulation.

Anyway, I spent three times what I bought for the house on an extension last summer, and the spec is insane. With a vast chunk of the back of the house now 'covered' with new build, in winter it is like taking a hot water bottle to bed. We hardly used the central heating at all last winter. Now, in the summer, the clever ceiling windows and clever cool flooring keep us lovely even when it is face-meltingly hot outside. The cry this summer has been 'shut the doors to the patio - you're letting the bloody heat in!'.

You gets what you pay for. If you can influence the design yoursef, upgrade the spec, and have someone who gives a shit doing the job. Certainly, never skimp if you don't have to, and spend what you have rather than waste your spare money on holidays, prostitutes and drugs.

ps also we have an 80 foot Victorian garden. I agree with posts above about housing crammed together with no outside space. Disgraceful. There are four new estates going up in Fav right now. Big houses but tiny gardens. Presumably to accomodate planning, and proximity to neighbours, the windows are all tiny. No wonder so many people are mad ****ers. I'd be a mad ****er if I had to live like that.

Diablo

NSC Patron
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
For hundreds of years builders learnt how to build better...........In the last thirty years they have learnt how to make them cheaper,Yet more expensive !!

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
dont know why anyone is surprised, been common at least 20-30 years. and they are small too. its what happens when building land is restricted and regulations focus on minimal standards, allowing builders to do "good enough" rather than to the satisfaction of the market.

Charlies Shinpad

Jul 5, 2003
Oakford in Devon
I was an appointed person working for a timber frame company putting up these houses on Persimmon sites.
Horrific workmanship goes into making them and if you buy one that's been erected in the winter, by the summer you will be getting them back in to sort out the caberdeck floor which will have dried out and warped by then.
The profit they make in each house is obscene

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here