Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] QR Codes, does anyone use them?

• Thread starter Deleted member 2719
  • Start date

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
I did some work at Exeter University around 8 years ago, we put up temporary signs for 3 years all around the development with QR codes linking to a webpage explaining about the works. At the end of the project I was told by the University IT bods that they’d been used maybe 10 times during the entire project.

Strange, I’ve been with Vodafone for the past 18 months, switched from BT, can’t fault the Vodafone service or router at all. Had Sky also previously, and to be fair the Vodafone one has been the most reliable out of all of them. All of them have poor customer service but theirs is by no means the worst.
:shrug:

Got any Apple devices connecting to the wifi? I had no end of problems with the router dropping the wifi signal and needing resets. I've heard since I left that the particular router they supplied me might have a major bug if an iOS device is on the network.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Used every day in China about 4-5 years ago. Useful for speeding up sales with wechat and also for advertising. Better way of getting customers actually onto your social media etc. if they see a flier or get a business card than them telling you they'll type in the details later.

Extremely easy and quick to use even for older generations. No idea why they didn't take off.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
No idea why they didn't take off.

I have very good idea. I suspect it's because people didn't have a clue what they were or what they did. Perhaps the clever people that invented them should have had the nous to realise that they needed to be publicised, and that the idea needed to be sold and explained to people.

Is that square thing in post #20 a QR code? If so, that proves my point. I've seen 'em all over the place, bur have had no idea what they did or what they were for; I've never heard of a QR code either, before this thread - consequently I've never used one. Nothing to do with me - they might as well not exist. I strongly suspect I'm not in a minority in the community at large.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I have very good idea. I suspect it's because people didn't have a clue what they were or what they did. Perhaps the clever people that invented them should have had the nous to realise that they needed to be publicised, and that the idea needed to be sold and explained to people.

Is that square thing in post #20 a QR code? If so, that proves my point. I've seen 'em all over the place, bur have had no idea what they did or what they were for - consequently I've never used one. Nothing to do with me - they might as well not exist. I strongly suspect I'm not in a minority in the community at large.
They're effectively a digital barcode. As such if part of the code is covered up they still work as the information is repeated.

phoenix

May 18, 2009
Use them all the time. just scan for app. In co-op yesterday for money off vouchers. Smart watch, Cinema lots of uses 2 for 1. Brilliant.

Brok

😐
Dec 26, 2011
Well, there we go. I've had one on my phone and never used it, because I didn't know what it was for. But this morning, the first one of these things I see is gonna get zapped!

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
I've been wracking my brains trying to remember why I used one once as I remembered doing so but not what for. It's just come back to me. It was to get money back on a packet of cereals I'd bought in Tesco which had a try for free offer.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Just realised I regularly that I use Web.WhatsApp.Com when at work and to log in to it you have to scan a QR code with your WhatsApp client on your phone. So use QR codes most weekdays.

BigBod

Dec 12, 2014
Just in the process of producing our annual catalogue, thinking of putting some QR codes on product pages to take you to the webpage for that product to expand on the information available, making the catalogue a bit more interactive. Catalogue is still our main selling tool but website becoming more popular.

Chinman3000

Sep 28, 2011
QR codes are the answer to the question how do you direct someone to a specific digital place (webpage, document, form etc) from a non-digital medium (eg paper). The alternative would be to list the likely long web address which lets be honest, nobody is going to want to type in are they?

Most smart-phones now have the ability to read them and navigate via the camera function where as you used to need a specific app, which again hindered the process.

For this purpose they are brilliant.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
My phone never had the app and it's only a year old!

So what age group do you think the users are in?

I’ve used them. I did a treasure hunt on holiday last year following clues with QR codes. I’m a pensioner.

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon
They're on all boarding passes now aren't they? Don't you have to scan it before entering airport security - and then again before boarding the plane.

Edit - or is it just a bar code? Same thing really.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here