Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

QPR set to settle Financial Fair Play wrangle with Football League for just £8m

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I hear ya, but in reality, what does £250k buy in the Championship? That's barely six months wages for many Championship players, and without even thinking about transfer fees, signing on fees and so on. A League Two club might have made actual use of that. To Forest, it's a drop in the ocean. Couldn't have happened to a nicer manager :lol:
It got them Gary Gardner for a half season loan - brilliant.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
It got them Gary Gardner for a half season loan - brilliant.

He seems to have been a lot better for them than he was for us. So money well spent I suppose.

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
So really it's worth all the teams with rich backers to flout and break the laws of FFP as you seem to get away with it.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
So really it's worth all the teams with rich backers to flout and break the laws of FFP as you seem to get away with it.

Only if you get promoted.

We have a rich backer though, he put his money into a spanking new stadium and training facilities rather than pay Joey Barton £70,000 a week and see his team relegated after one season from the PL.

#TeamTony

Brighton TID

Jul 24, 2005
Horsham
So gentlemen, here are the RULES that everyone signed up for at the start of the season. The RULES which were put in place, authorised and rubber stamped before the big kick off, the RULES which are designed to make the game of football fairer for all, and prevent the boom and bust scenarios of past clubs who try desperately to buy success, and may I add, cheat the fans, the local business communities and themselves.

But don't worry if you find that you have ignored the RULES to which you signed up and find that you have overspent come the end of the season, whilst everyone else has cut their cloth accordingly to suit the RULES, because quite frankly, it won't matter a ****ing jot. Basically gentlemen, these RULES are a complete, utter, gutless waste of time.

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
If the football leauge get the money from QPR and doesn't give to the leauge clubs that did not break the rules I hope they give to grass roots football who scrape money together and play in shit pitches .

Mileoakman

Aug 11, 2003
The name gives it away
If the football leauge get the money from QPR and doesn't give to the leauge clubs that did not break the rules I hope they give to grass roots football who scrape money together and play in shit pitches .

Sorry to disillusion you but I think your find that all monies received have to go to charity, apparently the Premier League insisted. It wont go to the clubs.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Sorry to disillusion you but I think your find that all monies received have to go to charity, apparently the Premier League insisted. It wont go to the clubs.
Surely that should be if a promoted club, that's in the PL, pays the fine. QPR wouldn't be paying the fine if they hadn't been relegated to the Championship, and in fact, they're not paying the fine (which was more like £50m) at all are they, they're settling out of court, so I'm not sure the PL get to choose where the money goes from a club that isn't in the PL.

Mileoakman

Aug 11, 2003
The name gives it away
Surely that should be if a promoted club, that's in the PL, pays the fine. QPR wouldn't be paying the fine if they hadn't been relegated to the Championship, and in fact, they're not paying the fine (which was more like £50m) at all are they, they're settling out of court, so I'm not sure the PL get to choose where the money goes from a club that isn't in the PL.

You could be right Triggaaar and I may have got it wrong. However I thought that the PL were insistent on where the fine goes, whether the club was still in the prem or not. I think at the time there was an implied threat from the PL that unless the Football League agreed, the miniscule amount of TV money the PL was going to give to lower league clubs was in jeopardy, especially as it hadn't been agreed at the time.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
You could be right Triggaaar and I may have got it wrong. However I thought that the PL were insistent on where the fine goes, whether the club was still in the prem or not.
Yeah maybe, I was only guessing based on the reason the PL were able to influence the fine in the first place.

Given that the FL are involved, I wouldn't be surprised to see the fine paid to the inconvenienced owners of QPR.

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
Yeah maybe, I was only guessing based on the reason the PL were able to influence the fine in the first place.

Given that the FL are involved, I wouldn't be surprised to see the fine paid to the inconvenienced owners of QPR.

My rather blurred understanding is that it was the PL veto that made the FL change its tack to go to charity. After all, once a club is relegated its PL money that is used for parachute payments. and they didn't want it being "squandered" on a FL fine that could possibly hinder the clubs return to the PL so they could recoup their losses.

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
double post. Wtf?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
My rather blurred understanding is that it was the PL veto that made the FL change its tack to go to charity. After all, once a club is relegated its PL money that is used for parachute payments. and they didn't want it being "squandered" on a FL fine that could possibly hinder the clubs return to the PL so they could recoup their losses.
I don't think they cared which clubs later get promoted to the PL, I thought they just wanted to make sure that clubs that had just been promoted didn't have to pay a fine, and then struggle in the PL. After all, it's those clubs that are PL members, not ones that have been relegated.

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
I don't think they cared which clubs later get promoted to the PL, I thought they just wanted to make sure that clubs that had just been promoted didn't have to pay a fine, and then struggle in the PL. After all, it's those clubs that are PL members, not ones that have been relegated.

Which is still true but forgot to write. Either way (promotion of relegation) it's still money being taken out of the PL. they don't want the extra income from a promoted team going back to the FL. and don't want parachute payments from a relegated team going to the FL. it's a crock however you want to look at it. I'm still lost as to how the PL and FL separated to create two separate identities that both could dictate to each other without the FA noticing. Don't all leagues come under FA duristiction? So any fines should be endless levels?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Which is still true but forgot to write. Either way (promotion of relegation) it's still money being taken out of the PL. they don't want the extra income from a promoted team going back to the FL.
I don't think that makes sense (although the money probably will go to charity). When a team is relegated, their money goes with them. If they are fined and have to pay money to the other Championship clubs, it makes no difference to the PL - the money stays with Championship clubs. I'm not talking about the money going to the FL itself.

I'm still lost as to how the PL and FL separated to create two separate identities that both could dictate to each other without the FA noticing. Don't all leagues come under FA duristiction? So any fines should be endless levels?
Yeah it's madness.

crookie

Jun 14, 2013
Back in Sussex
. I'm still lost as to how the PL and FL separated to create two separate identities that both could dictate to each other without the FA noticing. Don't all leagues come under FA duristiction? So any fines should be endless levels?

It was the FA which set up the 'Greatest league in the World', they couldn't bear to just run the National side and the FA Cup, so they set up the Premier league and we are where we are because of the FA and their wisdom

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here