Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Qatar World Cup 2022

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Of course its going to bull and annoying but was it that much more fun to play against Belgium, and will it be that more fun to play vs Poland? Sure, maybe a tiny bit more exciting but surely a lot of people will think its just dull and annoying with the breaks pretty much regardless of opposition.

Countries with 50+ million people, with some exceptions, are generally going to qualify to 9 out of 10 championships, realistically speaking the only time the qualifiers gets really exciting for you is when something goes terribly wrong.

Yes, it's predictable. Yes, the top nations are likely to qualify anyway. Fewer breaks/qualifiers is what I'm advocating.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Yes, it's predictable. Yes, the top nations are likely to qualify anyway. Fewer breaks/qualifiers is what I'm advocating.

Why do we have breaks in the league programme anyway? Rugby and cricket both carry on when there are international matches, why is football different?

Just carry on the games: if a team has 11 internationals missing ... well, that's tough

Yes Chef

Apr 11, 2016
In the kitchen
I'd love to go to both of these tournaments (although I had forgotten about the ludicrous group format until someone mentioned it earlier in the thread). I have tickets for next summer's Euro's, it just remains to be seen whether we're back with full capacity crowds by then.

We have tickets for Spain v Sweden in Bilbao but I'm not entirely sure if it will still go ahead, at least in Bilbao / with spectators. Fingers crossed though.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
World cup is all about money to get best sides to quarters. As usual joke quality of some of sides.

A bit bizarre bearing in mind that it is a global tournament and, like a lot of global tournaments, it's seeded. Tennis, rugby, cricket all have seedings in their tournaments. It's not a cup tournament like the FA Cup and even that has regionalised rounds so not a true random draw.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Qatar now randomly added to Group A of the European qualifiers because they want to play games ahead of the tournament. They are only added in some kind of entertainment manner as their games wont give points etc... still ****ing weird though but their relation to the states around them are not very good so perhaps they had a hard time getting friendlies.

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
Qatar now randomly added to Group A of the European qualifiers because they want to play games ahead of the tournament. They are only added in some kind of entertainment manner as their games wont give points etc... still ****ing weird though but their relation to the states around them are not very good so perhaps they had a hard time getting friendlies.

Qatar and Australia are also due to be competing in the Copa America in June which is being held in Argentina and Colombia.
Fingers crossed that it goes ahead as I'm due to go.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

I bet Nuno is well pleased with that - a couple of extra (utterly pointless) games for his Portuguese contingent to take part in. Host nations inevitably end up with 2 years of friendlies in the run-up to their tournament, its nothing new. But shoe-horning Qatar into an actual qualifying group for friendlies is just the latest example of FIFA, and world sport in general, sliding down their kecks, being eased over an oil barrel by the gulf states, in order to get royally pumped up the chuffer with another splurge of arab $$$.

We should expect nothing less from the corrupt grasping filth in Switzerland.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I bet Nuno is well pleased with that - a couple of extra (utterly pointless) games for his Portuguese contingent to take part in. Host nations inevitably end up with 2 years of friendlies in the run-up to their tournament, its nothing new. But shoe-horning Qatar into an actual qualifying group for friendlies is just the latest example of FIFA, and world sport in general, sliding down their kecks, being eased over an oil barrel by the gulf states, in order to get royally pumped up the chuffer with another splurge of arab $$$.

We should expect nothing less from the corrupt grasping filth in Switzerland.

Dunno about Nuno but could see Wolves Chinese owners happy about it. Apparently Portugal is one of their biggest markets and China/Qatar are really tight, wouldnt be surprised if this turned out to be economically advantageous in some way that I cant and more importantly wont try to figure out.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Hooligans will be licking their lips with those tougher nations.........

I heard on the radio today Durlston how an England fan had life changing injury’s from an attack by those Russian twats. He was just defending himself but I bet they got off lightly.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
I'm *salivating*...

fixtures.jpg

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
9 points would be a perfect start, 7 points okay.

You've got a bit of time to get a supersized TV installed, Crodo.

And, of course, subscribe to the matchday programmes. This is one set of qualifiers where you'll want the lot.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Always wanted to go to Albania for football. Annoying that fixture is in March

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
6,500 people have died so far building the stadiums and other infrastructure, thats 12 a day, how can they be allowed to get away with this

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here