Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Qatar 2022: Fifa taskforce says November/December is only option

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I was talking from a broader point. Tell them that your tournament shall be at a different time of the year within the bid. That bid should not be discounted on the strength of that.

i understand your broader point, im saying its part of the same problem. they didnt stipulate the time of year of the tournament. iirc no one did because it was assumed it would be in June as always. when challenged how they'd cope with the heat, they offered that they had technical solutions. if they had been honest, there may have been a different outcome. cant really seperate the rigging from the dishonesty, they brought their tournament now want to change one of the fundemental parts of it.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
i understand your broader point, im saying its part of the same problem. they didnt stipulate the time of year of the tournament. iirc no one did because it was assumed it would be in June as always. when challenged how they'd cope with the heat, they offered that they had technical solutions. if they had been honest, there may have been a different outcome. cant really seperate the rigging from the dishonesty, they brought their tournament now want to change one of the fundemental parts of it.
I don't think they ever paid any attention to the climate. They clearly didn't think beyond the money and gifts.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
They won't be getting drunk in Quatar. No Alcohol.
Officials have already said there will be alcohol on sale in certain areas.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I can't see this tournament going ahead in Qatar. Who will want to take time off work in November to go to a country with no booze and probably a dearth of fans and atmosphere and, in all likelihood, the threat of terrorism rearing its head? Since the bid was won we've seen the creation of ISIS. Yet the country has no experience of dealing with terrorism or a huge global event with big spectator numbers.

The Camel

Nov 1, 2010
Darlington, UK
I think if you polled English football fans whether we should boycott the event or not it would result in a 10:1 split in favour of staying at home.

SweatyMexican

Mar 31, 2013
There is another option, take the competition somewhere other than a blast furnace.

We can't do that since Fifa officials have already spent their ̶b̶r̶i̶b̶e̶s̶ friendly donations that they can't pay back.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
For all the talk about boycotts we know it's not going to happen. Apart from Europe, the US and Australia, the world is firmly behind Blatter (and even Europe is not wholly against Qatar). FIFA will get heavy about banning football associations if they don't toe the line and all countries will participate. That's been obvious for a number of years.

I imagine that in England. PL clubs would be exempted from the League Cup that season and, possibly, do away with FA Cup replays. There could be the possibility of PL clubs joining the FA Cup at the 4th round. It won't be a great season but there's not much England can do on its own

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
I can't see this tournament going ahead in Qatar. Who will want to take time off work in November to go to a country with no booze and probably a dearth of fans and atmosphere and, in all likelihood, the threat of terrorism rearing its head? Since the bid was won we've seen the creation of ISIS. Yet the country has no experience of dealing with terrorism or a huge global event with big spectator numbers.

The fact that according to some reports Qatar is a major funder of ISIS is slightly worrying to say the least.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
For all the talk about boycotts we know it's not going to happen. Apart from Europe, the US and Australia, the world is firmly behind Blatter (and even Europe is not wholly against Qatar). FIFA will get heavy about banning football associations if they don't toe the line and all countries will participate. That's been obvious for a number of years.

I imagine that in England. PL clubs would be exempted from the League Cup that season and, possibly, do away with FA Cup replays. There could be the possibility of PL clubs joining the FA Cup at the 4th round. It won't be a great season but there's not much England can do on its own

And Championship clubs as well then - England will get most of their players from there by then :whistle:.

Steve in Japan

NSC Patron
May 9, 2013
East of Eastbourne
It would be good if this was the start of FIFA unravelling. All it would take would be for 3 or 4 of the major European FAs to say sod this. I am not anti the World Cup but I do not want the domestic leagues disrupted so Budweiser, FIFA and Qatar can line their pockets.

Dec 15, 2014
Here
I don't think a climatic hazard should discount a nation from holding a World Cup. What I do object to is that the voting was rigged and an utter farce.

Just change your season for once or twice in a lifetime. No big deal.

Agreed. MLS takes a long break for World Cups every four years. It never works perfectly for every league. Make some adjustments one time. There will probably be a terrible winter in 2022/23 and everyone who attends the winter World Cup will truly enjoy the longer break.

Dec 15, 2014
Here
So to accommodate we will have:
1. Season 2021/22 finishing May
2. Season 2022/23 (Part 1) starting August, finishing end September
3. World Cup warm up games October
4. World Cup 2022 November
5. Domestic season warm up games early December
6. Season 2022/23 (Part 2) starts Boxing Day, finishing end of June
7. Season 2023/4 starting September finishing end of May

So its a two season knock on effect with a split season, which would need to apply to both the PL and Championship.

So it won't effect the Albion who will have dropped to Conference South by that time?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

i think the PL is a big deal, though probably not brave enough to stick two fingers at FIFA on its own. but lets say England and Germany, who's season will be very buggered by a 3-4month gap in domestic football, stand together against changing their season. the worst that can be done is expulsion from UEFA competitions, and without the English and German clubs that starts to look a bit shite for the sponsors etc. UEFA might like to use this as an excuse to assert more power too and back any boycott by its members.

Napier's Knee

Mar 23, 2014
West Sussex
Could this actually be a very clever plan to turn football into a summer game, as happened with rugby league? Admittedly that would mean FIFA thinking about more than money, but I do wonder.....

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
i think the PL is a big deal, though probably not brave enough to stick two fingers at FIFA on its own. but lets say England and Germany, who's season will be very buggered by a 3-4month gap in domestic football, stand together against changing their season. the worst that can be done is expulsion from UEFA competitions, and without the English and German clubs that starts to look a bit shite for the sponsors etc. UEFA might like to use this as an excuse to assert more power too and back any boycott by its members.

I don't even think England and Germany together would have enough clout. If they had Spain, Italy and Netherlands with them, then they could cause some disruption but it would need a common front and I'm not convinced that will happen

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here