Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Q & A Session with Paul Barber, (OBE . . . of course!)

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Has it ? Because stock has sold out, doesn't necessarily follow that club have been conservative in their orders. Demand has presumably outpaced all projections. Unless you know the numbers. !

Well the facts are:

The club often runs out of kit a long time before the end of the season.

When shirts are available at the end of the season, they're not discounted - and haven't been so for many years.

Albion kit is not readily available outside of the official store(s).

This season's shortages have been cronic, with the away shirt selling out well before Christmas.

So, yes, it's an opinion but I would absolutely describe the policy as conservative. Availability does not match other clubs.

This season (possibly related to global issues) it's cost the club a shedload of potetial revenue. And, again, I think it's a shame discounted kit isn't available to the less well-off.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
We have heard about sausage rolls and nothing about transport. but what questions were asked ?

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Well the facts are:

The club often runs out of kit a long time before the end of the season.

When shirts are available at the end of the season, they're not discounted - and haven't been so for many years.

Albion kit is not readily available outside of the official store(s).

This season's shortages have been cronic, with the away shirt selling out well before Christmas.

So, yes, it's an opinion but I would absolutely describe the policy as conservative. Availability does not match other clubs.

This season (possibly related to global issues) it's cost the club a shedload of potetial revenue. And, again, I think it's a shame discounted kit isn't available to the less well-off.
Yes. I know demand outsrips supply. And that demand - if its growing exponentially - is really hard to project. But without better sense of what drives supply (club orders ? , Nike supply chain ? ) then impossible to argue club is "conservative" or club should have done x or y. Given that they also don't want to be left with stock they can't shift.

PS: I agree about initiatives to support the community or less well off with tickets, discounted kit, opportunities. Perhaps over and beyond AITC. For example when you buy a ticket at Lewes FC - at the checkout if prompts you to make a donation so that a ticket can be given away etc. (which i think Lewes match the donation).

Last edited:

RandyWanger

Je suis rôti de boeuf
Mar 14, 2013
Done a Frexit, now in London
Nike needs better processes in place where orders don't need printing in one large go before the season starts so we can top up as we go to stock our retail locations, or they need to figure out a way to drop ship orders to fulfil online customers' needs globally. If they can't we should look for a kit manufacturer who has more modern facilities, processes and business practices.
Speaking as someone who's had decades working in retail digital transformations.

Dibdab

Sep 28, 2021
Has it ? Because stock has sold out, doesn't necessarily follow that club have been conservative in their orders. Demand has presumably outpaced all projections. Unless you know the numbers. !
It runs out of stock most years pretty early on in the season but this year has been a joke. Bigger question is definitely why don't they have a supplier with an ability to meet orders on a more dynamic basis so you can replenish stock more easily throughout the season.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
It runs out of stock most years pretty early on in the season but this year has been a joke. Bigger question is definitely why don't they have a supplier with an ability to meet orders on a more dynamic basis so you can replenish stock more easily throughout the season.
So its not just because, in your view, they didn't order enough. Its because of other issues re: supplier , that are perhaps out of their control ?

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
So its not just because, in your view, they didn't order enough. Its because of other issues re: supplier , that are perhaps out of their control ?
I'd like to ask Paul if potential supply problems would influence their decision on who gets the next kit contract. It would be interesting to hear his view.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I think there's a couple of valid questions about the supply of kit

Is there anyway to get repeat orders for when we sell out early. Obviously you wouldn't expect the prices from the supplier that you would get on a large original order but given the costs of materials, you would have to think there is still the possibility of making a profit. This would also allow the rate of demand to be used from the first order for any subsequent orders.

Is there not the possibility of heavy discounting any kit left over towards/at the end of the season whilst still not losing money, more as a service to Supporters who may not have the funds to purchase this season's kit at the beginning of the season and allowing a bit more optimism in the orders.

I do appreciate how the way a kit can go from WTF to Iconic in a few months (IIRC a bit like this years has) which can make the forecasts hard but shirley there's some ways round this seemingly insurmountable problem :shrug:

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Yes. I know demand outsrips supply. And that demand - if its growing exponentially - is really hard to project. But without better sense of what drives supply (club orders ? , Nike supply chain ? ) then impossible to argue club is "conservative" or club should have done x or y. Given that they also don't want to be left with stock they can't shift.

Okay, you're being super-pedantic, as per.

It's irrefutable that replica kit availability has poor at the Albion - especially kids' sizes, and not just this season.

Maybe the club under-estimates demand or maybe Nike can't supply what's ordered.

Would be great to hear a proper response (from the club, not you) to the on-going problems.

I mean, some (not me!) might suggest the club sticks with Nike - and ignores supply issues - purely for commerical reasons, links with the US etc.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here