Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Putting the offside flag up so late

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
That'd divide the grass roots crowd. At Primary School I played "goal hanger" so certainly would agree with you. In my older years I was a pub centre back and I'd much rather have stepped up two yards to win a free kick than chased after a pacy youngster who already had a two yard headstart, especially with a hangover!

Me too as a kid up the park with all me mates.

Then when I was at Fir park Boys Club I played as a winger - Defending for me was ''what other people did'':D

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
It has a knock on effect regarding the position that the offence took place is now 40 yards further upfield

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
Actually no - in the instance of a penalty, a goal, or a potential red card -then they go back and check the build up on the VAR, and if there was an offside, the subsequent outcomes would be chalked off (except violent conduct).

But if it leads to a corner or free kick - those would stand (even if there had been an earlier offside) as it would not be checked.
They wouldn't. What happens now is that the linesman doesn't immediately put his flag up for offside if there is a decent chance of a move leading to a goal, just in case he is wrong. But when play breaks down - that's when he puts the flag up.

If the linesman thinks it's offside and a defender has the ball and the offside man is coming to challenge, he puts the flag up immediately.

If there is an attacking move in progress he delays flagging. If a goal is scored, he puts the flag up, the ref gives a free kick for offside, and VAR checks to see if he was right. If the ball goes out for a corner or throw, he puts his flag up and the ref gives a free kick for offside and VAR isn't involved. If the ball goes for a goal kick or the keeper catches it, they play on - advantage.

So just like last year, if the linesman thinks the man is onside and they get a corner and score from it, the goal will stand; but if the linesman thinks the man is offside, they won't get a corner.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
I completely missed that there were new laws or new interpretations of existing laws for this season. Are there any other changes?

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
They trialed this and the penalty shoot out, so on the basis that the penalty shoot out is still with us, the offside change didn't achieve too much.

From what I recall from almost 50 years ago, players like George Best just used to stay upfield just outside the oppostion penalty area. So at least there was no continued offside flag when the keeper kicked the ball upfield, which used to happen a lot at the time.

I think the idea was to get more goals scored, but overall it didn't achieve that.

So they trialled it when George Best was playing and it didn't work? Not much has changed since then I suppose

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Lino became redundant with VAR. Now with the new rule there’s absolutely no logical reason to keep them. They actually now increase the chance of mistakes. Naturally, despite everyone else knowing this, the authorities will take another 15 years before making the change.

They also adjudicate on the ball going out of course and do other things to help the referee control the game. Refs need all the help they can get.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
They also adjudicate on the ball going out of course and do other things to help the referee control the game. Refs need all the help they can get.

Funny, though they COULD do these things of old, they seem to wait for the VAR to make judgement. As do ref's half time. And the new rule is another spectacular time wasting introduction by clueless officialdom - as if game needs anymore of that. Shambles. We'll be getting less than 15mins actual play before long.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here