Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Pussy Riot

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
These are three brave women. Protesting against Putin takes courage - but in these times it is all played out in front of rest of the world.

girls.jpg

Their trial is now on.

"This is a trial of the whole government system of Russia, which so likes to show its harshness toward the individual, its indifference to his honour and dignity," Nadezhda Tolokonnikova, 22, one of the trio on trial said in an impassioned statement. "If this political system throws itself against three girls … it shows this political system is afraid of truth."

essbee

Jan 5, 2005
I agree. Not sure why we let Putin turn up here for the Olympics - since nothing on this
front seems to have happened.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
They lost a lot of support - Russia is a surprisingly religious country - when they did their protest in the main cathedral in Moscow. Perhaps they should have picked a different venue?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
They lost a lot of support - Russia is a surprisingly religious country - when they did their protest in the main cathedral in Moscow. Perhaps they should have picked a different venue?

You think so? I'm not too sure and their choice of venue certainly alerted the world to their cause.

Last edited:

Dandyman

In London village.
Very brave young women. People are now seeing how repressive modern Russia is.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
While I applaud their bravery and it is a noble cause, as an aside:

I bet the music is F***ING WOEFUL. Am I right?

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
the band is called f***ing pussy riot and it turns out they are not from brighton. thats what i find most astounding about all this.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I do have a DVD of the same name, but it doesn't feature any of the young ladies from the band..............I think.

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
Bizarre Brighton link here...

http://www.theargus.co.uk/news/9878530.Brighton_store_s_boost_thanks_to_Pussy_Riot_trial/?ref=mmsp

It has been one of the most high profile trials with international coverage.

So what better place could there be to see your product on show than during the Pussy Riot trial?

Michael Robson, the owner of North Laine shop Junk Funk, was stunned to see Russian band member Nadezhda Tolokonnikova wearing one of his T-shirts.

Members of the group were on trial accused of hooliganism motivated by religious hatred following an anti-Vladimir Putin performance in a Moscow cathedral.

The trial has been screened across the globe meaning Mr Robson’s T-shirt, which shows a gold Communist fist on a blue background and the slogan No Pasaran! which translates as “They shall not pass”.

The expression was used by Dolores Ibárruri Gómez, a member of the Communist Party of Spain, in her famous No Pasarán speech on July 18 1936 during the Spanish Civil War.

Mr Robson said: “We designed the T-shirt last year.

“We had no idea she would be wearing it.”

The shop received an order from Russia but could not have imagined who the mystery shopper was.

Mr Robson added: “We got an order from Russia for one of our T-shirts a couple of months ago but obviously we did not know who they were. We certainly did not know she was part of the band.”

The international exposure has seen sales rocket, with orders coming in from across the world.

He continued: “There has been loads of interest in the T-shirt especially on the website. It’s all been a bit crazy. There are lots of people buying the T-shirt from all over the world. People are seeing the trial, Googling it and coming to our website. It is really great.

“We have another one which says La Pelaton and that has become really popular after Bradley Wiggins and the Tour De France.

“We try and stay ahead of the game a bit.”

The group were today found guilty of the charges and all eyes will now be on the courtroom for the sentencing.

Mr Robson said: “It will be interesting to see what happens at the sentencing.”

Last edited:

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I quite like that Russia still jails people for this kind of thing. It makes me feel safe, familiar y'know? Like a Sunday Roast. Plus I like normally dignified news readers like John Himphries having to say Pusy Riot on the wireless.

tgretton87

Shoreham Beach Seagull#2
Jul 30, 2011
They deserved to be arrested..... For having a shocking name.

Pussy Riot sounds like slang for some sort of Sexually transmitted disease.

Although I do admire the cause Putin is a tool.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here