Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Purpose of Living

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Back to the original point. Why is it CLEARLY the point to keep the species going? What is the reason or purpose? The earth was here long before humans and would continue long after of we die out (unless you believe some made up nonsense in a fictional text of course).

And the alternative? If you don't keep the species going then it only survives one generation. Hardly time for the primordial solution to go from a coloured water to a thick chower!!! Doesn't mean everyone has to but collectively the species tries to continue.

DTES

Jul 7, 2003
London
And the alternative? If you don't keep the species going then it only survives one generation. Hardly time for the primordial solution to go from a coloured water to a thick chower!!! Doesn't mean everyone has to but collectively the species tries to continue.

Everyone agrees that reproducing is necessary for the species to survive. But just because reproducing is essential for the species' survival doesn't mean that's its purpose. If I don't eat, I'll die - but that doesn't mean my purpose on this planet is to eat...

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
Interesting feedback. Especially the bit 'you lucky bloke'. I have many an a acquaintance that looks on with jealousy at my single life of world travel and bemoaning their suburban mundane boredom, what I do not understand however is that they chose that path? Did they fell they HAD to rather than they WANTED to.

I think the expression , tongue in cheek, should be used here.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
I don't understand why we assume there is a purpose. Why should there be one? Why can't life just... be?

There's no reason that should detract from it either - I'm genuinely very happy and loving life without believing in any kind of 'purpose' (despite the Albion's best efforts to bring us all down...).

I get that it's a natural question to ask - everyone will ask why/how we're here at some point - but why can't the answer just be that, beyond physical cause, there is no 'reason'; it just happened and is just happening?

Everyone agrees that reproducing is necessary for the species to survive. But just because reproducing is essential for the species' survival doesn't mean that's its purpose. If I don't eat, I'll die - but that doesn't mean my purpose on this planet is to eat...

I am liking this. You have nailed it for me.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
I don't understand why we assume there is a purpose. Why should there be one? Why can't life just... be?

There's no reason that should detract from it either - I'm genuinely very happy and loving life without believing in any kind of 'purpose' (despite the Albion's best efforts to bring us all down...).

I get that it's a natural question to ask - everyone will ask why/how we're here at some point - but why can't the answer just be that, beyond physical cause, there is no 'reason'; it just happened and is just happening?

Not a curry fan then?

Interested to hear your views, you are a good thinker and a philosopher, also a father. What would you say is the purpose of living?

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Interested to hear your views, you are a good thinker and a philosopher, also a father. What would you say is the purpose of living?

I'm a dad, not sure of the other two. The purpose of living? I don't think I know what that is. Sorry matey.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here