Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Punishment for the Super League Six

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
When you look at what happened to poor old Wigan. Bought by a corrupt owner who put them in administration immediately.

They get docked points.
Condemned to relegation.
Arguably no one within the club at fault.

It doesn’t seem fair.

There is a saying here in Malta when discussing enforcement of laws etc:
Strong wih the weak and weak with the strong.

That treatment epitomises it.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
I'd say UEFA are toothless and spineless but that would be an insult to gums and invertebrates.

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
Aren't the Super League they were going to join threatening the six with huge costs if they don't go ahead with that league ?

At only a £20,000,000,00 fine for leaving the Premier League it might be cost efficient for them to go back and re-start their Super League.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
I rather suspect that if they do it again it'll be a lot better planned than the shit show they conjured up this time round. As such I don't think they give a flying **** what the punishment for next time will be.

There won't be a punishment because next time they will get their act together and make it work for them. They will simply out flank Sky (sorry i meant The EPLaundry) and UEFA.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Currently the big six need to convince just one other club (Everton, West Ham, Leicester) to vote with them, and they can then block any rule changes that they want. Now that needs changing.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
It's the statement of what future sanctions will be that pisses me off, they now know what they will have to work with/around to get what they want, and it includes keeping Premier League status, but with a 30 point handicap, and a £20M fine. If that happens, it makes the PL shit, because whoever wins it has had a 30 point advantage over several teams, the press will publish 2 tables, with and without deductions, and the Super League will possibly look like a fairer competition. For me, if they do it, they should be kicked out of the English pyramid altogether, and have to start in at the bottom if they want back in.
The only thing stopping them is supporters not supporting it, they came close to cutting open the goose that lays their golden egg, and they know it. If they find a way to go ahead and keep the fans on board, it's going to happen.

Sirnormangall

Sep 21, 2017
A substantial points deduction is the only thing that could conceivably prove a sufficient deterrant. 30 points though simply isn't enough, with the amount that a top 6 side is going to amass over a season, just dropping 30 points p;robably wouldn't leave them with the threat of relegation.

That said. like it or not, l can see some sort of breakaway league happening eventually, it isn't a matter of if, but a matter of when. Sooner or later enough ground will be given bny the FA and Premier League to enable it to go ahead. Sad l know.

I agree re substantial points deduction but it should be applied now. If teams leave to set up a super league, how will the Premier League apply a points deduction on them in their new league?! Stable door and horses......

Mental Lental

Jul 5, 2003
Shiki-shi, Saitama

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I agree re substantial points deduction but it should be applied now. If teams leave to set up a super league, how will the Premier League apply a points deduction on them in their new league?! Stable door and horses......

Legally I suspect they would be on very dodgy ground if they tried to apply the points deduction now, ie coming up with a punishment after the crime was almost committed. This year aside, a 30pt deduction could have seen Spurs and Arsenal relegated!! It would also probably see the top teams miss out on CL football.

chel661

Jun 10, 2021
Euro 2020 gets under way on Friday - and what was already going to be a unique tournament will be notable for several other reasons too.

The competition keeps its name even though it was delayed for a year because of the Covid-19 pandemic. It will now run from 11 June to 11 July 2021 across 11 countries, separated by 4,766km.

It is a first major men's tournament for Scotland since 1998, while England could have home advantage in nearly every game and Wales are at their second Euros in a row.

England and Scotland, who are in the same group, are two of the host countries in the first European Championship to be held across the continent.

They will be the first major men's tournament games held in the UK since Euro 1996.

With Wembley hosting group games, a last-16 tie, both semi-finals and the final, England would only have to play one match abroad if they win their group and go all the way.

Wales are also among the 24 teams, although they do not host any games.

View more infos in nowgoalhttps://bit.ly/3vXUHFf

Sirnormangall

Sep 21, 2017
Legally I suspect they would be on very dodgy ground if they tried to apply the points deduction now, ie coming up with a punishment after the crime was almost committed. This year aside, a 30pt deduction could have seen Spurs and Arsenal relegated!! It would also probably see the top teams miss out on CL football.
For the same reason it would probably be difficult to levy a fine or any other punishment, but surely there has to be a meaningful disincentive to avert this sort of thing arising again in future?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here