Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Drinking] Pubs that have gone downhill

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Not sure why pubs can get away with charging what they like for Neck Oil
Heineken own Beavertown. They generally go into pubs and offer / make a pub take Heineken really cheap, and then Beavertown which is expensive.

Good way of not eating their own marketing and making good money. Especially forced on Heineken owned Star Pubs.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patreon
Aug 24, 2020
Does anyone remember the Snipe on Carden Avenue, Patcham?

The only pub that was improved by turning it into a Sainsburys.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
A word about the Black Horse in Lewes ... Now when I pop in it is busy but the staff make time to chat, the punters chat and all are made to feel welcome.
I like The Black Horse. Decent choice of beer and a lively place. I remember watching us beat Forest there when we were in the Championship - some good solid Albion support there.

The BH doesn't seem to have the same love as other Lewes pubs but if I'm on my own, it's my choice for a pint

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Aug 8, 2005
The Swiss Cheese
The Lone Skier
The Zip Wire
The Waterfall

matski_98

Apr 16, 2012
Dart boards are harder to find now as well. And as for pottering around Shoreham playing bar-billiards in about three different pubs....
Weirdly there seems to be a trend now in Brighton pubs to replace Darts/Pool/Bar billiards tables with Toad tables

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I'd have a bit of patience and maybe try places a second time unless you've been completely ripped off. They all need our help and I for one am prepared to do my bit :wink: :drink:
Agree with this. There seems to be a lot of youngsters making their way in the hospitality sector and they, and the actual business, need to be cut some slack at the moment.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Whoa! In my yoof I worked behind the bar in several pubs. I can assure you there should have been a smog alert from the number of customers who lit their own personal bonfires. My clothes and my hair used to stink of fags at the end of every session. So, I am not sorry that smoking has been banned - at least you can now see the other end of the bar!
I used to work in bars and kitchens in Rottindean and Seaford when I was a teen. Virtually all the kitchen staff would smoke in the kitchen. The Rottindean chef/cook always has a fag on. Thinking back it was pretty grim.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patreon
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills