Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Drinking] Pubs that have gone downhill

kojak

Jan 17, 2022
Slightly off topic but pub-related, in recent years the lack of pool tables in pubs has been really noticeable.
Not massively into playing it, so doesn’t really impact me, but if someone asked me to name 5 pubs to play pool, I’d have to give it serious thought.

We’ve only got one snooker club now too (Castle St?).. I think.
last time I played in there Bingham was playing on Table One
needless to say,there was alot more interest on his table than mine :lol:

ken tiler

Nov 24, 2007
Brighton
The Caxton Arms has one, along with darts & Toad In The Hole.

I know it’s the opposite of the thread title, and it’s a popular opinion on here because of who runs it but the Caxton is excellent now. I used to go in there before Brighton games when they did a free BBQ and it was empty. Went in there a week or so ago and it was rammed. Nice to see.
Great, is this a recent introduction? I havent been in the Caxton for about two years . I noticed toad in the hole in the Independent in Queens Park Road the other night, which I hadnt been in since it was the Walmer Castle (ages ago)

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Was in the Welly for the England/Iran game. Harvey’s was great as were the barmaids. Neck oil seriously overpriced everywhere
I was there last year for a Lions game and it decent. Harvey's was good and they removed a stag do ten minutes before kick off so as not to annoy people

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
I have to say the dear old Bugle (off Lewes Road) isn't what it used to be. Quite a few of us have decamped to the Park Crescent round the corner, which has the added bonus of having Eileen (former landlady of the Bugle in its real ale heyday) as one of the barmaids.

The Bugle is rare because it's a pub that's gone downhill. Most pubs that 'aren't what they were' (the Preston Park Tavern being a shining example) are because they've been ponced up and are now little more than restaurants where you can have a pint with your meal. Far too many country pubs have gone that way - although I accept that if the alternative is closure then fair enough.
Had some lovely pints of Timmy Taylor in the Park Crescent the other night, 4.50 a pint.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Not sure why pubs can get away with charging what they like for Neck Oil
£6.60 is almost 2 pints of hophead in the real Duke of Wellington.

I must be getting old as I rarely see any good reason to go to Brighton these days. Just seems like a waste of money, even though I could justify the expense.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
We played the last gig in the Greys a few years back, looks like it's all back up and running again which is good . . . But has it gone down hill a bit? Geologically speaking? Maybe its gone up? Who knows.

Last edited:

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I think it’s more like you ‘graduate’ from pubs, I couldn’t think of a worse night out than the King & Queen and that’s based on having great times in there decades ago.

Give me a pub in the North Lanes over a seafront bar anytime…preferably still with a cigarette stained ceiling urinals containing cheap ‘lemon’ bleach blocs to chase down the trough!

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
Agree, but I wouldn’t call it a pub now.
Neither would I.
I realise I may have gone a bit rogue with including pubs that have ceased to be pubs in a list of pubs that have gone downhill, but I do think that becoming an Italian restaurant has made it a worse pub.
I think it's a shame, because I liked it before they did it up and ruined it (while it was still a pub). It seemed to attract a delightful cast of lunatics. Although thinking about it that may just have been because I was in there at 10pm on a Tuesday.

Mr H

Mar 8, 2012
LA
Although I used to play in the Brighton pool league at one time, I really miss bar billiards - seemed a more naturally real pubby type game. I think the Welly in Shoreham has a bar billiards table but cant think of one in Brighton. Also, re darts I noticed the newly refurbished Admiral (Napier) in Elm Grove seems to have two darts boards - perhaps its making a come back?
Here you go! https://barbilliards.proboards.com/board/76/sussex-bar-billiards

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
I am happy to announce the Bat & Ball is still the same, and has not gone down hill.....

It has not however improved and is still the worst pub in Brighton.
The Bat and Ball by the Level?

Lived round the corner from Baker Street for 15 years - went in to that pub once when I moved there - never did again 🤣

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
We played the last gig in the Greys a few years back, looks like it's all back up and running again which is good . . . But has it gone down hill a bit? Geologically speaking? Maybe it’s gone up? Who knows.
The best of the ‘older’ Brighton music scene was up in the Greys the 90s, either drinking or playing there when not gigging elsewhere.

Of course that’s years after the much earlier local music scene I was into at Varndean 6th - that included Baz Clifton & The Sliding Wardrobes in the late 70s. Later, Peter & The Test Tube Babies (great band) of course Boring Bob Grover and the Piranhas often seen frequenting the London Unity in Islingword Road which sadly has closed down. Then there was the more arty punk band, Birds With Ears with Ian Smith who played at the Zap Club and the other trendy performance artsy type venues of the 80s… god I miss the whole shebang of the 70s, 80s and 90s Brighton pub venue music scene - even slopping my beer all over the floor - with my ear inside a stack speaker at the Hungry Years head banging to Steppenwolf and Led Zep.

Everything’s gone downhill- all of it.

Gonna see what I can find on YT now,😎

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Saw a sad letter from the now ex landlords from the Queen Victoria in Rottingdean and their experience of a pubco. Some details on their website.
https://www.thequeenvic.co.uk/
:lolol:

I went there for a meal about 4 years back on a Saturday evening, the food was nice. We ordered 4 desserts but was then told 2 on the menu were not available, 2 of us didn’t fancy any of the other deserts on the menu and didn’t bother.
When the bill arrived we were charged for the 4 desserts, we went to the bar to pay the bill and explained they needed to deduct the price of the 2 desserts we didn’t have, the bar staff said we had to speak to the pub landlords but they had gone out to walk their dog and we had to wait for them to come back and dispute the bill with them.
I told the bar staff we had a bus to catch and they cannot charge us for food we didn’t have, paid for what we had and walked out.

Seem to be a few comments on Trip Adviser about the old landlord(s)
3170C408-B8F2-4BCE-A516-4700354EC594.jpeg

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
The best of the ‘older’ Brighton music scene was up in the Greys the 90s, either drinking or playing there when not gigging elsewhere.

Of course that’s years after the much earlier local music scene I was into at Varndean 6th - that included Baz Clifton & The Sliding Wardrobes in the late 70s. Later, Peter & The Test Tube Babies (great band) of course Boring Bob Grover and the Piranhas often seen frequenting the London Unity in Islingword Road which sadly has closed down. Then there was the more arty punk band, Birds With Ears with Ian Smith who played at the Zap Club and the other trendy performance artsy type venues of the 80s… god I miss the whole shebang of the 70s, 80s and 90s Brighton pub venue music scene - even slopping my beer all over the floor - with my ear inside a stack speaker at the Hungry Years head banging to Steppenwolf and Led Zep.

Everything’s gone downhill- all of it.

Gonna see what I can find on YT now,😎
The Richmond in the early 90's was important to me . Both playing and watching. I loved the fact that you could go out in town and be able to watch a band with little or no preparation. Add to that The Underground and Sister Rays and other indie clubs it was a good time to be into music.

And that doesn't even mention the dance music that was going on.

Just give me a time machine and my current understanding of how special those times were.

BrightonCottager

Sep 30, 2013
Brighton
Was in the Welly for the England/Iran game. Harvey’s was great as were the barmaids. Neck oil seriously overpriced everywhere
Perhaps it was a new barmaid, but she genuinely didn't know what real ale is. I had to point at the pumps and say 'its what comes out of those'.

tronnogull

May 17, 2010
Slightly off topic but pub-related, in recent years the lack of pool tables in pubs has been really noticeable.
Not massively into playing it, so doesn’t really impact me, but if someone asked me to name 5 pubs to play pool, I’d have to give it serious thought.

We’ve only got one snooker club now too (Castle St?).. I think.
And bar billiards has just about disappeared......

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
The Richmond in the early 90's was important to me . Both playing and watching. I loved the fact that you could go out in town and be able to watch a band with little or no preparation. Add to that The Underground and Sister Rays and other indie clubs it was a good time to be into music.

Gawd, how could I forget the Richmond and Sister Rays - The Richmond wasn’t my favourite venue though for some reason (was it the sound) but it was a good size venue. Maybe before your time but there was a small music venue at the bottom of West Street too that was popular with some of the local music promoters - I cant remember the name of it - on google earth, it looks like its been gutted and the name changed to ‘Lazer Zone’ - saw some great bands there in the 80s.

We could add the Alhambra of course to your list - again a great underground venue (literally) for up and coming punk bands of the late 70s.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Gawd, how could I forget the Richmond and Sister Rays - The Richmond wasn’t my favourite venue though for some reason (was it the sound) but it was a good size venue. Maybe before your time but there was a small music venue at the bottom of West Street too that was popular with some of the local music promoters - I cant remember the name of it - on google earth, it looks like its been gutted and the name changed to ‘Lazer Zone’ - saw some great bands there in the 80s.

We could add the Alhambra of course to your list - again a great underground venue (literally) for up and coming punk bands of the late 70s.
I don't rmemebr the Alhambra but if it was the late 70s I am probably a bit young. We also played gigs at the Hare and Hounds, The concord and (weirldy) Helsinkis. Lots more venues I am sure but the memory isn't the best.

A bit after us I saw a few good bands at the Free Butt.

If you are on FB you may be a member of this page https://www.facebook.com/groups/1485750291699467 which is great for nostalgia of Brighton's music scene.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here